BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i coupe

tie rod seized on my 128i

Hi guys,
my 128i is out warrany as of this summer. brought it to a shop for alignment and the tech said that tie rod is seized and he wants to replace it. cost me 600 + alignment to fix the problem (replaces tie rod inner and outer.. i think). I also needed to change the oil.
so now, i wonder.
1. the computer still says "oil change" -700. is this normal? i kinda hoped that it is smart enough to figure out that the oil has been changed since it's not the case how do i reset it?
2. this tie rod seizure thing. I've never heard of it before, however i am no car expert still, never had this issue before with my jap cars. Is there a preventive care i should be following? i hope i will not pay 700$ every year for alignment?
G.
PS: oh yeah, Boston area if it's important.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
Gullyfoyle,

I'm also in the Boston area. At my most recent alignment (~58,000 miles), the tech said that I'll need to replace one of the tie rod ends next time. He said it was rusty due to winter road salt. My car is DD so it is exposed to the salt. So I guess this would be considered a design flaw?
      12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA128 View Post
Gullyfoyle,

I'm also in the Boston area. At my most recent alignment (~58,000 miles), the tech said that I'll need to replace one of the tie rod ends next time. He said it was rusty due to winter road salt. My car is DD so it is exposed to the salt. So I guess this would be considered a design flaw?
^^ I agree. If you experience a lot of snowy/wet weather, tie-rods can go bad prematurely.
      12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
^^ I agree. If you experience a lot of snowy/wet weather, tie-rods can go bad prematurely.
oh crap...
can i do some kinda inspection before i go to the shop for alignment? i assume i could change tie rods myself, i've seen "how to" videos, does not look too bad....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA128 View Post
Gullyfoyle,

if i see this issue again, i say yes, definitely a design flaw. rises question though about BMW reliability and design supremacy and all the rest of BS from the ads and urban legends...drives still good though
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Not necessarily a design flaw but more material choice. However, tie rods to need to withstand significant forces, so the grade of steel may have been chosen more for strength than resistance to corrosion.
      12-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Need to use anti-seize compound when threading the tie rod ends during installation. This will lessen the occurrence of the threads corroding and seizing from the road salt. The tie rod ends are virtually unprotected from salt spray during winter driving. I am a little surprised though that a good lubricating penetrant could not be used to free them. I have had some pretty rusted bolts and tie rod ends that I was able to free up using a good grade penetrant.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
toronto128
Private
Rep
Drives: 128

it can happen to any car if the threads are not lubricated. i grease them every time i service the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

Hi: Since it was seized, he probably used brute force and a hot torch to free it up, thus ruining it.
Jack
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Its not uncommon for a car to need new tie rods. I would take this opportunity and upgrade the tire rods to a HD design like HP Autowerks sells. Or you could even use 1M tie rods.

http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-Z4-HD...Rod-E8x-9x.htm

You should also have a shop check out the ball joints - bc they will also wear(out). Especially the right side, since the roads have more pot holes on the right sides.

Any wheel alignment shop can replace your tie rods and do a new 4wheel alignment.

You can reset your CBS oil change light yourself. Just follow my DIY.

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its not uncommon for a car to need new tie rods. I would take this opportunity and upgrade the tire rods to a HD design like HP Autowerks sells. Or you could even use 1M tie rods.

http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-Z4-HD...Rod-E8x-9x.htm

You should also have a shop check out the ball joints - bc they will also wear(out). Especially the right side, since the roads have more pot holes on the right sides.

Any wheel alignment shop can replace your tie rods and do a new 4wheel alignment.

You can reset your CBS oil change light yourself. Just follow my DIY.

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111
Thanks for the links! i knew i saw 'em but i forgot where, now it's easier
The idea of upgrading tie rods is interesting, i saw video on youtube how to replace tie rods on 3 series, did not look too hard or complex...
i wonder if there is a way to check if its time to replace it? of course i can bring the car to a shop and they will tell me, but if i wanna save few bucks and do it myself i'd rather do it and then drive the car to the shop for alignment.
G
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyfoyle View Post
Thanks for the links! i knew i saw 'em but i forgot where, now it's easier
The idea of upgrading tie rods is interesting, i saw video on youtube how to replace tie rods on 3 series, did not look too hard or complex...
i wonder if there is a way to check if its time to replace it? of course i can bring the car to a shop and they will tell me, but if i wanna save few bucks and do it myself i'd rather do it and then drive the car to the shop for alignment.
G

Replacing your tie rods isn't that hard. The hard part is getting the car aligned afterwards. Withoput wearing out your tires are you drive to your alignment shop!

When one installs a tie rod... the important thing to remember to do is use some loctite on the tie rod threads where it screws into the PS rack. AND also bending over the crimp washer so the new tie rod does not loosen up over time. There is a metal washer/tab that gets hammered over to prevent the tie rod from un doing itself.

A good 4 wheel alignment is necessary. The toe rods themselves are cheap... its paying someone who is competment to install them and do a good alignment that is hard!

Here is a decent video on how to change a tie rod on a e46...

Appreciate 1
      12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Replacing your tie rods isn't that hard. The hard part is getting the car aligned afterwards. Withoput wearing out your tires are you drive to your alignment shop!

When one installs a tie rod... the important thing to remember to do is use some loctite on the tie rod threads where it screws into the PS rack. AND also bending over the crimp washer so the new tie rod does not loosen up over time. There is a metal washer/tab that gets hammered over to prevent the tie rod from un doing itself.

A good 4 wheel alignment is necessary. The toe rods themselves are cheap... its paying someone who is competment to install them and do a good alignment that is hard!

Here is a decent video on how to change a tie rod on a e46...

yeah, thats the video i was referring to. although its about 3 series, i suspect its the same stuff or very similar.
Appreciate 1