BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Rain sensor reset after new windshield?

I had my windshield replaced recently by Safelite. They used a windshield with a green-blue tint on top instead of the gray border I used to have. They said it wouldn't make a difference at all.

But since it was replaced the rain sensor is way less sensitive than it used to be. Even with it turned all the way up the wipers rarely move.

I heard somewhere that it might need to be reinitialized by the dealer. Is that true or did they just do a crappy job installing the windshield? Or does the color matter that much?
      10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The BavTech scan tool can reset the rain sensor. But I suspect your gonna need the correct bmw windshield for it to work properly. Your insurance company should pay for a dealer to reset the rain sensor via their GT1 scan tool. Or just have them replace the windshield and charge it to them via your comp insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Really? Is that even possible? To reset rain sensor...

Something new to me
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Really? Is that even possible? To reset rain sensor...

Something new to me
I have seen it in one of the menu's when using my BT scan tool. I clicked on it once to "calibrate" it. Took like ten minutes!! I did not notice any change in the way my wipers worked though.

PS: I think there was also a calibration of the Klimaautomatic (HVAC) system as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have seen it in one of the menu's when using my BT scan tool. I clicked on it once to "calibrate" it. Took like ten minutes!! I did not notice any change in the way my wipers worked though.

PS: I think there was also a calibration of the Klimaautomatic (HVAC) system as well.
Which software you use INPA or something else interesting those BMWs are smart ass
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Which software you use INPA or something else interesting those BMWs are smart ass

I use the BavTech tool. It uses their special SW...

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Since my car was having other problems and is at the dealer, I asked them to recalibrate it. They said they'd charge me an hour labor to do it ($126.50). I told them ok, hoping that Geico would pick up the bill.

Geico now says I have to have Safelite fix (can they even fix it??) so I scrambled and left a message at the dealer telling them not to recalibrate. I hope they get it in time before they work on it.
      10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

If your replacing the windshield with an OEM replacement. (Which I have done twice now in 4 years) No resetting was ever performed on my vehicle and the rain sensor worked prefectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
Since my car was having other problems and is at the dealer, I asked them to recalibrate it. They said they'd charge me an hour labor to do it ($126.50). I told them ok, hoping that Geico would pick up the bill.

Geico now says I have to have Safelite fix (can they even fix it??) so I scrambled and left a message at the dealer telling them not to recalibrate. I hope they get it in time before they work on it.
I doubt your glass shop would have the scan tool to recalibrate the rain sensor. I would just pay for the recalibration at the dealer and hand your insurance company the bill. They can not refuse.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Geico won't pick up the tab anymore. They've already paid Safelite and closed the claim. They say it's Safelite's responsibility to fix it now.

If Safelite cannot fix it (and I'm guessing they can't), they will send me to the dealer and have to pay for it, I suppose.
      10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Geico won't pick up the tab anymore. They've already paid Safelite and closed the claim. They say it's Safelite's responsibility to fix it now.

If Safelite cannot fix it (and I'm guessing they can't), they will send me to the dealer and have to pay for it, I suppose.

Of course you could always have another "stone" damage/crack your new windshield and start fresh all over. This time get a BMW windshield!

Most insurance companies "want you" use their prefered repair shops but you do not have too. Just like some ins companies want you to use OEM parts while you can also have OE (ie BMW parts) used instead. It is all a game to them. They say your covered until they have to pay out, then they cheap out the repairs.

Just check with your ins coverage... bc you can not have more than two comp claims per year(I think?), otherwise I think you run the risk of cancellation.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Massachusetts is weird in that all insurance must include windshield repair/replacement without a deductible!

I don't know if that rule has changed recently or not but it's still on my policy. So while I have a $500 comprehensive deductible there is no deductible on glass. I think there is a limit to how many windshields I can have fixed a year though, I need to check.

I was stupid and rushed to get the windshield replaced thinking that Safelite would give me the same windshield I had. I could have gone to the dealer had I known but it happened late on a Friday afternoon and I didn't feel safe driving it around with a huge smash in it so I went with where I could get an appointment at 4pm on a Friday.
      10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The putty they use also oozed out from behind the A pillars inside the car in a couple of spots. I wonder if that is normal or not. I should of cut it away with a knife while it was still soft but now it's hardened. Maybe I was expecting too much when I thought the windshield would be "good as new".
      10-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Massachusetts is weird in that all insurance must include windshield repair/replacement without a deductible!

I don't know if that rule has changed recently or not but it's still on my policy. So while I have a $500 comprehensive deductible there is no deductible on glass. I think there is a limit to how many windshields I can have fixed a year though, I need to check.

I was stupid and rushed to get the windshield replaced thinking that Safelite would give me the same windshield I had. I could have gone to the dealer had I known but it happened late on a Friday afternoon and I didn't feel safe driving it around with a huge smash in it so I went with where I could get an appointment at 4pm on a Friday.

I thought no deductible glass was optional in most states, but mandatory in MA. I took a previous BMW to BMW Peabody and they installed the windshield and even contacted my insurance company. I didn't have to make a call or even fill out a form. No cost/charge and original glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
The putty they use also oozed out from behind the A pillars inside the car in a couple of spots. I wonder if that is normal or not.
Poor workmanship.
Appreciate 0