BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #23
GerryL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i with PPK- Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
And as for why it's not on the 1M - who knows? Maybe they didn't have room. Maybe they wanted to keep the weight down. Maybe they just wanted to keep costs down. saying.
I doubt its the weight or cost, as they also did not put it on the new M5 although the regular 5 series sedans offer it.

Last edited by GerryL; 08-26-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

I tested the two and toke the Active Steering. Most of my rides are in the city, so to me it is a great comfort an I like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
cowrunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i Man, Prem

I just picked up my 2013, Space Gray, 135i with AS. (Returned my '09 135i). I am a true 1 addict.. the 135i i picked up in 2009 is my favoirte car of a lifetime. I went with the AS on my next 135i to try something different on this round based on my CA's urging.. I have only driven my new one 25 miles. So far i have huge remorse. I am going to give a chance but on my way home from the dealer I did feel disconnected and missed the heavy wheel feel. Anyone have any suggestions for me to give this a chance? I am trying to stay open minded but have to say I don't like it so far and have remorse. I do understrand I have only driven it 25 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

cowrunner-
I guess I'm one of the few who really like AS. To me it has a nice balance...power assited in parking lots, and stiffens up a lot at speed. I'd give it some time and see if it grows on you. The original owner of the car I bought from felt it was one of the cars best features..I tend to agree, as I hate how heavy the reg. steering is.
Hope it works out for you...
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
cowrunner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Gray 135i Man, Prem

Thanks .. so here is my report on my first 1,000 miles (I had to outrun the hurricane and drove to OHIO and back.. just got back tonight. 'Was really hating the AS on the way out.. honestly wanted to return the car.. i was so pissed at myself for ordering it without test driving and suggest no one makes this mistake that i did. .. What i hated most about it was that heavy feel to the wheel i was so used to (Everytime i got in my 1, that was the part of the experience i liked the most) is GONE!.. now in terms of growing on me i can really get what the design of this is intending to do .... i realize that at speeds above 45, i'm good. it's in the parking lots and at low speeds it really bothers me. Anyway, I hate it less now that i've driven it.. at this point, would I order it on my next 1? No!. But in the next couple of days i am going to road test without the AS to see how it compares. One of the things i am wondering about is if I will notice a big difference in responsiveness without the boost. Again, i am not sold on AS, just trying to discover what the engineers were after when designing this. Since i am sort of stuck with it, i figure i want to learn more about it . At high speeds the corrections, didn't bother me, it actually felt like it was planting me into the pavement more on adjustments from uneven pavement etc.. The CA really needs to warn the buyers of 1's to test drive this first. Mine just sold it to me and i am kicking myself. i'll come back to everyone after my road test on the non AS 1.
Appreciate 0