BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

135?

Hey guys I'm sure some of you know me from all the local meets and from the e90 forum but my lease is almost up on my e90 335 and I'm looking in to either another e90,e92 335i or posibly 135i... Idk how many of u have had the chance to drive both or anything but what do u guys think? Will I be happy with the change... Thanx

2007 e90 335i (batmobile) ~ bye bye
2011 e90 335i M-Sport (Stella) ~ BYe Bye
2013 F30 335xi M-Sport EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
I had an e92 328xi for almost three years (lease would be expiring in about a week but i used the pull ahead program) and test drove both an e92 335 and a 135i. The all wheel drive was overkill for the amount of snow we get in NYC, so I didn't even consider it for the new car.

The 335i was no different in terms of fit and finish from my 328. the only difference was the new version of iDrive. It drove like my previous e92 did, except it was a whole lot faster.

I took a test drive in the 135i and the interior was not exactly as nice, but it was more than adequate. Anything you would touch feels like it is high quality so its really a non issue. A few things that bothered me right away in the 1er were the ventilation and the removal of the air mixer wheel in between the center vents, and the shortage of cup holders. One cupholder is completely useless because the armrest covers it, I can kinda fit a medium coffee from dunkin donuts in it, and the other cupholder is a snap in unit to the right of the shifter that is adequate (in iDrive equipped 1ers). So essentially you have one good cupholder in the car. Usually this isn't an issue but on longer trips it can be.

Obviously there is a little less space in the back and the attention to detail in the back isn't as nice as in the e92. The e92s have cup holders in the fold down divider, the 135 just has a leather wrapped piece of cushion that pops out. Still, I haven't had any of my passengers in the back complain, but that is more because they fear that criticism will result in them being left on the side of the road.

But enough of the bad, on to the good.

I loved the look of the 1er. I have seen two other 135i's in lower westchester and manhattan, and have yet to see any near me in the Bronx. Every guy and his brother has an e90/2 so if you're looking to stand out, the 1er is the way to go.

The exhaust sounds great stock, a lot more aggressive then I would have thought.

The car has been rock solid on the road. The car is precise on the back roads and doesn't feel any less planted through turns or on the highway.

The brakes are monstrous.

The 1er is definitely the drivers choice when compared to the 335i. And that is really why I ended up getting the 1er over the 3er. I am happy with the platform change, and I imagine most other enthusiasts would be too.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
I had an e92 328xi for almost three years (lease would be expiring in about a week but i used the pull ahead program) and test drove both an e92 335 and a 135i. The all wheel drive was overkill for the amount of snow we get in NYC, so I didn't even consider it for the new car.

The 335i was no different in terms of fit and finish from my 328. the only difference was the new version of iDrive. It drove like my previous e92 did, except it was a whole lot faster.

I took a test drive in the 135i and the interior was not exactly as nice, but it was more than adequate. Anything you would touch feels like it is high quality so its really a non issue. A few things that bothered me right away in the 1er were the ventilation and the removal of the air mixer wheel in between the center vents, and the shortage of cup holders. One cupholder is completely useless because the armrest covers it, I can kinda fit a medium coffee from dunkin donuts in it, and the other cupholder is a snap in unit to the right of the shifter that is adequate (in iDrive equipped 1ers). So essentially you have one good cupholder in the car. Usually this isn't an issue but on longer trips it can be.

Obviously there is a little less space in the back and the attention to detail in the back isn't as nice as in the e92. The e92s have cup holders in the fold down divider, the 135 just has a leather wrapped piece of cushion that pops out. Still, I haven't had any of my passengers in the back complain, but that is more because they fear that criticism will result in them being left on the side of the road.

But enough of the bad, on to the good.

I loved the look of the 1er. I have seen two other 135i's in lower westchester and manhattan, and have yet to see any near me in the Bronx. Every guy and his brother has an e90/2 so if you're looking to stand out, the 1er is the way to go.

The exhaust sounds great stock, a lot more aggressive then I would have thought.

The car has been rock solid on the road. The car is precise on the back roads and doesn't feel any less planted through turns or on the highway.

The brakes are monstrous.

The 1er is definitely the drivers choice when compared to the 335i. And that is really why I ended up getting the 1er over the 3er. I am happy with the platform change, and I imagine most other enthusiasts would be too.
+1 to most of the items stated above. Although the cupholder thing may be a little nit-picky. My m3 has 0 useful cupholders (with phone integration option and arm rest down) and it was a non-issue for me. I never allow any drinks/food in my cars anyway... I don't eat fast food so no need.

Other than that this sums up my thoughts about the 1, very non-partisan summary!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

Thanx guys for the advise!

2007 e90 335i (batmobile) ~ bye bye
2011 e90 335i M-Sport (Stella) ~ BYe Bye
2013 F30 335xi M-Sport EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
135 over 335 all day long
      12-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
The 135i is more focused on and for the driver. The 335i offers more to the passengers and is more middle of the road in many senses - which is why it's such a big seller. It all comes down to what you value in a car.