BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
DrSpock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

I take mine to a touchless car wash, she got her first wash last weekend after being garaged for much of January. Took her straight home and waxed her. Looked sensational, especially with the rims all clean and tire dressing applied.

To boot, this particular car wash is a great place to meet young, attractive women...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #46
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
This particular car wash is a great place to meet young, attractive women...
And the address is?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
And honestly... my Enzo would go through a machine wash too. Not that I'll probably ever come close to owning one.

Sinful... LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

I've never been interested in cleaning my car before, but since buying the 1M and finding this forum I think I am becoming a little obsessed. I basically buy a new towel, wax, applicator pad or whatever else every couple of days. Only problem at the moment - too damn cold to get near cleaning it. I really want to clean so I can put the cover back on before the forecast snow hits South East England. Anyway - my latest purchase is AW http://www.chipex.co.uk/ - I think it is the UK's equivalent for DrColorChip. I have 2 small stone chips, one on the bonnet and one on the front wheel arch. Has anyone tried it yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #49
pjtoby
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
1998 BMW Z3  [0.00]
Happy and Clean!

$2.50 hand car wash here in Manila...

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #50
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
i go to my friend's car wash all the time. it's an upscale hand wash. They change towels for every car. They see nicer cars than the M. Only place that could do my lowered s2k. I c 458s and lambos there all the time. Never had a problem. oh and its free
Where is this place and is it anywhere near the Commack area of suffolk
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Wash it at home, I have DI Tanks at the house, low and high power washers, with a Master Blaster, wash the car and dry it without ever touching it, only time ill use a soft wash mit is to get any grime that wont come off with the foamer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #52
Tom303
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I had a close call this morning with a touchless car wash. The arm that goes around the got stuck at the front right corner of my car and was just spraying water for about 2 minutes and the display sign indicated a failure with the wash. Then the arm decided to slide straight back to its restart position. As it was doing this I noticed that it was really close to the fender. It almost looked like it was right on it. Then it got worst as the arm slid down the car and I saw the mirror folded in. Now I exited the wash stall as careful as possible and reported the incident to the owner. he tells me that the arm is not suppose to touch the car and that it would stop. I showed him the folded mirror. I told him that I was going to wash it by hand at home and if I find any scratches I will return.

Beware even of touchless car wash that can malfunction!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom303 View Post
I had a close call this morning with a touchless car wash. The arm that goes around the got stuck at the front right corner of my car and was just spraying water for about 2 minutes and the display sign indicated a failure with the wash. Then the arm decided to slide straight back to its restart position. As it was doing this I noticed that it was really close to the fender. It almost looked like it was right on it. Then it got worst as the arm slid down the car and I saw the mirror folded in. Now I exited the wash stall as careful as possible and reported the incident to the owner. he tells me that the arm is not suppose to touch the car and that it would stop. I showed him the folded mirror. I told him that I was going to wash it by hand at home and if I find any scratches I will return.

Gotta be prepared at anytime!!! Sounds like that wash was infected by M3Skynet seeking revenge on the the Badass terminator of a little brother
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #54
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

No.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #55
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I was my car about every two weeks depending on weather. Always hand washed, always two bucket method with grit guards and high quality detergent. I also wax and polish twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #56
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu
I was my car about every two weeks depending on weather. Always hand washed, always two bucket method with grit guards and high quality detergent. I also wax and polish twice a year.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

I would beware of ANY touchless wash. The high pressure they use blows away your wax and also can bury any dirt or cause it to scratch the surface as it gets freed up. Can't get around need for careful hand wash if you really care...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #58
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I would beware of ANY touchless wash. The high pressure they use blows away your wax and also can bury any dirt or cause it to scratch the surface as it gets freed up. Can't get around need for careful hand wash if you really care...
I agree.

Touchless car washes are essentially high pressure sand blasters. Due to EPA and environmental standards the waste water at most car washes has to be recycled through a series of filters. Those filters are very rarely cleaned and do not do an adequate job of removing the particulate (dirt) from the waste water prior to reuse.

That particulate is then re-sprayed right through the high pressure touch less car wash effectively pushing it into your clear coat and inducing marring into your paint.

In short, your best choice is to DIY with 2 buckets and grit guards or go to a reputable detailer that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtoby View Post
Happy and Clean!

$2.50 hand car wash here in Manila...

I just took a closer look at this picture, gotta love child labor!

Last edited by Amnizu; 07-09-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #59
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Beware of KingOfJericho's washing experience:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I sometimes use a powerwasher to wash the car and for some reason the nozzle was removed this one particular time. I put the nozzle back on, pointed it at the car, and hit the water. The fucking metal thing shot off and hit my plastic bumper at full force putting a nice circular nick in it. I guess it didn't lock in all the way and like a dummy I tested it by aiming it at the car. Just really lucky I didn't hit a metal panel or the headlight.
Quote:
Seems that the touchless car wash fell in love with your 1M and wanted to "get in touch"...