BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Whistling

Hey there peeps,

Feeling quite good after an aftermarket FMIC install, I decided to take it to town. Open road, late at night, no cars, and no cops. Had my p3 vent measuring 0-100 times, and felt pretty good about a 5.06 time, stock car.

Anyways, I've started to notice a slight whistling noise when under load. It's not loud, but you can hear it. I'm not sure whether this is the normal sound of the turbos spooling, or whether I have a leak after doing the FMIC install. I've never noticed it before. Car is not throwing any codes, and with a time of 5.06, I don't think it's affecting performance. But still, could be something, right? I know I should have recorded it, but it's pretty faint in the cabin, and not sure whether it would be picked up by my iphone recording. Anyway, what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
What does the max boost read on th P3? Is the P3 boost tap line leaking?

Why did you install a FMIC if you don have a tune, as stock FMIC would suffice?
Ian, the max boost reads 8.3, and vacuum idle is 19.5-20.5. However, for some reason today, the whistling doesn't seem as noticeable. Whether or not it's the couplings seating themselves, but yeah, better today.

Tune is just around the corner - in fact, looking at EvolveR. Just getting the labour out of the way first.

Might need to buy you a beer sometime - thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Seems normal
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just thinking about boost levels, and if there is a leak, how much of a leak is needed before a CEL is thrown? If it's pin sized, there won't be much, but obviously if it's a few mm, then yeah, a large drop will be experienced. But is it thrown if there is a leak, no matter how small? Is it that sensitive?

And if I am losing boost pressure, is the ECU going to make the turbos work harder to reach target boost?
Appreciate 0