Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M; 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2005 BMW e60 M5  [0.00]
Austrian roads

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend will be making a roadtrip from belgium through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia and back through Italy, Austria and Germany. We'll be driving my VO beast, so Im looking for some nice roads through Austria, and maybe also in north east italy and croatia! Other suggestions for not-to-miss stops are very welcome:-) We will be leaving on 9 july.
Oh and bmw museum in munich is allready on the book;-)

Thanks for your replies!
Yannic
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Stelvio, don't miss this one
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Just watch out for kangaroos in Austria, bloody big rabbits they are.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Check the threads/pictures of Dackel and Mr Kleen about their Stelvio + Northern Italy experiences. Resistance will be futile.

Dackel:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=19

Mr Kleen:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=461

Here's the teaser video of Rikx1M of the June 2012 Stelvio trip:

And maybe also this 2010 video with following description : "This is the famous Stelvio Pass in Northern Italy. It's late so traffic is quiet. The M3 is a saloon with the competition pack, in M mode with the DSC off, obviously."

Also heard good things about the Gross Glockner.
      07-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Nice drive,

We are planning on something in Aug chunneling it over to France and down to Marseille to catch up with a friend of my wife's for the day before making our way to do a lap around Monaco before heading over the boarder into Italy and up to Milan making our way up to Como and drive alongside the lake and up to Stalvio, then across to Merano, up to San Leonardo to drive the Jaufenpass/Passo Giovo to Vipitino before making our way up north to Munich via Innsbruck then on to the ring before heading back to London.

My wife has driven the Croatian coastline a couple of times for work and just 2 weeks ago drove down the Montenegro coast and says the drive is well worth doing, so that could be on next yrs must drive list.......

Have a great drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Just watch out for kangaroos in Austria, bloody big rabbits they are.

Different AUSTRalia mate this one is land locked with the fields alive with the sound of music
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Artemis
Rep

Top Gear spent a 30 minutes episode on finding the best road in the world and put it personally to the test with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera and Porsche 911 GT3 RS. Big fun, as usual.

Their conclusion: "Davos to Stelvio: the greatest driving road in the world" ("Stelvio: the cherry for the top of our cake" - "stunning" - "magnificent piece of road building" - "extraordinary road").

If not interested or no time to watch the whole video (now that it's still online), see from 25:17 onwards (especially 28:00):

About the Gross Glockner Pass – Hoch Strasse: see Dackel's in-depth report:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=1

Last edited by Artemis; 07-03-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Somewhere in the Alps in 2012...

07-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Balaclava
Rep
Drives: 1M for fun, 330xd for winter

My favorite fun roads in Austria:

Grossglockner High Alpine Road http://www.grossglockner.at/en/ In my opinion this is more fun than Stelvio: prettier curves, smoother road surface. A really top choice, was surprised nobody recommended on this thread before...

Nockalm Road http://www.nockalmstrasse.at/en/ A close runner-up. Doesn't go that high, but really nice. Beware of the bikers.

In case you have not much time to wander far away from Vienna: Semmering has some nice road and is just 1 hour from the capital.

In Italy, one of the prettiest areas is the Dolomites: just hit SS242, then SS48 to Cortina d'Ampezzo. I know it's probably too far to the west for this trip for you, but they are really spectacular.

It is well worth getting up early and hit any the passes before 7AM to avoid the cyclists and the RVs... These roads are all rather busy in July-August.

Have fun!
      07-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaclava View Post
My favorite fun roads in Austria:

Grossglockner High Alpine Road http://www.grossglockner.at/en/ In my opinion this is more fun than Stelvio: prettier curves, smoother road surface. A really top choice, was surprised nobody recommended on this thread before...

Nockalm Road http://www.nockalmstrasse.at/en/ A close runner-up. Doesn't go that high, but really nice. Beware of the bikers.

In case you have not much time to wander far away from Vienna: Semmering has some nice road and is just 1 hour from the capital.

In Italy, one of the prettiest areas is the Dolomites: just hit SS242, then SS48 to Cortina d'Ampezzo. I know it's probably too far to the west for this trip for you, but they are really spectacular.

It is well worth getting up early and hit any the passes before 7AM to avoid the cyclists and the RVs... These roads are all rather busy in July-August.

Have fun!
I drove the Grossglockner in an Audi A6 a few years back. The 1M should be 10x more fun.

It's absolutely gorgeous in the summer/fall.

There are also a number of lovely little Austrian villages & towns in the area including the Ski towns of Kaprun, Zell Am See, Saalbach etc.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
steve79
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M; Fiat Abarth 500

And be careful in Northern Italy!! Last year, Polizia stopped us, really only to have a look at the 1M!! Cop told me, yeah, i saw this car in a magazine, it's so nice!!! Was cool!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Stelvio.... Must.... Go.....

and DAMN that Renault just looks nasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Nice drive,

We are planning on..... insert a half dozen amazing European locations coupled with a 1M here followed by the most world renown race track all before lunch.... before heading back to London.

Have a great drive.
Must be nice!! lol Sounds like an AMAZING drive!

Last edited by firechicken99; 07-10-2012 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0