BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Electrical gremlins

It happened again.

The odd interference static coming from the sound system that starts when the vehicle is off/locked and with no key fob. Last time it happened, it stopped on it's own after about 5 minutes. This time it was going for close to 20 minutes and I was to the point of disconnecting the battery to make it stop when it did (was checking the battery connection when it finally stopped, no idea if my fiddling had anything to do with it).
Pretty sure this is along the same lines as the known dead radio/seatbelt chime issue. I really think BMW messed up when they decided to run the seatbelt/door chime through the sound system.
Anybody hear anything succinct from BMW on if there is a fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
jeffgingras
1addict
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i3

Just had this happen for the third time, but over a year has passed since the previous occurrence. A loud and very irritating noise. Dealer can't diagnose since it is so intermittent. I'm hoping the next time it happens it is during business hours so I can drive it to the dealer and have them listen to it for a while...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

What a coincidence... this exact same thing happened to me just today for the first time, and hopefully the last.

We were coming back to the car after being in a dept store for a few minutes and my wife who was the first to open the door said there was a really loud noise in the car. So I opened the drivers side door, gave it a listen and immediately thought back to TMR013's thread I had read from a few months ago, then turned to my wife and said "I've read about this on 1addicts... don't worry, it'll go away after a while."

The sound was coming from the rear speakers, and nothing I did (turn car on, turn car off, turn on audio system, turn off audio system, put key in, take key out, etc) would make it go away.

I considered driving it straight to my BMW dealership but honestly the noise was so loud it would have drowned out any ambient noise and therefore would have made driving quite dangerous.

Sure enough, after 5-10 minutes or so it stopped on its own at which point I was already on hold with the BMW service dept.

If my friends or co-workers were with me while this happened they'd be like, "WTF is that? And you paid how much for this car???"

Despite all this, I absolutely love my car, and I like to think this just gives it character.

Still, if anyone has had this problem successfully fixed, I'd love to hear it.
Appreciate 0