BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Breyton GTS-R's are cracked

So I go to have my wheels checked out because I'm getting alot of vibration in the car thinking that I've bent some rims...turns out my front two rims are cracked. WTF? I've had these for a few months and never in my 21 years of driving have I ever actually cracked a rim. I try to contact Tire Rack about them and they're giving me the run around of "buy a new set, send us yours and we'll decide if we'll warranty them." RIGHT. Why the hell would I want to buy a second set if these are so cheap that they're cracking after a few months? I've tried to contact Gil via email with no response. I'm really pissed right now. Oh yea...the "tech" that I sent these pictures to said "oh, those are obviously impact fractures. WHERE THE F*CK DO YOU SEE IMPACT MARKS????

10-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKid View Post
So I go to have my wheels checked out because I'm getting alot of vibration in the car thinking that I've bent some rims...turns out my front two rims are cracked. WTF? I've had these for a few months and never in my 21 years of driving have I ever actually cracked a rim. I try to contact Tire Rack about them and they're giving me the run around of "buy a new set, send us yours and we'll decide if we'll warranty them." RIGHT. Why the hell would I want to buy a second set if these are so cheap that they're cracking after a few months? I've tried to contact Gil via email with no response. I'm really pissed right now. Oh yea...the "tech" that I sent these pictures to said "oh, those are obviously impact fractures. WHERE THE F*CK DO YOU SEE IMPACT MARKS????

You tried to contact me via email with no response? Really? So the PM I sent you at 8:15am, 15min after I arrived at work this morning, telling you exactly how to go about addressing this situation does not count?

If this is a defect in the product it will be handled as such and they will be replaced. If it is a situation where abuse has occurred then it will not be covered. The only way to determine what caused the failure is to have them inspected. The only way to have them inspected is to have them here to do so. I hardly think it's unreasonable to inspect damaged wheels for a defect before sending new ones out.

For the record, I've owned the exact same wheels for roughly 20K miles and have had no issues, other than the one I caused (gouged wheel from something I hit.)

Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Actually no...I emailed these pictures to you today around noon to your tirerack address at noon, 4 hours after your PM note telling me to "contact customer service."

These wheels have been BABIED, yet I have two cracks in them. I guess I expected Breyton to make a rim at the same quality level as the original OEM wheels from BMW. I don't have an extra $700+ laying around to order a new pair in hopes *cough*bullsh1t*cough* that Tire Rack will warranty these obviously defective wheels. After speaking to your CS rep, she tells me to take them to a reputable wheel distributor (of her recommendation) to have a bare rim runout performed....but even once that is done to PROVE how the crack occured, she still needs them to be sent in for inspection. What the hell is the point of having a 3rd party look at them (at a price, no less) if Tire Rack still has to inspect them? For all the money that Tire Rack expects me to spend on sending them around in HOPES of a warranty, I can have them repaired locally and not lose time on the road. Definitely the LAST time I order from Tire Rack. If these had been purchased locally (gee, I guess that's why Breyton only sells online) I'd be rolling on a new pair right now. Thanks Tire Rack...you've been a big help!
      10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

this is very unfortunate. I am def gonna follow this to see how it gets resolved!
      10-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
this is very unfortunate. I am def gonna follow this to see how it gets resolved!
Agree that it's very unfortunate, but less-than-optimal way to go about getting something resolved, IMO. (frustrating as I'm sure it is)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Agree that it's very unfortunate, but less-than-optimal way to go about getting something resolved, IMO. (frustrating as I'm sure it is)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

I'm not an expert, but if it was caused by an impact, wouldn't the cracking be on the opposite side of the supposed impact, or at least through and through from inside diameter out. Picture a bar of metal bending, it cracks furthest from the bend first, not closest. Very weird, and I'll also be watching closely. I have Breyton GTS-R's for my winter set-up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Actually no...I emailed these pictures to you today around noon to your tirerack address at noon, 4 hours after your PM note telling me to "contact customer service."

These wheels have been BABIED, yet I have two cracks in them. I guess I expected Breyton to make a rim at the same quality level as the original OEM wheels from BMW. I don't have an extra $700+ laying around to order a new pair in hopes *cough*bullsh1t*cough* that Tire Rack will warranty these obviously defective wheels. After speaking to your CS rep, she tells me to take them to a reputable wheel distributor (of her recommendation) to have a bare rim runout performed....but even once that is done to PROVE how the crack occured, she still needs them to be sent in for inspection. What the hell is the point of having a 3rd party look at them (at a price, no less) if Tire Rack still has to inspect them? For all the money that Tire Rack expects me to spend on sending them around in HOPES of a warranty, I can have them repaired locally and not lose time on the road. Definitely the LAST time I order from Tire Rack. If these had been purchased locally (gee, I guess that's why Breyton only sells online) I'd be rolling on a new pair right now. Thanks Tire Rack...you've been a big help!
Don't be a douche, dude. You think all impact marks are visible? Tire Rack isn't going to just GIVE you new wheels unless they look at them. It makes no business sense. If you think this is Tire Rack's fault, consider first that they didn't make the rims. Consider second that shit happens. Consider third that they can't just give people new rims every time something happens. They have to be certain.

If you want anything good to come of this, you should stop being a jackass. Otherwise, nobody is going to listen to you or help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
gawee77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MSM F06 GC M6

Oh wow, and I ALMOST order these yesterday...

I want to see how this gets resolved before making my $2500 decision...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Those look like the kind of cracks from hitting a bad pothole but the tires dont look damaged at all. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Watching this one closely!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
You tried to contact me via email with no response? Really? So the PM I sent you at 8:15am, 15min after I arrived at work this morning, telling you exactly how to go about addressing this situation does not count?

If this is a defect in the product it will be handled as such and they will be replaced. If it is a situation where abuse has occurred then it will not be covered. The only way to determine what caused the failure is to have them inspected. The only way to have them inspected is to have them here to do so. I hardly think it's unreasonable to inspect damaged wheels for a defect before sending new ones out.

For the record, I've owned the exact same wheels for roughly 20K miles and have had no issues, other than the one I caused (gouged wheel from something I hit.)

Gill
It might have been best to not make this statement "For the record, I've owned the exact same wheels for roughly 20K miles and have had no issues, other than the one I caused (gouged wheel from something I hit.)" It really has no relevance to this situation, just because you don't have an issue with the wheels does not mean the op's wheels are not defective. Since no one knows if there is a defect, nothing more needs to be said until the wheels are inspected.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #14
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IBMW View Post
It might have been best to not make this statement "For the record, I've owned the exact same wheels for roughly 20K miles and have had no issues, other than the one I caused (gouged wheel from something I hit.)" It really has no relevance to this situation, just because you don't have an issue with the wheels does not mean the op's wheels are not defective. Since no one knows if there is a defect, nothing more needs to be said until the wheels are inspected.
I agree. That was rather unprofessional on behalf of TireRack.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
oofa...subscribing!
      10-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Shitty, I love my wheels. Really hope this doesn't happen to mine. Good luck OP. In for results.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As of 10am this morning I have received no email from you with pictures of wheels. Perhaps you left me off the list when sending them to customer service.

Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
I agree. That was rather unprofessional on behalf of TireRack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IBMW View Post

Sorry if you feel this way. He defamed a product that I feel very strongly about. He inserted his opinion as fact with this statement: "...these are so cheap that they're cracking after a few months?"

I added my personal experience with the same product. I see it as very relevant in the context he established. If you don't, we'll agree to disagree.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

You guys need to stop going back and forth or this thread will get closed by the moderators.

Just send the wheel in and lets see what happens. Unfortunately like it or not thats the nature of mail order, there isn't a shop you can take it to.

Though Gill, I think Tirerack should allow their authorized installers to make these kind of assessments.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Guys
Gill is a stand up vendor and will sort this out

Plz everyone refrain from judgment until TR has a chance to resolve this peacefully.

Next time keep this to Pm's ...i know gill responds to pm's VM and calls immed.

Ty
      10-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
Don't be a douche, dude. You think all impact marks are visible? Tire Rack isn't going to just GIVE you new wheels unless they look at them. It makes no business sense. If you think this is Tire Rack's fault, consider first that they didn't make the rims. Consider second that shit happens. Consider third that they can't just give people new rims every time something happens. They have to be certain.

If you want anything good to come of this, you should stop being a jackass. Otherwise, nobody is going to listen to you or help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
Sorry if you feel this way. He defamed a product that I feel very strongly about. He inserted his opinion as fact with this statement: "...these are so cheap that they're cracking after a few months?"

I added my personal experience with the same product. I see it as very relevant in the context he established. If you don't, we'll agree to disagree.
Lets just say, that statement did nothing to focus on the root cause of the issue. Is the op's wheel defective? That can only be answered after the wheel is inspected.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=22

Is this a defect? Can't tell unless the wheel is inspected.....
Appreciate 0