BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
sacha101
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe SGM/CORAL RED

Go with non RFT ...??

Non runflats are less expensive, more comfy and a lot more choice for the buyer...

But if you get a flat with non RFTs can you still call bmw emergency assistance ??
Also, will going with non RFTs bother my warranty ??

tks !

2011 135i SGM/CR 6MT - M Sport, Premium, ski bag
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Yes. Apparently no. And no.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
e84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328

what if the 19" is lighter than the oem 18"? And the tires are also lighter than oem run flat?
Is it the same result then on acceleration and braking etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Car warranty not voided... TIRE WARRANTY possibly VOIDED... Non-Run flats are 6-8 lbs lighter each, have far better grip, will last longer, improve\shorten braking distances and make the car accelerate ever so slightly faster..... Less expnesive too =)

The opposite can be said about going to taller wheels... Anything above 17 or 18" will make your car accelerate more slowly, brake farther and GET LESS mpg and effect cornering... Going from a 17 to 18" wheel will rob you of 1/4 of a sec from 0-60mph, 17 to 19" whl is 1/2 a sec slower etc.... 16-18" is the optimal wheel size.... Plus, if you lower your car 1" then change out your 18" wheels for 19"s it's now a 2" drop in the wheel well... You've dropped the car then put a taller wheel in there... closing the gap from fender well to tire contact...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
allanak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e84 View Post
what if the 19" is lighter than the oem 18"? And the tires are also lighter than oem run flat?
Is it the same result then on acceleration and braking etc?
Lighter wheels/tires = less unsprung mass = better grip. Acceleration-wise, it takes less energy to move a lighter object than a heavier object. If you get stickier tires and can gain traction faster, you're going to benefit there. Also might get a little better mpg but lets face it: we're not buying these cars for their fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I had a flat about a year ago and called BMW emergency assistance and still got service.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
fondeezy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I had a flat about a year ago and called BMW emergency assistance and still got service.
I am assuming they just fixed the tire you had on the car right? I am debating about staying with the Run flats or going with a regular tire. Though, my car does have BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

BMW Assist is just AAA responding to BMW calls. They're unlikely to care what tires you have on your car, RFT or not, provided you're paid up through Assist. I used them a few years ago for a blowout in my M Coupe with no issues. Of course the M Coupe, like nearly all M cars came without RFTs or a spare but lifetime roadside assistance.

I've had my M Coupe for 11 years now and called roadside once (for a stupid Toyo T1R, worst tire ever). The 1er has been on non RFTs for about a year and has not needed roadside assistance yet. I will not make the mistake of leaving a new BMW on RFTs again, the next one will head straight to a tire shop to have those stupid things removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondeezy View Post
I am assuming they just fixed the tire you had on the car right? I am debating about staying with the Run flats or going with a regular tire. Though, my car does have BMW assist.
No they did not as the tire was punctured on the sidewall. I had to purchase two new tires for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
BMW Assist is just AAA responding to BMW calls. They're unlikely to care what tires you have on your car, RFT or not, provided you're paid up through Assist. I used them a few years ago for a blowout in my M Coupe with no issues. Of course the M Coupe, like nearly all M cars came without RFTs or a spare but lifetime roadside assistance.

I've had my M Coupe for 11 years now and called roadside once (for a stupid Toyo T1R, worst tire ever). The 1er has been on non RFTs for about a year and has not needed roadside assistance yet. I will not make the mistake of leaving a new BMW on RFTs again, the next one will head straight to a tire shop to have those stupid things removed.
^^^What he said!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Not to hijack the thread, but I got a flat this past Sunday afternoon (on Yokohama S-drives) and with no tire stores open on Sundays, I had no choice but to call BMW Assist. They were helpful, polite and speedy, but when I asked if they could tow my car to the nearest Discount Tire, they said I would have to pay $125 out of my pocket. Apparently BMW Assist only tows for free to BMW dealerships. So my car ended up at a BMW dealership and my wallet got raped for them to replace the tire, $296. But I guess everything evens out, I would have paid $125 to tow to Discount Tire and another $175 for them to replace it. Plus my car needed some maintenance done anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
That's why I pack a donut.
      06-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
CMSS2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Car warranty not voided... TIRE WARRANTY possibly VOIDED... Non-Run flats are 6-8 lbs lighter each, have far better grip, will last longer, improve\shorten braking distances and make the car accelerate ever so slightly faster..... Less expnesive too =)

The opposite can be said about going to taller wheels... Anything above 17 or 18" will make your car accelerate more slowly, brake farther and GET LESS mpg and effect cornering... Going from a 17 to 18" wheel will rob you of 1/4 of a sec from 0-60mph, 17 to 19" whl is 1/2 a sec slower etc.... 16-18" is the optimal wheel size.... Plus, if you lower your car 1" then change out your 18" wheels for 19"s it's now a 2" drop in the wheel well... You've dropped the car then put a taller wheel in there... closing the gap from fender well to tire contact...
Don't know where you're getting this info from.
My non-RFT's were only 1 to 2 lbs lighter than the stock RFT's.
When you go from a 17 to 18 to 19, etc, you usually go with a lower profile tire so the diameter (height) stays the same and the wheel well gap stays the same and there is no big difference in 0-60 times.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Get Slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridonculous View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I got a flat this past Sunday afternoon (on Yokohama S-drives) and with no tire stores open on Sundays, I had no choice but to call BMW Assist. They were helpful, polite and speedy, but when I asked if they could tow my car to the nearest Discount Tire, they said I would have to pay $125 out of my pocket. Apparently BMW Assist only tows for free to BMW dealerships. So my car ended up at a BMW dealership and my wallet got raped for them to replace the tire, $296. But I guess everything evens out, I would have paid $125 to tow to Discount Tire and another $175 for them to replace it. Plus my car needed some maintenance done anyways.
You won't need to call BMW at all. I keep on in the trunk of my vert.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
You won't need to call BMW at all. I keep on in the trunk of my vert.
M mobility kit! you can buy one on ebay for a good price
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sure That Works Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
Slime is a bit cheaper though.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
Except using that stupid foam will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Getting all of it off of a wheel is tough work and cleaning a tire off is even worse. Just buy a cheap plug kit and learn how to use it. On the off chance that you get a flat while driving, you can plug the tire, go about your business and replace the tire at your convenience if you're the sort of person that doesn't like plugs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can hose off Slime with Soap &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Except using that stupid foam will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Getting all of it off of a wheel is tough work and cleaning a tire off is even worse. Just buy a cheap plug kit and learn how to use it. On the off chance that you get a flat while driving, you can plug the tire, go about your business and replace the tire at your convenience if you're the sort of person that doesn't like plugs.
Water. Not sure about the M mobility kit. It's way cheaper than a tow truck and you can drive yourself to any tire shop you want to replace the tire.

It's a personal thing but when you drive a high performance car at the limit, i worry about plugs, so for me, once punctured I always get a new tire. No exceptions.

Same thing with bent rims. I always get new once. But again its a personal choice.
Appreciate 0