mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Chris Harris: Excellent One on One!

"Is Technology Making Cars Worse? - ROAD TESTAMENT"

Saw this last night. Worth watching the whole interview!

Summary: E46 M3 is the pinnacle.

http://youtu.be/8h_IcLn4JSg

06-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I am a living testament to chasing the next new shiny thing. Going through all the M3's(minus E30), the Z4 Mcoupe, and finally stopping the madness with the M6, I finally realized that I wasn't enjoying the "drive" any more with the more expensive/technological advanced versions of the current line of M cars('08-'11). So while most of my friends thought I was crazy to get rid of my E90 M3 and pass on the M6 as well, in favor of the 1M, Chris Harris gets it.
      06-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yea... Chris H. gets it alright. I really like his outlook on cars and tech.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Other than naming it, all they talk is talk about the purpose and spirit of 1M over there, compared to what other modern performance cars are heading toward since some years. Among the M3s I agree that the best ever is still E46 M3 and especially the CSL. Thanks for posting this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I totally agree. Performance cars have been "democratized" or as I like to put it, dumbed down and nannified to the point where the lowest common denominator can drive them like a pro.

I stopped buying M-cars with my S54 Roadster due to the excessive bloat and electronics. I essentially went back to basics with the Mk1 and Mk2 Minis before getting back into things with the 1M which I love for its purist bent.

**side note** BMW Portland has a few pristine S52 coupes and roadsters and one Z4 M Coupe from a private collection on the used floor. They are exceptionally low miles... I think one of them only had a few hundred on the clock. Definitely worth a look if you have the funds.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

have to watch this later on a better connection. My 1'er is my first M car ever, and I have to say the connected driving experience, the balance, relative simplicity (guy who backed out ordered mine basically as a stripper ) and N54 make for a driving experience that I consistently find addicting every single time i step behind the wheel. ///M
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think Chris hits the nail on the head with his thought that there just aren't enough of us who care about having a sports car that is simple in its design, and not overly complicated.
      06-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Chris gets it for sure but sadly even the 1M most were ordered loaded and I still believe that the strippers will be the rarest and most desirable in the future especially when warranties expire. It's bittersweet since I got one but many don't know what theyre missing. I do get some hope from the FRS / BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Chris gets it for sure but sadly even the 1M most were ordered bloated and I still believe that the strippers will be the rarest and most desirable in the future especially when warranties expire. It's bittersweet since I got one but many don't know what theyre missing. I do get some hope from the FRS / BRZ.
Its funny...... when I first luckily stumbled across my 1M i was disappointed to know it had no options in it. (thought to be completely honest I wouldnt mind heated seats, dont add much weight! :P ) and as time has gone on have come to love my car more than I could have imagined. Lets be honest, when I drive it hard, I turn everything off because all I care about is hearing the sound of the engine, exhaust, the road, and not having all the overpriced gadgets really makes it an amazing experience!! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Chris gets it for sure but sadly even the 1M most were ordered bloated and I still believe that the strippers will be the rarest and most desirable in the future especially when warranties expire. It's bittersweet since I got one but many don't know what theyre missing. I do get some hope from the FRS / BRZ.
So nav makes a car bloated now?

I'm willing to bet the difference in weight between a fully loaded 1M and a no-options 1M is less than 30 lbs.
      06-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Sorry my bad.... I'll call it loaded instead.

In US nav included folding power mirrors, power seats, backup sensors, Nav, hard drive, etc. Probably more than 30 lbs. anyway it goes to the point about most people want the entertainment stuff. Not sure it adds to driving experience especially with seats that sit taller also and reduce headroom. Years from now the strippers will be the most desireable and the hardest to find because most were ordered "loaded."

That is one point Harris was making .... no one cares except for very few.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

2 things I've picked up from this video

1- buy e46 m3
2- "Can you get milk out of those?" hahahaha (7:53)

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Another thing I noticed. Is this guy the founder of Jalopnic? Sad, he appears to know nothing about cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Sure got that impression myself.

He was nervous as a schoolgirl and stumbling all over the place. It was painful to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Another thing I noticed. Is this guy the founder of Jalopnic? Sad, he appears to know nothing about cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Nice insited post indeed. Surprised no mention of the 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

I spent some time with Allan McNish (Audi factory driver and Le Mans winner) about 4 years ago and I felt like I was revisiting our conversation. I could not believe how technology had literally over taken his sport.

The1M with manual trans was a breath of fresh air in a sea of technology induced over achievers.

Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

[QUOTE=flzrider;12242820]So nav makes a car bloated now?

Since you asked the question YES
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #18
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Quote:
Sorry my bad.... I'll call it loaded instead.

In US nav included folding power mirrors, power seats, backup sensors, Nav, hard drive, etc. Probably more than 30 lbs. anyway it goes to the point about most people want the entertainment stuff. Not sure it adds to driving experience especially with seats that sit taller also and reduce headroom. Years from now the strippers will be the most desireable and the hardest to find because most were ordered "loaded."

That is one point Harris was making .... no one cares except for very few.
I ordered a stripper and then when it arrived, it had navigation. I didn't want it, didn't want to pay for it actually, but then when the car showed up, there it was.

A little checking on the invoice.... it wasn't ordered and was included on the invoice at no charge to me, like it was standard. The seats are not electronic, nothing else in the navigation package was on there, just the hump in the middle with the maps in it. I'm actually glad I have it now. I am still puzzled as to why it came that way though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #19
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I ordered a stripper and then when it arrived, it had navigation. I didn't want it, didn't want to pay for it actually, but then when the car showed up, there it was.

A little checking on the invoice.... it wasn't ordered and was included on the invoice at no charge to me, like it was standard. The seats are not electronic, nothing else in the navigation package was on there, just the hump in the middle with the maps in it. I'm actually glad I have it now. I am still puzzled as to why it came that way though.
The thread linked below has some more info about this.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615383

A very small number of us ended up with iDrive for free without ordering it and without having to get both packages. I have mixed feelings about having iDrive; I didn't want it even if it was free because I wanted a clean dash and not a bulky piece of hardware that is going to be old tech (if not totally obsolete) in a few years. But now I'm used to it and I have to admit it comes in handy sometimes. Also, I realize there are a ton of people who would have loved to have been able to order iDrive without all the other things, so I should just be grateful!

When we picked up our 1M at BMW Welt, the person giving us the overview started explaining how each key fob would remember the last settings used with the key. I politely stopped him and explained that I didn't order the power seats and mirrors. I figured I'd save him a few minutes of pointlessly explaining a great feature we didn't have and potentially making for an awkward situation when I went to try it out with my manual seats and Cro-Magnon-style folding mirrors. That's when he said he was referring to the iDrive settings, and he motioned to the center console and I noticed the screen on the dash. I couldn't believe it. But considering it was nothing short of a miracle that we ended up with a 1M allocation, I couldn't really feel disappointed, plus I was too excited with our European Delivery experience to let it put a damper on things.

I'm just thankful every day for my 1M - and I wouldn't care if it were loaded or not, or what color it was. It's too good of a car to trifle over the little things that make our cars different.

Chris Harris is awesome and that was a great video. If I had the means I would buy an E46 Touring and an E46 M3 with a manual transmission and make a you-know-what.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #20
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I think Harris is less concerned with things like iDrive, and more focused on the electronics related to chassis control and stability. Things such as stability and traction control, adjustable dampers, electronic assisted or adaptable steering. In addition, they also don't think much of paddle shifters and dual clutch trannys.

Essentially, these devices act as a buffer between driver and car, and thereby diminish the driving experience.

The other criticism they correctly make relates to the proliferation of safety systems, weight and horsepower. With ballooning vehicle weight, manufacturers are obligated to increase engine output to maintain the same level of sportiness. However, you can't defy physics, and the weight further compromises the driving dynamics.

Ironically, the higher output of modern engines combined with heavier vehicles makes for a somewhat dangerous combination, making things like stability control - which Harris believes is part of the problem - nearly an essential item for most drivers.

Both guys agree that major manufacturers will continue along the same path, regardless of advances with carbon fiber and other materials, if for no other reason than the majority of car buyers prefer big, oversized and overpowered cars with numb driving dynamics. And I suspect they are correct in their assessment.

I purposefully ordered iDrive in my 1M, but I mostly wanted it for controlling my iPod/iPhone. If you've tried navigating an iPod in a BMW without the help of iDrive then you will know it's a painful experience. Would have been happy to skip the navigation system and power seats, but BMW NA didn't give us much choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #21
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I think Harris is less concerned with things like iDrive, and more focused on the electronics related to chassis control and stability. Things such as stability and traction control, adjustable dampers, electronic assisted or adaptable steering. In addition, they also don't think much of paddle shifters and dual clutch trannys.

Essentially, these devices act as a buffer between driver and car, and thereby diminish the driving experience.
Exactly.

To say that things like iDrive and enhanced audio systems take away from the driving experience is nonsense. Might as well take it one step further and say that your xenon lights, radio steering wheel controls, and floor mats take away from driving fun, too.
      06-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

Totally agree!! Sold my Golf GTI DSG just because it was a geat car but 0 fun to drive. The 1M makes me smile every (EVERY) time I drive it
Appreciate 0