BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Negative Survey "Retaliation"

Anyone experience this ? In my 7 years of BMW ownership (4 Cars) I have never submitted a negative survey... until last week. I already have 2 voicemails from my SA (Who I praised, BTW)

Just curious if any of you have experienced anything unsavory as a result of a negative survey.

See "Hassel Did A Shit Job On Seatbelt Recall" thread for more info.
Attached Images

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 10-05-2010 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

I've had dealers (non-BMW) call me back if my survey wasn't 100% across the board to find out the specifics. I've never given horrible results though as I haven't had a horrible service (I take that back, I did once but I didn't get a follow-up survey for that one).

I guess it really depends on the content of their calls. If they are trying to argue it, then I might be leery of them in the future. If they are just getting more info about the situation, I'd take it as a good thing.

If your comments about the SA were positive and he understands that he is not the problem, then you probably don't have anything to worry about (e.g. he probably won't be routing you to their worst/newest tech or putting you at the end of the queue). And if you know the name of the Tech(s) you had trouble with, you can always just request that they not work on your car when you do take it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I never understood why these were not anonymous.

-Jeff
      10-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Hexley
Can't Stop Lovin' Blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Speaking as someone in a customer service biz, when you rate low- it's a big deal to companies. Management gets financial bonuses from positive responses in many cases. Needless to say, when a customer rates low where I work, they are discussed by name, we have their full service history, tel number, email- it's on the table and it is usually taken seriously.
      10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

The heresay theory for me dealer is that 2 x "less than all 10" survey = termination for the SA.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajumepke View Post
The heresay theory for me dealer is that 2 x "less than all 10" survey = termination for the SA.
I heard something like this before, back in 03 i took my 325ci in for a window regulator replacement. Upon returning the car the window was left sticking too far out. I was very bothered about this so before i took off i told the SA that they need to fix it again and right. Well when i got the survey when they asked " was the issue taken care of on the first try", of course i answer no. Upon return for another service months later the SA was very upset and told me that he nearly lost his job for the low score.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajumepke View Post

Wow. I've already changed SA's three times at Classic BMW in Plano...those other two are still employed. Somehow.
      10-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

What did the voicemails from the salesman say? Did you talk to him after that?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Survey Failure Voicemail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
What did the voicemails from the salesman say? Did you talk to him after that?
VERY busy today. It was too late to call him by the time I had a chance.

He was very professional (as usual) He said:

"I need to address the failure on the survey and your other concerns as quickly as possible and It would be greatly appreciated if you would give me a call"
      10-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
"I need to address the failure on the survey and your other concerns as quickly as possible and It would be greatly appreciated if you would give me a call"
That sounds like the normal dealer reaction to a bad survey. I wouldn't sweat it. Just give him a call back as soon as you can and give him a detailed explanation of what the issues were.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Frustration
enter macho title here...
Rep
Drives: X3 / 335cp / 135 vert-135vert2

I don't get why that is "Retaliation"...

At all...

Sounds a lot like responsive / responsible / Ready to serve than Retaliation.

Would you want them not to care?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration View Post

At all...

I think he is worried about future retaliation ie. problems on his next service

Only negative survey I did was at Honda when a SA told me quite rudely I was just complaining about things(as in making up symptoms) because of a service bulletin I had found online that documented a fix for the problem. I brought in the bulletin as I'd been in twice for the problem and the bulletin hadn't been sent to Canadian dealers yet.

The day after the survey I was contacted by the service manager and informed the SA had been fired. Not the result I had anticipated but I can't say he didn't somewhat deserve it. I never had any problems after that, probably got better treatment possibly out of fear of another negative survey...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

it's their job to make sure there are no problems you should not have to live in fear of this.

you paid for a service, you should receive the service you paid for. it's as simples as that. and if the SA can't provide that service, he/she doesn't care about their job enough to put the effort in to make the customer happy. Dealers want return customers, that's where they make most of the money is in the service and parts departments. They don't want someone there that continually loses them money. And you don't want someone doing the job wrong on your car, you have to drive it every day and expect that it's going to work for you like the day you purchased it.

I'm not a picky customer at all. but there's some business ethics that need to be followed. And some people just aren't cut out for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Out of all the cars I have purchased new, the 135i was the WORST experience I had ever had.

I filled out the survey honestly and the sales manager, dealership GM and a rep from BMW called and apologized. The sales manager gave me a full detail on my car for free for the bad experience. I have not taken my car in for the detail or any type of service yet...so not sure if they will treat me any differently.

If and when I take it there, I will let you all know if something iffy happens.

On a side note, while I was a member of ACURAZINE (Acura forum), I remember someone being confronted and told never to return to that dealership because he gave them low marks.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...lership+survey

Post#8
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...lership+survey

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
SOOOOO thats what I need to do...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #16
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Wow, I'd never give someone 10/10 unless they went above and beyond the call of duty. Generally a 7 or 8 from me is good work, else how do you signify unexpectedly outstanding work.

Cheers,
Alf
      10-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #17
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Wow, I didnt know dealerships took surveys so seriously. Service-wise I never had a good experience with a particular Audi/VW/Subaru dealership in DE, but thats because unless you brought in an Audi, you didnt get the best service. Which is why I never had stuff done with them. Only thing I had them do was replace my brakes after a long argument with them and Subaru of America.

But my buying experience with my BMW dealer here in Germany has been nothing short of a 150%.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #18
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm experiencing issues with my dealer too. They not only send you an e-mail, but follow with phone calls to both my cell and home phones. I had enough of that and indicated in my e-mail reply that the whole thing was bordering in harassment. I have not received any more calls or even e-mails from them.

To me the bottom line is that if they want perfect scores, the job and the car should be just that PERFECT!!! From my seat belt recall, there were scuff marks and nasty grease stains in the door sill that should not have been there. A simple QA review should have made them aware of this. I had to go home and take care of that.

Realistic survey results would help them improve on the service experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration View Post

At all...

I didn't say it WAS. I was ASKING if anyone had EXPERIENCED any retaliation.
      10-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlf View Post
Wow, I'd never give someone 10/10 unless they went above and beyond the call of duty. Generally a 7 or 8 from me is good work, else how do you signify unexpectedly outstanding work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
Realistic survey results would help them improve on the service experience.
From my experience, this seems to be the problem. Companies that really use these surveys tend to look at anything other than perfect scores as a bad result, which is not really the case.

Of course then the knowledgeable customer is faced with "do I rate it as acceptable/expected service and risk getting the tech/SA fired or rate it as perfect even though it wasn't".

Which really makes me wonder why they use a scale system. Why not just use yes/no type questions?

It's why I'm glad my customer support days are behind me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #21
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

i think it should be anything less then a 8 is unacceptable, but anything less then 9 needs to be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

Negative surveys will definitely impact the service advisor even though you did praise him highly. Did you give him a chance to resolve the issues before sending in the survey? I'm sure the service advisor would have jumped at an opportunity to fix the issues before having the survey sent in. At this point, he's probably getting heat by upper management for HIS "poor" survey even though your complaint is probably more about the tech that worked on the car & the porter that cleaned the car. Give your service advisor the chance to make things right, we're all human, mistakes do happen unfortunately.
Appreciate 0