BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

How do you clean oil stains from the leather?

Today I was driving my friend and he accidentally spilled soup on himself and some of it fell onto the leather. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but there's now 3 or 4 oil stains on my passenger seat T__T

What method/products should I use to remove these oil stains? (Coral Red Leather, had it for about 1,200 miles so far)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

To clean leather that has oil / grease stains, there are a couple of different things to try. Use Leather Master Rapid S Cleaner is a concentrated cleaner specifically designed for automotive leather (including Nappa and Perforated) that have accumulated dirt, soil, and dye transfer, oil and body oils.

Dispense foam onto the car seats, work foam into the surface with a dampened sponge, allowing it to sit for one minute and wipe the foam away with a clean micro fibre towel, and then protect with Protection Cream
If the stain is fresh it can be treated and successfully removed with cornstarch rubbed briskly into the stain with your fingers until the heat from the friction is felt. The heat loosens the oil and allows the cornstarch to absorb the oil before the leather can; if the stain has ‘set’ use baking soda and leave over-night.

Or try (LM) Leather Degreaser, an aerosol product for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.

Covered leather - (P-Protected / Coated) Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic water-based detergent cleaner for polyurethane.

Prevention - since body dirt and oil are a big stain factor in leather, be cognizant of bare skin when you are in your vehicle. If you use suntan lotion a lot, be sure to use a towel when you get back in your vehicle so that the oil does not get onto your leather. You can also use a towel when leaving the gym as body oils/ perspiration contain organic acids that will stain.
Leather Master™ - Protection Cream will provide resistance against this type of stains, spills and provides the hydration necessary to keep the leather soft and supple
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Leatherique leather cleanser might work.
Appreciate 0