BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Tulipsuncle
Private
Rep
Drives:

My 135i test drive impressions

Drove an Alpine White 135i LOADED today in San Fran. It (unfortunately) was a auto trans. with paddle shifters, (I believe) lemon interior, the brown wood trim, sport, premium, etc. etc.

THE CAR

This is not an interior color combination that I would have picked out, but it looked really nice. I'm almost positive the interior was lemon, so you've got a lot of colors going on with the lemon, black, wood, but all together, I thought it looked surprisingly beautiful. The leather felt great (I'm regretting getting the leatherette). I think the bottom-line with the feel and look of the car, especially the interior, is that even if you're not a huge fan of the design, it's all such high quality and functional that it just works. To me it just feels like a car that you are getting your money's worth for, if not more. I haven't sat in or drive an EVO X or WRX STI, but there's no way the quality feel could compare.

THE DRIVE

I only drive on San Fran city streets, so really didn't get to open it up completely. I don't want to disappoint anyone, but to me, I didn't feel any "beastly" or "ear-ripping" power. I attribute this mainly to the automatic tranny and the fact that I really couldn't get it over 40mph, but I did gun it from a few lights. Another huge factor is that I'm going from a Miata, so the smoothness of the power delivery is probably deceiving to me. All I'm saying is that in the driving conditions that I drove in and with the auto, it did not feel any sort of scary fast.

I also (and probably for the same reasons listed above) did not hear that evil exhaust or intake note that I was expecting. The car seems pretty quiet to me. I heard it open up a little bit on those quick launches, but it sounded quite restrained.

OVERALL

It may seem like I was disappointed by the drive, but not really. I think I just need a stick and some more open road to really appreciate the car. I really am in love with the car and cannot wait to pick mine up in a week or so.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Tulipsuncle - I too am coming out of a Miata, and I think I understand what you're refering to. I had a chance to drive a 135i last month and as I was driving away from that event, in the Miata, I wondered just how good the 135i really is. Then it hit me, the Miata is the reference standard I've used for years in chassis communication. The stinking Miata is 'alive', and what dawned on me was the fact that I had transitioned from the Miata to the 135i and everything felt natural - perfectly familiar - shifter, clutch, steering (though with less feedback than the Miata).

Now, my Miata is pretty much bone stock - no power adders. But I've had a chance to drive some pretty powerful cars over the past 10 years thanks to some good friends, and I really like the grunt available in the 135i.

Good to see some Miata owners considering this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I drive an extensively modified 1992 Miata, a car that I bought new 16 years ago -- and the last car I've bought for myself until the 135i.

A Miata sours you for a lot of other cars, with its almost eerie responsiveness. I have come back from a lot of dealerships thinking "Unh-uh" over those 16 years. Over that time, I've also installed new intake, headers, exhaust, racing suspension, racing wheels, racing tires -- even a complete Mazdasport racing engine.

It took the 1er to finally catch my eye. And the good news is that my wife will be adopting the Miata as "her" car when the Bimmer finds its spot in our garage -- so that means no tearful goodbyes.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Tulipsuncle
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the input. My order is in for the 135i and I should have it in a week. I loved the car after driving it...the heavy feel and smoothness and quietness compared to what I'm driving is something I'm sure I'll get used to and end up enjoying. I really think the stick is going to make all the difference in the world to me as well. No offense to anyone, but getting this car in an automatic seems like a sin to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
allan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93, barbera/cream

test drove it ??

......I didn't feel any "beastly" or "ear-ripping" power. I attribute this mainly to the automatic tranny and the fact that I really couldn't get it over 40mph, but I did gun it from a few lights....

40??? - How can you judge it?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

YAH, an automatic is NOT what this car was designed for. SORRY auto people.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I got an auto, and I couldn't be happier with my choice (even though it means the fiance has put on about a quarter to a third of the total miles. For me I had waffled back and forth between auto or manual, but I am extremely pleased with my decision. I am not the driver I would need to be to fully enjoy this car as a manual and the auto tranny is top notch. This thing is fast even in an auto, the fiance pulled up next to a gto and 350z yesturday and it is a good thing she was driving because the break in would have went out the window if it was me.
      03-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

CAVEAT: This is simply IMHO....

Not to start a war here but....I've driven Miatas and other Japanese cars and I never got the feeling that you guys describe. To me they feel disconnected with the road. Meaning I don't get that road feeling associated with German cars.

Having said that it could be that I have driven mostly European cars and specifically German car so I am biased.

Cars like the Miata mostly remind me of 60's and 70's British style roadsters. TR6's, TR7's, MG Midgets which I have droven a lot. In fact I always felt that the Miata is what the British should have created to stay in business. An evolution of those cars I mentioned.

I did once drive an RX-7 turbo that I thought was really nice.

I can't really express it in words....it's a feeling kind of thing..sorta like that girl that just knocks you out and make you do nasty things.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I drove one this morning. It reminds me of my old '83 GTI, and that's a good thing. It begs to be flogged, but unlike my GTI, you WILL get in trouble with this one if you do! It is deceptively quick, but certainly not overwhelming.

I wanted to check one out to see if I wanted to change my order, but I'm leaving it as-is, just like the one above.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Tulipsuncle
Private
Rep
Drives:

It seems like it's more a matter of what you're used to than what is "good" or "bad". The difference between a 135i and a miata (especially earlier models) is huge in terms of sophistication and rawness. My miata is the sort of car that I could wring out in everyday driving; it was fairly rattly, rev-happy, extremely light and has more of that go-cart feel. Driving the 135i and other BMWs to me you have this heavy, substantial, insulated feel that will take some getting used to for me. Everything is more refined and, well, less go-carty. I don't care if there was a 600hp engine in the 135i, it would still feel that way to me compared to my 160? HP miata. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. Obviously, I think it's different in a good way or I wouldn't be buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The 1000+ lbs. weight difference surely has something to do with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Hortos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 / 2018 M240i

test drove a 135i yesterday compared to my z4 it feels very very similar until you try take it to the limit then it rolls alittle but I'll take that for over 100 more hp and a backseat. I love the roadster but its more sport than luxury. I will have to wait and see how insulated the convertibles are. One weird thing about the car is that at very low speeds it feels like it wants to pull away from you when applying throttle. I had a 82 745i and it felt the same like there's a rubber band pulling the car. Must be a bmw turbo thing
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan89 View Post
......I didn't feel any "beastly" or "ear-ripping" power. I attribute this mainly to the automatic tranny and the fact that I really couldn't get it over 40mph, but I did gun it from a few lights....

40??? - How can you judge it?
go drive a vette 0-40mph, even a previous gen vette with only 350hp 0-40 and then tell me how you CAN't judge acceleration by 0-40.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Based on my previous BMW's and yesterday's 135i test drive, I would advise those who want more feel to swap the wheels and tires with LTW wheels and non-RFT performance tires.

It will make a significant difference, and you can easily save 10-12 lbs per corner without breaking the bank. (On the 335, you can save 60-65 lbs of total unsprung weight).

That, coupled with the "free camber mod" at the front should go a long way...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
YAH, an automatic is NOT what this car was designed for. SORRY auto people.
I beg to differ... :smile:

I've been a manual guy for over 25 years, but the Steptronic AT mates up very, very well to the power delivery of the N54. In the real world it should be consistently faster for most drivers as evidenced by same setup in the 335i. This isn't your dad's 3-speed Turbo-Hydramatic...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Based on my previous BMW's and yesterday's 135i test drive, I would advise those who want more feel to swap the wheels and tires with LTW wheels and non-RFT performance tires.

It will make a significant difference, and you can easily save 10-12 lbs per corner without breaking the bank. (On the 335, you can save 60-65 lbs of total unsprung weight).

That, coupled with the "free camber mod" at the front should go a long way...
thanks for referring to the free camber mod. wouldn't have gotten my attention otherwise. there's a good explanation here: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_camber.shtml
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
I beg to differ... :smile:

I've been a manual guy for over 25 years, but the Steptronic AT mates up very, very well to the power delivery of the N54. In the real world it should be consistently faster for most drivers as evidenced by same setup in the 335i. This isn't your dad's 3-speed Turbo-Hydramatic...
yep, b/c of the fat torque curve you don't need a manual. manuals are really useful on cars that you need to flog to keep in their powerband.

it might be faster with an auto but you won't get the feeling that comes with the manual. I'm not getting the car to race. I want to drive it on the streets. If this was a track car I'd go with the paddles - its gonna be faster through turns and in a straight line - that's why racecars use paddles.

but for daily driving i want to feel the manual all the time. feeling just can't compare. although a lot of people complain about traffic, for me its the opposite. the manual gives me something to play with in traffic. automatics are just boring and they're even more boring in traffic because you don't have anything to do with your time. autos are good for people that wanna put on lipstick while they drive, talk on the phone, eat, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #18
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Getting the Auto Trans is no different than me and my "flat" non sport seats. It's a personally taste and doesn't mean the individual is any less of a driver.

I love a 6Spd, but unless you live in the middle of no where...traffic kills the 6spd experience real fast.

I also got the auto because of this.

:drinking: