BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Euro Headlamps are legal in Canada - CMVSS 108.1

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108

I was doing some research today on the Amber reflectors issue - and came across this: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) regulates all automotive lighting, signalling and reflective devices in the United States. Like all other Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, FMVSS 108 is administered by the United States Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Canada's analogous regulation is called Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (CMVSS 108), and is very similar to FMVSS 108. The primary differences are:Both standards differ markedly from the ECE ("European") standards used in most other countries worldwide, not only in technical provisions, terminology, and requirements, but in format: Each European standard deals with only one type of device, while the single U.S. and Canadian standards regulate all devices.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

mmm... now, how to get them is our next step.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
mmm... now, how to get them is our next step.
Why don't you check with your dealer in Edmonton, and I will phone around Vancouver. That should be good for a laugh or two.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

hahaha, just like asking about the Winter Tyre packages...
did somebody get quoted $2,900?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

About what I would expect - lol. So who wants to be first?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep

hahah I need to talk to the one dealer about all sorts of things. I will get back to you if I can hold a straight face and ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Great find...
I'd be interested in this. ... if it's <$1000 of course.
      09-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Yup, I was aware of this... I sourced some from Sweden from a fellow 1addict over there.... extremely pricey though. Should be here within a week or so, and I believe that I will be the first in North America (except for Mexico, which I found out gets clear headlights... whoops! Should have sourced from there instead as it would have likely been A LOT cheeper, plus NAFTA etc.) to switch to the clear versions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

*NOTE* - I realize that spending a crap load on headlights is ridiculous but I really really really don't like the amber reflectors.

I will post a DIY with photos when they arrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
Yup, I was aware of this... I sourced some from Sweden from a fellow 1addict over there.... extremely pricey though. Should be here within a week or so, and I believe that I will be the first in North America (except for Mexico, which I found out gets clear headlights... whoops! Should have sourced from there instead as it would have likely been A LOT cheeper, plus NAFTA etc.) to switch to the clear versions.

*NOTE* - I realize that spending a crap load on headlights is ridiculous but I really really really don't like the amber reflectors.

You are THE ONE!!!!! OBE ONE KENOBI!!!

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

I must be wierd...I like the amber.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post

What side of the road do they drive on in Sweden? The headlamps should be for Left Hand Drive card so the lamps align properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
What side of the road do they drive on in Sweden? The headlamps should be for Left Hand Drive card so the lamps align properly.
Yup, you are 100% correct, as the light pattern is different on left hand drive cars vs. right hand drive cars. They drive on the right hand side of the road same as us in Sweden. It isn't necessarily how they align as they both fit the same, but where they shine on the road, which I assume is what you meant.
Appreciate 0