BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

2012 135i (all stock) Dyno numbers, normal?

The car is a 2012 135i N55 6MT all stock, production date May 2011.
Based on my VIN the EDM according to realoem is an MEVD17.2, software version likely up-to-date - my DTC icon shows a skidding car, I'm assuming this is the "new" firmware, service records show no EDM updates, so likely came like this from the factory.
The car has currently 17,000 miles on the odo, I am the second owner.
Car is 100%, no issues whatsoever, engine bay clean as a whistle, fuel economy as good or better than official numbers, driven daily in spirited manner, oil temp always reaches normal by the end of each trip.

Previous owner drove the car sparingly, all city, never hard, short trips - basically the worst scenario, however oil was changed frequently and other than the battery my 1er needed nothing, checked out healthy at an indy BMW shop prior to purchase.

I had it on DynaPack dyno last week and I am a bit confused...
The average of three runs shows 282 ft/lb of torque (@3353RPM) at the wheels (hubs?), but the WHP ended up at 245 (@6064RPM).
There was an initial boost spike in the beginning of each run with ~301 ft/lb of torque, but I was told it does not count...
Sea level, 72deg, normal humidity, 91oct (canadian) gas.

On the street it pulls hard and smooth, no hiccups, no issues. Idles fine (675-680rpm), starts immediately, sounds super healthy.
So are those numbers normal?
The dyno operator suggested the possibility of carbon buildup... yes the mileage is very low, but the drive cycles until last April (before I got the car) were quite likely hurting the motor, or so it seems. But if so, how come torque looks fine to me, just not the WHP?
Any thoughts?

Last edited by vinylengraver; 06-25-2017 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
Based on my VIN the EDM according to realoem is an MEVD17.2, software version likely up-to-date - my DTC icon shows a skidding car, I'm assuming this is the "new" firmware, service records show no EDM updates, so likely came like this from the factory.
Car is 100%, no issues whatsoever, engine bay clean as a whistle, fuel economy as good or better than official numbers, driven daily in spirited manner, oil temp always reaches normal by the end of each trip.

Previous owner drove the car sparingly, all city, never hard, short trips - basically the worst scenario, however oil was changed frequently and other than the battery my 1er needed nothing, checked out healthy at an indy BMW shop prior to purchase.

The average of three runs shows 282 ft/lb of torque (@3353RPM) at the wheels (hubs?), but the WHP ended up at 245 (@6064RPM).
There was an initial boost spike in the beginning of each run with ~301 ft/lb of torque, but I was told it does not count...

On the street it pulls hard and smooth, no hiccups, no issues. Idles fine (675-680rpm), starts immediately, sounds super healthy.
The dyno operator suggested the possibility of carbon buildup... yes the mileage is very low, but the drive cycles until last April (before I got the car) were quite likely hurting the motor, or so it seems. But if so, how come torque looks fine to me, just not the WHP?
Any thoughts?
Dynapacks can read lower than dynojets and your results were also probably SAE corrected. A dynapack simulates load like a Mustang dyno would. Dynojets can simulate load too (eddy current dynos), but a lot of poor comparisons are still made by people who don't know the differences in dynos. A dynojet can also output in STD correction mode, which will read ~3% higher right off the bat than a Mustang dyno/Dynapack using SAE correction.

Not too many fully stock cars out there have been dyno'd on Dynapacks or even Mustang dynos for you to compare to. Results sound pretty normal though. especially since you're on 91aki. Might want to throw some 93aki in the tank if it's available.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
NDion80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2012 135i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post

Any thoughts?
I'm just curious to know where you went to get it dynoed and how much do they charge? I'm contremplating getting it done before I get a tune and after.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

This is normal. I just made 261HP 290 ft-lbs on a low reading Mustang dyno, and all I have is the PPK and Berk full street exhaust.

The reason the torque is higher is HP is simply a function of torque.

HP = Torque*(RPM/5252)

So, if all your torque is lower in the rev range, as it is on an N55, then as the revs rise and torque falls off, the HP stays fairly steady, or drops off a bit.
Appreciate 0