11-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
To tint or not to tint?

What have most of you guys done with your 1M's? Preferably would like to hear VO owners' opinions as that's what I own. I know AW 1M's look great tinted, and I'm sure BSM's would too, just not sure about VO.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

What color doesn't look good tinted? I see it as more of a privacy issue and here in the south it's protection from that yellow ball in the sky.
I don't think it's that complicated but maybe I'm just grouchy this morning.
      11-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Haha, definitely the grouchiness!

Well, I've seen a few people who choose to tint only the backseat windows and leave the front not tinted...this looks dumb in my opinion.

Others choose to make it so dark that it looks photoshopped and very difficult to see at night.

But the majority of VO owners I've seen on here don't have tints on their cars..or at least I haven't seen that many.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Never.
      11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
... Well, I've seen a few people who choose to tint only the backseat windows and leave the front not tinted...this looks dumb in my opinion
+1, yet some of the northern Europeans are restricted to doing this as all around tint is illegal in several countries.

Rational is that the driver's unrestricted view through front, side and rear windows is a bigger safety prio than heat shielding and esthetics. Makes somewhat sense, but it doesn't look hot, when only the rear windows are darkened.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
+1, yet some of the northern Europeans are restricted to doing this as all around tint is illegal in several countries.

Rational is that the driver's unrestricted view through front, side and rear windows is a bigger safety prio than heat shielding and esthetics. Makes somewhat sense, but it doesn't look hot, when only the rear windows are darkened.
Exactly and my car is like that. It is a factory option for Euro cars, car came like that. It is functional for rear seat occupants, like for my kids, since the aim is not aesthetics really but protection from strong sun while keeping the driver fully visible from outside and not blocking his/her vision as well. It might not be the "coolest" look but kids stay cooler back there
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I don't think it needs tinting and I wouldn't do it for "style". Some states only allow rears tinted, or a specific level of tint for the fronts anyway. No Saran wrap for me.
      11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

I think it is all personal preference. However, living in a hot climate (me), I think tint is a must down here. My VO has 20% Suntek Carbon XP all around. Look up some of my threads and you can see pics.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

tint it

On the VO and AW I would go with all around 35%.

On BSM I actually like a lot Privacy Glass option vs Ghetto Look ( all windows ), and will be tinting just the back windows to have that PG effect.

BTW, anyone knows what % tint has to be applied to have an equivalent to PG option given the stock non-tinted windows are already darkened a bit and not 100% clear.

If I go for 3M film, is that 35%, 40% or 50%? Thinking 40%, and that should give me total about 35%....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Exactly and my car is like that. It is a factory option for Euro cars, car came like that. It is functional for rear seat occupants, like for my kids, since the aim is not aesthetics really but protection from strong sun while keeping the driver fully visible from outside and not blocking his/her vision as well. It might not be the "coolest" look but kids stay cooler back there
Out of similar compassion with backseat passengers, I went for the lesser expensive and removable rear side sun visors (pn 51460432845).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Will definitely be going to the local dealer next month to have 35% 3M sun block applied during the holidays.

Attached pics are not of the VO 1 coupe, but gives a good idea of what it'll look like in that grade when it is completed. Not too dark, not too light. Just right to my taste.

Since residing in IN where the sun beats down relentlessly during the summer I've always gone with tint.

Just waiting for the obligatory $25 holiday coupon flyer before I book it.

Super $250 mod imo.
Attached Images

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
I believe its really more so the police can see the driver when approaching the vehicle. Michigan makes it illegal to tint the drivers front window but legal to tint all other windows excluding the windsheild
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I believe its really more so the police can see the driver when approaching the vehicle. Michigan makes it illegal to tint the drivers front window but legal to tint all other windows excluding the windsheild
perhaps a US perspective: ROW has less "hands (~guns) where I can see them" tension between drivers and police.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

IMHO the poll misses "Optional rear windows privacy glass only" as a third option. As I assume you referred to tinting front windows too, I voted "No tint".

Most car windows are stock already slightly tinted (UV-ray blocking), but still transparent enough, compliant with legal maximum levels applicable in the country of distribution/sale.

Tinting front windows and windscreen is illegal in my country. The cops can pull you over, fine you and require you to remove the foil/film on the spot. If removal is impossible (coating instead of foil/film) you can be required to change your windows to stock. Also you will not pass car control. For an example in the US: http://www.realpolice.net/ask-a-cop/?p=10. So, eventually consider spending your money on a pair of quality sun glasses.

Furthermore, on a practical level, tinting all windows can affect proper remote control functioning due to worsened detection issues (key fob, comfort access, remote control devices for opening gates and carports, etc.): check the archives for stories of issues with remote control and comfort access after a tint (for example: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673122 - apparently metal based films seem to affect comfort access performance more than carbon based films). A tint does not only partially block sunshine and heat, but can also partially impede remote control rays.

Partially OT: re eventual heat absorption differences between AW, BSM and VO (not really, actually): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682031.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Exactly and my car is like that. It is a factory option for Euro cars, car came like that. It is functional for rear seat occupants, like for my kids, since the aim is not aesthetics really but protection from strong sun while keeping the driver fully visible from outside and not blocking his/her vision as well. It might not be the "coolest" look but kids stay cooler back there.
I second that.

For sunshine issues, BMW offered the following options for the 1M over here (apart from climate control):
  • 1M option 3AP = grey sunblock strip in the windscreen (€90 in Germany) (Graukeil-Frontscheibe)
  • 1M option 420 = privacy glass for all three rear windows (€350 in Germany) (Sonnenschutzverglasung)
Got these on my VO too and no regrets at all. Well on the contrary:
  • contributes a little to limiting interior heat and sunshine;
  • limits to some extent direct sunshine hassling children in the rear;
  • helps children falling asleep at night on well-lit roads and highways;
  • contributes the rear view mirror with automatic anti-glare function (options 430/431) to limiting light of traffic behind you and road lights;
  • limits preying eyes from checking out stuff in the rear;
  • limits drivers behind you from checking your rear view mirror (and whether you're discreetly checking them out, especially when you wear your shades).
In my book privacy glass for the rear windows is not looking kinda daft. The alternative is pictured below (and the "that's a public embarassment for the 1M" argument will not sway enthusiastic children and concerned mothers).

Name:  HK_SunBlock.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  54.0 KB
      11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I went suntek carbon 25% all around on my AW 1M. I tried no tint for about a year and got sick of how hot the car would get in even indirect sunlight.

From a strictly comfort perspective I would advice going with legal limit VLT tint on all four windows of the car. Lowers heat, blocks UV, and cuts glare.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

VO must be tinted, these threads have pics of my vo tinted

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562708

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726525

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700585
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
We all have black interiors that absorb light/heat, so why wouldn't you tint your windows?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Got some huper optik on my BSM. Looks great and clean.
Will post pics later

http://www.perfectwindowtint.com/

Anyone in need of tint hit up Sal. One of the best guys you'll meet. He does solid solid work that I'll never have to worry about. Can't give him enough praise.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
IMHO the poll misses "Optional rear windows privacy glass only" as a third option. As I assume you referred to tinting front windows too, I voted "No tint".

Most car windows are stock already slightly tinted (UV-ray blocking), but still transparent enough, compliant with legal maximum levels applicable in the country of distribution/sale.

Tinting front windows and windscreen is illegal in my country. The cops can pull you over, fine you and require you to remove the foil/film on the spot. If removal is impossible (coating instead of foil/film) you can be required to change your windows to stock. Also you will not pass car control. For an example in the US: http://www.realpolice.net/ask-a-cop/?p=10. So, eventually consider spending your money on a pair of quality sun glasses.

Furthermore, on a practical level, tinting all windows can affect proper remote control functioning due to worsened detection issues (key fob, comfort access, remote control devices for opening gates and carports, etc.): check the archives for stories of issues with remote control and comfort access after a tint (for example: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673122 - apparently metal based films seem to affect comfort access performance more than carbon based films). A tint does not only partially block sunshine and heat, but can also partially impede remote control rays.

Partially OT: re eventual heat absorption differences between AW, BSM and VO (not really, actually): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682031.

I second that.

For sunshine issues, BMW offered the following options for the 1M over here (apart from climate control):
  • 1M option 3AP = grey sunblock strip in the windscreen (€90 in Germany) (Graukeil-Frontscheibe)
  • 1M option 420 = privacy glass for all three rear windows (€350 in Germany) (Sonnenschutzverglasung)
Got these on my VO too and no regrets at all. Well on the contrary:
  • contributes a little to limiting interior heat and sunshine;
  • limits to some extent direct sunshine hassling children in the rear;
  • helps children falling asleep at night on well-lit roads and highways;
  • contributes the rear view mirror with automatic anti-glare function (options 430/431) to limiting light of traffic behind you and road lights;
  • limits preying eyes from checking out stuff in the rear;
  • limits drivers behind you from checking your rear view mirror (and whether you're discreetly checking them out, especially when you wear your shades).
In my book privacy glass for the rear windows is not looking kinda daft. The alternative is pictured below (and the "that's a public embarassment for the 1M" argument will not sway enthusiastic children and concerned mothers).

Attachment 778741
Says it all about the Privacy Glass
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

I'd prefer not to tint, but the summers in Peru get really hot and that black leather will burn your ass. Oh yeah, let's not forget the high crime rate here definitely need tints and protective film too to prevent against thieves that smash your wind just to steal an iPod or a purse.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I'll post pictures tomorrow evening.

I have Huper Optik.

Back/Rear Windows 10%
Driver/Passenger Windows 20%
Entire Front Window is 60%

I've never been ticketed or pulled over for any mods - Catless Exhaust, Plateless Front Bumper, Tint everywhere. Mind you, I even live in California.
      11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
I'll post pictures tomorrow evening.

I have Huper Optik.

Back/Rear Windows 10%
Driver/Passenger Windows 20%
Entire Front Window is 60%

I've never been ticketed or pulled over for any mods - Catless Exhaust, Plateless Front Bumper, Tint everywhere. Mind you, I even live in California.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Signed,

Francis (Ponch) Poncherello
CHP Officer of that 'Fine' state

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0