12-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #67
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
There are so few 1Ms it's a wash like Champignon said. There are some that want loaded and some that want strippers and not enough of either to matter. Just for the OP to know it is a wash. A stripper is not worth less than a loaded car in today's market. They both offer distinct things that people want. The stripper has a more flexible seating position, is lighter, there are less of them and the dash looks better. The loaded cars have memory seats, nav and I drive that some prefer.

Subjectively, with what this car was meant to be, I prefer the lighter, more analog stripper version but that's just me. In the end it is still a 1M!
The most valuable 1Ms are the slicktop models (no sunroof)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #68
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM PWR View Post
The most valuable 1Ms are the slicktop models (no sunroof)
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider one with a sunroof, they ruin the lines of the car :-)
      01-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #69
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
there are plenty of people specifically looking for a stripper.
Strippers? Lemme grab a stack of singles....... Oh wait. Shucks. I already got one. Took delivery at 6 miles. No nav, no HK sys, no convenience. Sat radio, phone connect, and heated seats. First autocross was five weeks after delivery. Last autocross was October 2017. 67k miles now. Naw I won't be selling just yet.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #70
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Quote:
there are plenty of people specifically looking for a stripper.
Strippers? Lemme grab a stack of singles....... Oh wait. Shucks. I already got one. Took delivery at 6 miles. No nav, no HK sys, no convenience. Sat radio, phone connect, and heated seats. First autocross was five weeks after delivery. Last autocross was October 2017. 67k miles now. Naw I won't be selling just yet.
: )

Yeah. You're my hero! Bravo
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #71
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
There are so few 1Ms it's a wash like Champignon said. There are some that want loaded and some that want strippers and not enough of either to matter. Just for the OP to know it is a wash. A stripper is not worth less than a loaded car in today's market. They both offer distinct things that people want. The stripper has a more flexible seating position, is lighter, there are less of them and the dash looks better. The loaded cars have memory seats, nav and I drive that some prefer.

Subjectively, with what this car was meant to be, I prefer the lighter, more analog stripper version but that's just me. In the end it is still a 1M!
Does anyone know how much of a difference in weight there is between a loaded and option less 1m?

I know on the e90 m3 there can be a huge difference between a stripper manual and a loaded dct. So much so I think I can tell a notable difference in handling even on the street

Feels like the 1m has to be much closer due to same transmission and a lack of sunroof option
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #72
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Quote:

Does anyone know how much of a difference in weight there is between a loaded and option less 1m?

I know on the e90 m3 there can be a huge difference between a stripper manual and a loaded dct. So much so I think I can tell a notable difference in handling even on the street

Feels like the 1m has to be much closer due to same transmission and a lack of sunroof option
I'm ready for a scale. Day. Anyone in San Diego have a stock loaded 1M? We can find a scale. I would love to know too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #73
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

I’ll look to weigh mine in spring after I take the Recaro child seat out which surprisingly weighs a decent amount.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #74
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
I’ll look to weigh mine in spring after I take the Recaro child seat out which surprisingly weighs a decent amount.
We really need to do them both on the same scale just to be sure . If anyone near me knows of a
Scale I have a stripper. Just need a loaded car with HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #75
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
We really need to do them both on the same scale just to be sure . If anyone near me knows of a
Scale I have a stripper. Just need a loaded car with HK.
I'll bring the popcorn. Can't wait!
      01-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #76
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
I'm ready for a scale. Day. Anyone in San Diego have a stock loaded 1M? We can find a scale. I would love to know too.
Didn't know you're in SD...
I can provide the "stripper other than the HK radio option" for another 1M data point!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #77
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

As far as price goes, I paid probably msrp for a loaded bsm with 34k miles.

Couple mods, clean car though.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #78
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
Didn't know you're in SD...
I can provide the "stripper other than the HK radio option" for another 1M data point!

Thanks. I have a stripper with no HK. Maybe we could see how much HK adds?

I'm really busy this week but I would like to find someone else with a loaded 1M and find a scale. Maybe also while were at it, find an E90 M3 stripper vs E90 M3 loaded too.

congrats on the stripper!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #79
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

I'm really busy this week but I would like to find someone else with a loaded 1M and find a scale. Maybe also while were at it, find an E90 M3 stripper vs E90 M3 loaded too.

I have a stripper, but she is currently inside of a cake and waiting to pop out at a bachelor party :-)
      01-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #80
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:

nice!
If nothing else... we can certainly throw a little 1M meet up.
I'll be back in SD late Feb.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #81
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Just to chime in since i was looking at some for sale.

One BSF with 9,000kms stripped (no navigation) is going for €60K from a used BMW dealer.

A second one stripped with 12,000 km (M Performance seats) going for €57,000 same dealer.

Alpine white with 26,000kms (fully loaded) for €55,000 same dealer (i got my eye on that one since it will be my only car and daily).

All come with the usual BMW 360 inspection and BMW Premium warranty. All 3 cars were sold brand new at that dealer, 3 owners for each car and all of them were servicing/maintaining/selling the car at the same dealer (basically the dealer sold and maintained those cars since new).

All were summer cars/weekend cars only, none saw the track, no winter wheel/package.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #82
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Alpine white with 26,000kms (fully loaded) for €55,000 same dealer (i got my eye on that one since it will be my only car and daily).
With all due respect, and out of legitimate desire to understand your perspective, can I ask what specific features of the fully loaded version you think make it better as your only car and daily driver?

I’ll openly share my views as the proud owner of a stripper which is my only car and a daily driver, but would like to hear your views first as you’re about to make a very big and presumably irreversible decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #83
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
With all due respect, and out of legitimate desire to understand your perspective, can I ask what specific features of the fully loaded version you think make it better as your only car and daily driver?

I’ll openly share my views as the proud owner of a stripper which is my only car and a daily driver, but would like to hear your views first as you’re about to make a very big and presumably irreversible decision.
Bravo! people should daily their cars and enjoy them!!!!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #84
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post

Off course. I like to have the navigation pro and idrive, when i travelled i hated the idea of sticking a phone on the windshield (or any other part of the interior) with a loose cable connected to the USB port, constantly shaking and rattling the phone. At the same time i must admit that having the dash clear has a certain slick clean finish to it. The black "stripped car does not have an armrest, no adaptive lights, no under trunk storage (if you translate the Ablagenpaket in German), no voice activation, no hi fi system, no auto dimming rear view mirror, no automatic climate control, no light packet and the list goes on.

I travelled a lot from Germany to Italy, Austria, Switzerland, France, Slovakia and czech republic with and without built in navigation and it was frustrating at times when the phone lost the GPS signal in numerous critical moments almost getting lost. I like to be comfortable in 8+ hour journeys, especially if i am in a new city (even in Frankfurt for example) when i need directions.

Having a "hidden storage" under the rear boot is nice to put a torque wrench and a flask of oil and coolant hidden and will not rattle and move around when cornering.

One can only be so picky when looking at used cars, sometimes you get lucky and find the one equipped with what you are looking for, sometimes you find one that almost meets what you need. Personally i would take the nav pro and the extra space in the boot, the rest i can do without, but the car has only 26,000kms comes with a 2 year bmw warranty and i can add a service pack to it as well.

If i implied "better" then i apologize, one car with several items loaded does not make it "better" than one without. It is a matter of personal taste, since i do a lot of city driving and travel across europe from time to time, i prefer having some extras.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #85
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

2k Euro more for Performance seats is all? That would be my choice.

Also, I’d be surprised if a 2011 cars nav keeps signal more often than a current generation smart phone, but maybe I’m wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #86
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
2k Euro more for Performance seats is all? That would be my choice.

Also, I’d be surprised if a 2011 cars nav keeps signal more often than a current generation smart phone, but maybe I’m wrong.
They are more reliable than you think, i never had any issues with them, the phone goes a bit crazy once you cross borders. I even switched phone companies a few times and still had more or less the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #87
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have never lost my NAV connection in the 1M, even when in steep narrow canyons where Satelite radio is cutting out constantly.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #88
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Garage List
Zombie_Head, first and foremost no need to apologize for anything. I've seen your other posts in the 1M forum recently and I can tell you know your cars and are thoughtful, so wanted to take the opportunity to compare viewpoints with someone like yourself.

I'll try to give my perspective on all your key points. As I mentioned above my intention is to provoke thoughtful dialog, not argue. One theme that will carry through all my points is I feel the 1M is the perfect inflection point just before the evolution from old school mechanical automotive fundamentals to modern technology focused robots went too far. I seek to preserve my visceral connection with the car as much as possible and an aesthetic that matches such.

The things that I don't like about the iDrive aka Navi:
  • it interrupts a very sleek dash, car looks better without it
  • it's presence means the joystick (knob) takes away a cup holder, and the knob thing itself also spoils a clean center console
  • it will eventually be out of date and BMW will stop updating it, and some day in the far far future the GPS standard may change so it is completely useless
  • one more thing to break...

When using a phone as navi it will never be out of date. The mounting solution I use doesn't look atrocious to me. My actual mount is leveraging the (unneeded) CD slot, and the cable I use is on a spring loaded spool so is always taut. I am attaching some pictures of this for reference.

The downside you mention about losing a GPS signal interrupting navigation would be frustrating. With the phone I'm using I have not noticed the GPS losing a signal any more often than what I remember built in navigation doing in my prior cars. Maybe my positioning of the phone is also helping reception?

You mentioned one of the strippers you saw didn't have a hi-fi system. Do you mean no radio at all? That's new info for me. I thought the 1M came with either the basic "professional" radio, or the upgrade option Harmon Kardon. My stripper has the basic professional system. It is good enough for me with the bluetooth receiver I've added. If there is actually a car with no radio at all that would seem to be a non-starter.

These other features you mention have never once to me seemed necessary in 30 years of driving.
  • adaptive headlights
  • voice activation
  • auto dimming rear view mirror (I can reach myself, but hardly ever do)
  • automatic climate control (basic system allows one to set temps for both driver and passenger, good enough)
  • also yet more things that can break

I'm not sure what you mean by "light packet" so no comment at this time.

I'm also not aware that the under trunk storage differs, but my stripper did come with the "Storage Compartment Package". I don't think there would be any structural changes (ie metal removed or reshaped) with this, so even without it there should still be space under the trunk liner. I would think this would be fairly easy to put together a solution.

The lack of an armrest in my stripper at first did seem odd to me after years of having one in other cars, but honestly I got used to it immediately and have never once again thought I needed one. My hand is almost always on the wheel, and sometimes on the shifter.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I really wanted to give this some thought and write a helpful reply. Good luck on your 1M hunting. I'm sure you won't regret joining the party, no matter what you choose.
Appreciate 0