BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #23
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
Also, in the motortred article, the evo kills it on the road track b/c the evo has a really smart dsg computer program driving the transmission and S-awc doing almost everything else - distributing torque, braking etc. The bmw auto is just not competitive here. I'd be willing to bet the results would have been diffirent with a manual 135.
I see no evidence for that claim at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #24
Ferdinand
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscecc914 View Post
wow 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with the "plain jane automatic". BMW says the 6 speed with get you to 60 a tad quicker.
Nope, you won't. It's the same time. In the 6 speed you have a quicker launch, but, because of the slower manual shift moment (which you do not have in the auto gearbox), both cars are even quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #25
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I love that the only thing in the price range that can match the 135 in performance are cars that can't come close to the trim levels offered by BMW. The 135 is such a nicer car than an EVO and can still beat it in performance. Not to mention the fact that the insurance rates for the bimer are much lower.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #26
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiqueskillz View Post
If you go to evom.net you can find time slips of drivers with stock cars hitting 12's easily. For example, the S2000, you see magazine times at 14.0 - 14.3 stock, but there are lots like lots of people on S2ki.com that has hit as low as 13.6 stock in a S2000.
Mathmatically I just can't see it pulling that much less, at least "stock" anyhow.. I've known a few people that pulled slips with a "stock" (ha!) car as well. When I go get my 135i Dinan tune this weekend- I'm going to call it stock too!
      04-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
Nope, you won't. It's the same time. In the 6 speed you have a quicker launch, but, because of the slower manual shift moment (which you do not have in the auto gearbox), both cars are even quick.
I figured it being the same/and or quicker. And I say quicker because I used to play with classic muscle cars at the shop.. Sometimes you don't always get the kind of launch you want (i.e late shift, driver error, etc.). The automatic can shift seemlessly for you everytime...

However, if your perfect and know everything- you could display that same result with a manual...
      04-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #28
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

No way an automatic is faster than manual. Sequential-DSG-SMG yes it would be possible. The Steptronic is just a fancy name for an auto gearbox. Lets take per exemple 0-60 with two 135 1 auto 1 manual.
The launch will suck with the auto gearbox, while theres probably only one upshift with the manual which is first to second(unless the driver is crappy no way to miss it. I read on Edmunds that this press 135i that they drove was maybe running higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #29
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
No way an automatic is faster than manual. Sequential-DSG-SMG yes it would be possible. The Steptronic is just a fancy name for an auto gearbox. Lets take per exemple 0-60 with two 135 1 auto 1 manual.
The launch will suck with the auto gearbox, while theres probably only one upshift with the manual which is first to second(unless the driver is crappy no way to miss it. I read on Edmunds that this press 135i that they drove was maybe running higher boost.
Many magazines have already tested both, sir... I had originally thought this, that the manual is faster. One- because before all the real information became present on the web I was taking the word of many in here. Since the information and tests have become apparent online, I'm finding that they are pretty much the same (just one allows for less error- which helps time).
It's all a matter of choice really...

As for your example...
"Lets take per exemple 0-60 with two 135 1 auto 1 manual.
The launch will suck with the auto gearbox, while theres probably only one upshift with the manual which is first to second (unless the driver is crappy no way to miss it."
Where did you find that? Is that based on your opinion? Do you have extensive experience building cars? I'm trying to figure out how you figure it'll get stuck? There's a lot of information going around on this website that's being stuck down as fact. I just want to clarify...
      04-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #30
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewablechain View Post
Many magazines have already tested both, sir... I had originally thought this, that the manual is faster. One- because before all the real information became present on the web I was taking the word of many in here. Since the information and tests have become apparent online, I'm finding that they are pretty much the same (just one allows for less error- which helps time).
It's all a matter of choice really...

As for your example...
"Lets take per exemple 0-60 with two 135 1 auto 1 manual.
The launch will suck with the auto gearbox, while theres probably only one upshift with the manual which is first to second (unless the driver is crappy no way to miss it."
Where did you find that? or is that based on your opinion? Do you have extensive experience building cars? I'm trying to figure out how you figure it'll get stuck? There's a lot of information going around on this website that's being stuck down as fact. I just want to clarify...
My personal experience, I race cars,bikes and run a car shop. Anyhow I hate drag racing (did 9.xx bike passes 11.xx car passes)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #31
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
My personal experience, I race cars,bikes and run a car shop
So you know all about BMW motors? I used to race cars too, and I worked in a shop- Classic car restoration. I also grew up at the dragstrip for my father was all about cars. You know I even know how to fly a plane (have a VFR). But I don't protest to know everything about these new engines, in the past, it used to be that manuals were the best. Automatics were slow and couldn't keep up, but that was the 1960's.. I've already come around to the fact that they (automatics) are a whole head and shoulders better than they used to be...
      04-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #32
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So you know all about BMW motors? I used to race cars too, and I worked in a shop- Classic car restoration. I also grew up at the dragstrip for my father was all about cars. You know I even know how to fly a plane (have a VFR). But I don't protest to know everything about these new engines, in the past, it used to be that manuals were the best. Automatics were slow and couldn't keep up, but that was the 1960's.. I've already come around to the fact that they (automatics) are a whole head and shoulders better than they used to be...
Im not about drag racing yes I go once in a while but I rather track it so no way Im tracking an automatic car. I never said that I knew everything. This engine just came out we still have a long way to go. Dont take posts personally its a Forum. If youre into drag racing fine...im not...I never attacked you personally either....When DTM,SCCA,BTCC and other racing circuit will use automatic Ill be forced to believe that they are in fact better than manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #33
chewablechain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I edited my post and forgot to tell you. Im not about drag racing yes I go once in a while but I rather track it so no way Im tracking an automatic car. I never said that I knew everything do you know everything aswell. This engine just came out we still have a long way to go. Dont take posts personally its a Forum. If youre into drag racing fine...im not...I never attacked you personally either....When DTM,SCCA,BTCC and other racing circuit will use automatic Ill be forced to believe that they are in fact better than manual.
It's not about taking this personally.. There's a lot of information going around and it's mostly based on opinion. You, yourself said you wouldn't take an automatic to the track. I know plenty of other people that would agree with that.. But that is a personal preference, not a tool for judging an engine weaker than another.
I'm learning about the engine everyday, I spent hours talking to a mechanic at BMW. I wasn't the one who made up a scenario for an example. I've still got a ways to go, but if you look I never protested to know everything about them. I never claimed anything I haven't already learned... which is still very little, but enough to know that the automatic isn't slow. Alot of racing uses manual because it's a test of skill. That's what it's about. (Again, I never claimed there being any skill involved in the auto)....
      04-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's not about taking this personally.. There's a lot of information going around and it's mostly based on opinion. You, yourself said you wouldn't take an automatic to the track. I know plenty of other people that would agree with that.. But that is a personal preference, not a tool for judging an engine weaker than another.
I'm learning about the engine everyday, I spent hours talking to a mechanic at BMW. I've still got a ways to go, but if you look I never protested to know everything about them. I never claimed anything I haven't already learned... which is still very little, but enough to know that the automatic isn't slow. Alot of racing uses manual because it's a test of skill. That's what it's about.
Many Indy cars don't have an actually ball shifter, alot of funny cars as well.
Anyhow I just hope that this forum will help finding solutions to make our cars better whatever we do with them
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

Are you serious? Nearly every single serious drag car in the world is automatic. The only reason automatics have been slower than manuals in the past is because of few gear ratios, and the taller gearing that results. The launch is MUCH easier with an automatic than with a manual. You put one foot on the brake, the other on the gas and run the RPMs up against the brake, release the brake, floor it and you're gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #36
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Are you serious? Nearly every single serious drag car in the world is automatic. The only reason automatics have been slower than manuals in the past is because of few gear ratios, and the taller gearing that results. The launch is MUCH easier with an automatic than with a manual. You put one foot on the brake, the other on the gas and run the RPMs up against the brake, release the brake, floor it and you're gone.
Read above Im not into drag racing(Ive draged my bikes and cars for fun). Of course I know drag cars are automatic. By the way were rebuilding a 68 and a 69 camaro. My friends are into drag racing not me . I.e

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #37
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Read above Im not into drag racing(Ive draged my bikes and cars for fun). Of course I know drag cars are automatic. By the way were rebuilding a 68 and a 69 camaro.

0-60 is a drag race.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #38
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
0-60 is a drag race.
Youre right
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #39
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
I love that the only thing in the price range that can match the 135 in performance are cars that can't come close to the trim levels offered by BMW. The 135 is such a nicer car than an EVO and can still beat it in performance. Not to mention the fact that the insurance rates for the bimer are much lower.
The Evo outhandles the 135i and comes with a usable backseat. They both have their pros and cons. Implying that the 135i is hands down the better car is subjective (and pointless) at best.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #40
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
I see no evidence for that claim at all.
i was gonna buy an X before. I read everything about the X. Go read some comparisons between the MR and the GSR and you'll find your "evidence." Stick X would have been slower around the track, thus closer to the 135i in and of itself. As to the 135i, the auto has a slight straight line advantage but a stick has a an advantage on the roadcoarse (basing this on tons of comparisons between stick and torqueconverter versions of the same car).

EDIT: chewablechain, the straight line advantage of the auto doesn't come from the engine. the engine's the same. It comes from the shorter gearing and the ability to keep the turbos spooled during shifts. But this is somewhat offsett by the higher drivetrain loss and the extra weight of the auto. So the actual straight line advantage of an auto is slight. But there is a huge advantage in consistency by taking out the driver's skill factor. By the way, you probably know this, but if your car has a production date in March 08, you may not be able to get the Dinana flash.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #41
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
EDIT: chewablechain, the straight line advantage of the auto doesn't come from the engine. the engine's the same. It comes from the shorter gearing and the ability to keep the turbos spooled during shifts. But this is somewhat offsett by the higher drivetrain loss and the extra weight of the auto. So the actual straight line advantage of an auto is slight.
Pretty sure she knows this, and I just thought I would post this again for those that may not have gotten it yet...People on here need to stop assuming that girls do not know anything about cars. Chewable's father was a "car guy" back in the day and taught her, and her husband works on cars, motorcycles, jets and is actually certified to do so. Not all girls are valley girl morons with no car or engine building experience...
      04-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #42
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
i was gonna buy an X before. I read everything about the X. Go read some comparisons between the MR and the GSR and you'll find your "evidence." Stick X would have been slower around the track, thus closer to the 135i in and of itself. As to the 135i, the auto has a slight straight line advantage but a stick has a an advantage on the roadcoarse (basing this on tons of comparisons between stick and torqueconverter versions of the same car).
I have seen more than one example of the GSR being faster around a track than the MR. That's counter evidence.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #43
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The GSR is faster now but once Mitsu finally works out all the kinks on the MR tranny the MR is supposed to be faster then the GSR.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #44
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The Evo X is a great car but I really dont feel like paying 40k for a car from a company thats thought about leaving the U.S and puts out not so great cars with shaddy service. They are having a hard time selling them. Some dealers are selling them for 3-4k under msrp and have literally hundreds sitting on the lots.
The Evo is having a list of issues. Check out different forums and you can compile a nice list. Tranny issues with the GSR, nevermind the MR. Those nice Recaro seats coming apart at the seams and staples showing. paint easily chipping off. ECU issues but Mitsu just released an update. Had no power at all at the low end and engine would shut down if low on gas and going up a hill. You have to do a special maneuver to get the gas tank full. Cheap dash falling apart. Material from doors coming loose. These are off the top of my head that ive recently read in the evo forums. Im sure there are more issues.
Like I said great car and awseome looks but just poor quaility control from Mitsu.
Appreciate 0