E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So I guess e90 owners are mean here...

02-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #89
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
You're probably thinking of Benedict Anderson and "imagined communities," whereas a nation's social structure is so designed that people within it imagine themselves as belonging to the same group as everybody else within the same social structure (nationalism). Imagined communities are theorized as a strong factor in modern nationalism or imperialism.

For a modern example, if you were to traveling abroad and ran into another American in a foreign locale (say, China), you would immediately identify them as a countryman and choose to associate with them as such, whereas you might not ever directly associate with them otherwise (the only thing that you might have in common is that you belong to the same imagined "community," which only becomes apparent when you're both placed into an unfamiliar environment). Likewise if you run into a university grad from the same institution as the one you attended: you might be inclined to identify with them in most parts of the world, unless you were actually on the campus of said institution (where they could have belonged to a completely different social group).

As an aside, I always wondered if and when I would ever need that knowledge.
I think we will just call you Professor akhbhaat from here on in!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #90
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Cool concept

Quote:
You're probably thinking of Benedict Anderson and "imagined communities," whereas a nation's social structure is so designed that people within it imagine themselves as belonging to the same group as everybody else within the same social structure (nationalism). Imagined communities are theorized as a strong factor in modern nationalism or imperialism.

For a modern example, if you were to traveling abroad and ran into another American in a foreign locale (say, China), you would immediately identify them as a countryman and choose to associate with them as such, whereas you might not ever directly associate with them otherwise (the only thing that you might have in common is that you belong to the same imagined "community," which only becomes apparent when you're both placed into an unfamiliar environment). Likewise if you run into a university grad from the same institution as the one you attended: you might be inclined to identify with them in most parts of the world, unless you were actually on the campus of said institution (where they could have belonged to a completely different social group).

School loyalties and automobile brand loyalties and such function as microcosms of this phenomenon. Personally, I don't identify with other BMW owners as "fellow BMW owners," (just I wouldn't automatically introduce myself to another alumnus from the same undergraduate university) particularly because I don't think of myself as belonging to any group on strictly superficial "imagined" terms. Most of them have very different personalities and preferences than I do...you will find, of course, a greater degree of homogeny on a site such as this, a homogeny which does not exist among the greater whole of BMW drivers.

akhbhaat
Excellent. This afternoon I found the term for which I was looking: granfalloon. From Cat's Cradle [1963].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granfalloon
Benedict Anderson's imagined communities is referenced.
..and my wife thinks all I can learn from this forum is how to wax my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #91
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks

HAHAHA, its hard explaining my obsession to this forum to my girlfriend. She told her family and now they just make fun of me!
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #92
quincy
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
I think we will just call you Professor akhbhaat from here on in!
Agreed. He is bright,isn't He?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #93
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
You're not the only one in that situation. Half of my immediate family thinks that I waste hours here for entertainment purposes only. Little do they know...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #94
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

School loyalties and automobile brand loyalties and such function as microcosms of this phenomenon. Personally, I don't identify with other BMW owners as "fellow BMW owners," (just I wouldn't automatically introduce myself to another alumnus from the same undergraduate university) particularly because I don't think of myself as belonging to any group on strictly superficial "imagined" terms. Most of them have very different personalities and preferences than I do...you will find, of course, a greater degree of homogeny on a site such as this, a homogeny which does not exist among the greater whole of BMW drivers.
I believe that Groucho Marx made an insightful comment relating to this, that he would never join a club that would have him as a member.

What Anderson wrote vis-a-vis imagined communities is interesting on a number of levels, but it was conceptualized before the Internet. I might have to go back and reread his definition and related text.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member