BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Past: 135i 6mt

rear fender liner

What do you guys do to it?

Im running a 18x9.5 et45 rear with a 265/35 mpss.

I rolled the rear fender just a tiny bit (about 4-5mm is all that was needed/would go) I clear the fender by hairs but I hit the liner hard as it floats around on top and extends past the actual fender lip.

I know I can remove it but don't want dirt, water, and trash getting caught up in there. Any good a;terminative solutions to retain the liner?

(I remember reading on here that you can mold it with a heat gun... not a chance, idk if there are different types of liners but mine looks like some kind pressed fabric mold that won't change shape... Ive thought of cutting it and gluing it to the outside with epoxy? rather not if i can avoid this
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokejka View Post
What do you guys do to it?

Im running a 18x9.5 et45 rear with a 265/35 mpss.

I rolled the rear fender just a tiny bit (about 4-5mm is all that was needed/would go) I clear the fender by hairs but I hit the liner hard as it floats around on top and extends past the actual fender lip.

I know I can remove it but don't want dirt, water, and trash getting caught up in there. Any good a;terminative solutions to retain the liner?

(I remember reading on here that you can mold it with a heat gun... not a chance, idk if there are different types of liners but mine looks like some kind pressed fabric mold that won't change shape... Ive thought of cutting it and gluing it to the outside with epoxy? rather not if i can avoid this
Don't think much can be done other than cutting that section which I agree is not a good idea. The sound of it rubbing on the liner should be quite low compared to hitting the fender though....unless you're rubbing all the time because you're quite low? I have a slight touch on the liner but on deeper dips under heavy load, barely noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Don't think much can be done other than cutting that section which I agree is not a good idea. The sound of it rubbing on the liner should be quite low compared to hitting the fender though....unless you're rubbing all the time because you're quite low? I have a slight touch on the liner but on deeper dips under heavy load, barely noticeable.
yea i am lowered, not too low, just about 3/4" lower than stock but since I barely clear actual fender every time it compresses just slightly more than the fender it rubs... so all the time when I go over any imperfection
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yea i am lowered, not too low, just about 3/4" lower than stock but since I barely clear actual fender every time it compresses just slightly more than the fender it rubs... so all the time when I go over any imperfection
That is quite annoying, I'm not as low so that's why I don't notice it. One thing I was thinking about when I was looking at it for the same reason was to somehow fasten it to the inside of the fender since it's so loose. You can push it up with your hand very easily, so there's lots of play and slack there. If there was a way to attach it to the inside of the fender to keep it in that position it would solve your rub issue. May be a way to fasten / glue a small plastic block to the fender first, and then just use a washer and screw to attach to that block through the fender liner (not too deep mind you as you don't want to screw into the metal of the fender lol).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is quite annoying, I'm not as low so that's why I don't notice it. One thing I was thinking about when I was looking at it for the same reason was to somehow fasten it to the inside of the fender since it's so loose. You can push it up with your hand very easily, so there's lots of play and slack there. If there was a way to attach it to the inside of the fender to keep it in that position it would solve your rub issue. May be a way to fasten / glue a small plastic block to the fender first, and then just use a washer and screw to attach to that block through the fender liner (not too deep mind you as you don't want to screw into the metal of the fender lol).
exactly right so I was thinking of going the epoxy route to just "glue" it to the outside but that just doesn't seem right. The idea of glueing something out of the way on a car never seems right.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

offset

what sizes are u running?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
what sizes are u running?
I'm on 255/35/18, on stock wheels (18x8.5 ET52), BUT, I have 10mm spacers so that effectively makes it an ET42 wheel. It's not as aggressive as your fitment for sure, so that's not helping in your case. I also had to roll the rear fenders about 5 to 7mm just at the rear where it meets the bumper to clear.

I actually see some scrubbing on the fender liner at the "front" of the wheel well also, not just the part that's (you might have this too, look at the fender liner on the front of the wheel well, not the part that's at the lip, you might have some scrub marks there). Not much can be done about that part though...and it's only on severe dips when the suspension is almost at max compression.

Ash
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm on 255/35/18, on stock wheels (18x8.5 ET52), BUT, I have 10mm spacers so that effectively makes it an ET42 wheel. It's not as aggressive as your fitment for sure, so that's not helping in your case. I also had to roll the rear fenders about 5 to 7mm just at the rear where it meets the bumper to clear.

I actually see some scrubbing on the fender liner at the "front" of the wheel well also, not just the part that's (you might have this too, look at the fender liner on the front of the wheel well, not the part that's at the lip, you might have some scrub marks there). Not much can be done about that part though...and it's only on severe dips when the suspension is almost at max compression.

Ash
damn I'm surprised you're rubbing. Your offset/tire is very conservative
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I have no guidance on retaining the fender liner. I cut pretty much all of mine out years ago.

My wheels (see profile) are 19" versions of yours and I'm probably a little lower than you. I could not get 255 PSSs to fit well enough even with full factory camber, rolled, pulled, etc. I did the rear brake hub mod and now I can probably go to 265s, my 255s fit with plenty of space.

You will have to do something to drive your car like that. For now, cut the liner out and be done with it. You are probably still rubbing at the back fender to bumper connection also. Good luck, keep us updated.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
damn I'm surprised you're rubbing. Your offset/tire is very conservative
Lol, don't even get me started, so pissed off because I did so much research, read the monster fitment thread, and there were plenty of examples of people with more aggressive fitment and no rubbing. And my suspension is not even that low.

Just bad luck I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Asbrr, you have an easy fix, remove your spacer, or go 5mm, etc. Also with our 9.5" wheels at that offset, our wheels are practically past he fender, in your case even with the spacer, it's your big tire.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Asbrr, you have an easy fix, remove your spacer, or go 5mm, etc. Also with our 9.5" wheels at that offset, our wheels are practically past he fender, in your case even with the spacer, it's your big tire.
Yea, thx Eyeman - I ran this setup without a spacer no issues, they were added later. That's where I started to push the limit a bit and got the spacer. Didn't like the tucked look and thought I could get away with it. Too late now, fender is rolled already so no going back, I don't really have a rub anymore except for very deep dips and it's very mild and only on the liner so I will live with it. What I really wanted was a rub free setup with a somewhat aggressive fitment but still conservative to what others are running.

Guess there's no free lunch with these cars when it comes to fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I have no guidance on retaining the fender liner. I cut pretty much all of mine out years ago.

My wheels (see profile) are 19" versions of yours and I'm probably a little lower than you. I could not get 255 PSSs to fit well enough even with full factory camber, rolled, pulled, etc. I did the rear brake hub mod and now I can probably go to 265s, my 255s fit with plenty of space.

You will have to do something to drive your car like that. For now, cut the liner out and be done with it. You are probably still rubbing at the back fender to bumper connection also. Good luck, keep us updated.
hey man, i remember talking to you about doing the hub conversion. I decided to go the EC7 route instead. I got bored with those so went VMR VB3 as those are my favorite wheel. I insist on 265s begin there. I do clear the fender. It doesn't even seem as though i touch the rear (I jacked the car tot the side and got someone to compress it so I could take a look. I am however hitting the damn liner... You weren't worked about removing it and getting that street dirt trapped in there? Any chance you have pics? I can't imagine what it would look like half cut out...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #14
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol, don't even get me started, so pissed off because I did so much research, read the monster fitment thread, and there were plenty of examples of people with more aggressive fitment and no rubbing. And my suspension is not even that low.

Just bad luck I guess.
I've noticed many cars are different, mine seems to accommodate width np. Ive rear so many people complaining about a 245 in front. I haven't had an issue with 2 deg of camber, It just barely touched with 0 camber and a roll (only on the connector part) and the rear I actually clear the fender, which everyone said would be impossible. All cars must have 0-10mm variation I suspect
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #15
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

FENDERS FIXED! Ill post a pic soon. (I didn't think so but I was definitely hitting the fenders and bumper tabs before) I got them rolled and pulled just slightly. Bumper tabs shaved... this is a must. I played with the liner and realized it moves. The trick is... (at least it worked for me) is loosen all the 8 and 10mm bolts on the liner and actually pull it towards the outside of the car... it sounds counterintuitive but it works. What happens is that the liner actually settles into the small left over space where the dent/metal curls up (as its near impossible to flatten that) and it follows the curvature of the actual fender. Before the liner would taper horizontally and create a shorter distance making it float around and hit the tire. ET45 18x9.5 265/35 MPSS 1" lowered with -2 camber (conservative) and i went over a heavy bridge joint yesterday at highway speed which usually is a mother$*$&$ and no issues, zero rub, pure suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FENDERS FIXED! Ill post a pic soon. (I didn't think so but I was definitely hitting the fenders and bumper tabs before) I got them rolled and pulled just slightly. Bumper tabs shaved... this is a must. I played with the liner and realized it moves. The trick is... (at least it worked for me) is loosen all the 8 and 10mm bolts on the liner and actually pull it towards the outside of the car... it sounds counterintuitive but it works. What happens is that the liner actually settles into the small left over space where the dent/metal curls up (as its near impossible to flatten that) and it follows the curvature of the actual fender. Before the liner would taper horizontally and create a shorter distance making it float around and hit the tire. ET45 18x9.5 265/35 MPSS 1" lowered with -2 camber (conservative) and i went over a heavy bridge joint yesterday at highway speed which usually is a mother$*$&$ and no issues, zero rub, pure suspension.
Excellent work! Yea I had to roll the rear edge of the fender where it meets the bumper (is that the tab you speak of?), the other parts of the fender were fine. I kind of understand what you mean about the liner, but curious to see pics. Please post with detail if you can, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
hokejka
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think I can post any of the liner as it looks normal its just hugging the top/outside curvature so much better now. I will post pics of outside.

Yes I am talking about that edge. Also behind, right where that edge is there is the white/yellow plastic that comes out, it can be obtrusive if you have an aggressive setup. Might not be on yours. Im guessing yours is probably just the liner.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #18
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think I can post any of the liner as it looks normal its just hugging the top/outside curvature so much better now. I will post pics of outside.

Yes I am talking about that edge. Also behind, right where that edge is there is the white/yellow plastic that comes out, it can be obtrusive if you have an aggressive setup. Might not be on yours. Im guessing yours is probably just the liner.
Ok thanks - I think I understand what you mean about the liner. Hopefully I also have some play in mine to move around with.
Appreciate 0