BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #89
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Can't wait for the review and mind me asking where you got it from?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #90
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
ordered the injen today from autoanything.com, couldn't wait for GB, take me off the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
Can't wait for the review and mind me asking where you got it from?
Go to autoanything.com and look up for injen cold air intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #91
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82vette View Post
as if you can offer GB price... we will be glad to
how about $279 + shipping?
I am just here to help and offer what we can.
If that is not a good enough pricing, that's cool too!

let me know... Shipping will be the direct FedEx rate from us to You!
      06-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #92
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WheelSTO View Post

I hate fedex as they charge broker fee and tax....
would you mind ship by USPS....
as long as shipped price dont exceed $300 to Canada.... I am interested
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #93
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

ok just finished installing and testing. First install went pretty quick and easy, definitely not cutting, welding or anything like that. You need a 6mm socket, 8 mm socket, 10mm socket, and 2 torx (sp?) bits but not sure of the sizes and a pair of pliers. In the instructions they want you to rotate the clamp on one of the lines running into the power steering resevoir but that is literally impossible to do so I left it, basically it could rub against the intake pipe and might scratch it. But if it does it is in a non visible area so I left it alone. In the instructions they show a small vacuum hose that needs to be plugged in for the 128 but the 128 doesn't have the vacuum line and the intake doesn't have the port for it, so basically you have to ignore those sections. So fired it up and let it idle, no immediate noise increase at all. listened for air leaks and checked all the fittings made sure all were tight. Then got in and revved the engine all seemed good so time for a test drive. Once on the test drive I could hear the difference, basically when accelerating there is a definite low frequency growl now coming from the front end. The revs come on quick and the slight hesitation I felt before is now gone. Once over 4000rpms it comes alive revs way better up to redline. Basically it revs more like my Prelude did but still not quite as free revving as the Prelude (but I don't think anything is going to rev as fast or as well as my beloved H22s). Once up to highway cruising speeds of 120km/h there was no interior resonance basically it is still as civil on the highway as it was before the intake. That's it for me I don't have a way to capture a sound clip, but basically unless it is a good mic it really isn't going to tell you much. But so far I am very happy with it, good sound under acceleration, nothing at any time that is beligerant or boy racer sounding and very civil at cruising speeds. Basically what I was expecting out of a CAI.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #94
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Injen said you had to run the car hard a couple of times before the ecu picks up a difference. Its a short ram intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #95
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Does anyone know the consequences of installing something like this in a car that is leased (aka not yours)? Is it possible that BMW would allow it if their certified technicians installed it? Or would they say essentially void my warranty unless I install the BMW intake instead?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #96
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:

Quote:
as long as shipped price dont exceed $300 to Canada.... I am interested
That goes for me as well
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #97
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:

That price seems ok, but what would it cost to ship to Australia?
      06-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #98
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok.. someone correct me here....

is this CAI or SRI we are GB ???????
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #99
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
ok just finished installing and testing. First install went pretty quick and easy, definitely not cutting, welding or anything like that. You need a 6mm socket, 8 mm socket, 10mm socket, and 2 torx (sp?) bits but not sure of the sizes and a pair of pliers. In the instructions they want you to rotate the clamp on one of the lines running into the power steering resevoir but that is literally impossible to do so I left it, basically it could rub against the intake pipe and might scratch it. But if it does it is in a non visible area so I left it alone. In the instructions they show a small vacuum hose that needs to be plugged in for the 128 but the 128 doesn't have the vacuum line and the intake doesn't have the port for it, so basically you have to ignore those sections. So fired it up and let it idle, no immediate noise increase at all. listened for air leaks and checked all the fittings made sure all were tight. Then got in and revved the engine all seemed good so time for a test drive. Once on the test drive I could hear the difference, basically when accelerating there is a definite low frequency growl now coming from the front end. The revs come on quick and the slight hesitation I felt before is now gone. Once over 4000rpms it comes alive revs way better up to redline. Basically it revs more like my Prelude did but still not quite as free revving as the Prelude (but I don't think anything is going to rev as fast or as well as my beloved H22s). Once up to highway cruising speeds of 120km/h there was no interior resonance basically it is still as civil on the highway as it was before the intake. That's it for me I don't have a way to capture a sound clip, but basically unless it is a good mic it really isn't going to tell you much. But so far I am very happy with it, good sound under acceleration, nothing at any time that is beligerant or boy racer sounding and very civil at cruising speeds. Basically what I was expecting out of a CAI.
how are the power gains? Do you feel a loss before 3000 rpm as it looked like in the dyno, and can you tell the difference in power compared to the stock intake? I know you said you didn't feel any hesitation, but that was allyou mentioned. Just wanted to make sure I'm getting my money's worth
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #100
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
how are the power gains? Do you feel a loss before 3000 rpm as it looked like in the dyno, and can you tell the difference in power compared to the stock intake? I know you said you didn't feel any hesitation, but that was allyou mentioned. Just wanted to make sure I'm getting my money's worth
In fairness i can't honestly say it feels more powerful, but because it feels like it is breathing freer it feels like the revs come on faster so in return feels faster. This is true for low RPMs as well. This is of course very subjective but It sounds and feels more like it should have sounded from the get go. That was always my biggest complaint, around the 3000-3500 rpms range in stock form it always sounded to me like it was whining so I rarely used the upper rev range. Now I'm using the full rev range and the sound at 5000+rpms is pretty awesome. It was worth my pennies that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #101
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ok.. someone correct me here....

is this CAI or SRI we are GB ???????
I'm no expert on the subject but among myself and my friends (many auto engineers). here's how it was explained to me;If it is installed and exposed to direct air flow, like through a scope in the hood or in the front of the car it is ram air, if has no access to direct air flow (which is the case with the injen) then it is a cold air intake. Like I said, i'm no expert but for me even if it is SRI, I'll still call it CAI cause most people understand what a CAI is and I don't have to explain much but if I said SRI then i'd have to do some explaining.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #102
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pics would be cool ethermal. Thanks!

Julius@WHEELSTO
pmed

Last edited by McReary; 06-05-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #103
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just wanted a follow up. Driving with some friends in the car at lunch, they both complained that at about 4000 rpms there is some major resonance in the passenger seat. i could hear the sound but i did not get the resosnance in the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #104
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

where is the filter located??? beside the engine????
or does the filter goes underneath to the front bumper???

if it is CAI, we might feel power loss in the lower RPM but powerful in high end,
if it is SRI, we will feel faster response no lag...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #105
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
where is the filter located??? beside the engine????
or does the filter goes underneath to the front bumper???

if it is CAI, we might feel power loss in the lower RPM but powerful in high end,
if it is SRI, we will feel faster response no lag...
Beside the engine, and the intake tube is very short. maybe 12 inches from the filter to the throttle body.

injen has a picture on their website.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #106
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What dyno graph are you looking at. My car had no power loss only gains. And I have a pic of the intake on the first page with a dyno too. This is a short ram intake. There was no room to make a cai
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #107
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Does anyone know the consequences of installing something like this in a car that is leased (aka not yours)? Is it possible that BMW would allow it if their certified technicians installed it? Or would they say essentially void my warranty unless I install the BMW intake instead?
Kind of wondering that as well.

Also, there was a mention that the car needs to be driven hard a couple times for the ECU to pick up the change in afr or whatever. Wouldn't that sorta be one of those things that get flagged by sensors?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #108
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Plugged in my bt scanner and nothing popped up. So I wouldn't be to worried about it. As to leased cars I wouldn't know. Never leased one in my life.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #109
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McReary View Post
Kind of wondering that as well.

Also, there was a mention that the car needs to be driven hard a couple times for the ECU to pick up the change in afr or whatever. Wouldn't that sorta be one of those things that get flagged by sensors?
you can always return your car w/ the aftermarket intake....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #110
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I'm pretty sold for this by the review and Julius's group buy price.

I PMed him. I urge others who are interested in a GB to shoot him a PM also.

EDIT:

Would I expect it to sound like this?

Last edited by backtoreality15; 06-05-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0