BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Looking for advice on ED purchase of new 135i

My wife is expecting late next May and I'd like to do the ED pickup next March/April with her before our first arrives. Unfortunately we don't have the comp. leave to go this year, so it's got to be late winter/early spring '09 for the ED.

My question: is there any way to take advantage of the 0.9% financing and still get a custom build 135i? I don't much care if it's an '08 (versus an '09) if it means getting the financing. And if I buy now, I assume I wouldn't be making payments until I take delivery, correct (aside from some form of refundable deposit)?

And with respect to ED, what do all of you do for transportation during the weeks between the actual pickup in Munich and the delivery date here in the states?

Thanks all. I'm looking forward to joining the group some day.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

there are no more ED '08's, it would have to be an 09

also, hey there Neon, haven't seen you post on M3 forum for a while, congrats on the baby :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You have to pay for the new car before you go to Germany for the ED, so if you're using your current car as a trade in, you'll have to make other transportation arrangements that could last 4 to 6 weeks. I think most people have an old car they use in the interim. I don't know if you can find a cost effective rental for that long.
      10-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
there are no more ED '08's, it would have to be an 09

also, hey there Neon, haven't seen you post on M3 forum for a while, congrats on the baby :thumbup:
Thanks. Yeah, I've had a lot of other things on my plate in the last 8-10 months. My manual tranny gets in the way of using my M3 too much (with my wife unable to drive it), so I'm thinking of going for a 135i.

The E46 used market seems really soft, so maybe I'll end up picking up a new car on one of these great incentive deals and sell my car in a few months.

I'm really eyeing the Infiniti G37 coupe too with their 0.9% apr deal right now, but then we couldn't do ED, which is a big detractor for my wife!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
You have to pay for the new car before you go to Germany for the ED, so if you're using your current car as a trade in, you'll have to make other transportation arrangements that could last 4 to 6 weeks. I think most people have an old car they use in the interim. I don't know if you can find a cost effective rental for that long.
Oh I see, thanks. I'm sure this info is out there to be had, but how long does it typically take from the time I go into a dealership with the car/options I want until I have it at my door, ready to use (with the ED program)? If I need the car by April time frame, should I start looking, or wait a couple months?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

^ If you need the car by April you would have to order it by November/December. It usually takes about 6 weeks to get everything done (production, etc.). So let's say you order in mid-November, you can pick it up sometime in January. It's going to take about 6 weeks (usually about 4 or so for the East Coast) to get back to your local dealer. So you're basically looking at picking up your car some time in March (beginning or mid depending on when you're picking up the car) assuming everything goes well. If there are delays such as pick up dates, transport, VDC, etc. it might end up being April. Although I don't think you will have an issue with requesting a pick up date (since very few people go in the winter), it would be best to order sometime in November and set a date. This way if anything goes wrong you still have time to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
wnta135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Don't get your hopes up for short delivery after drop off in Europe. I dropped mine off on June 6 and picked it up at the dealer on July 28.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

My CA told me usually you order the car for ED 3 month ahead of your pick-up day. It maybe ok for shorter time period you should talk to your CA. I ordered it in last June and chose pick-up day in last Sept. The car (128i Coope) was built at the end of July (before Summer break).

It's true you have to finish all the paper work to pay full amount before ED delivery, usually 1 week before your pick-up day. However, if you choose finance your car, the first mayment would be due 1 month after your ED pick-up day. You can re-finance later.

BMWUSA website estimates about 6-8 week from ED drop-off to re-delivery at BMW center you chose. The wait time is shorter in East coast, also shorter if you drop-off at Harms, Munich. I droped my car on Sept 23. It was on the vessel on 9/29 and left Germany on 9/30. It shipped over to Newark on Oct 13. My CA told me it will still take about 2-3 weeks for me to pick-up, so in end of Oct or early Nov.

Also you may need winter tire in certain area in Europe (definitaly in Apls) during winter time. Check out bmwusa.com on ED.

I have driven my 96 Infiniti G20 for last 12 years and put on 190,000 miles. I did not do trade-in. I just keep drive this G20 until I got back my baby. I then may sell it private party or donate it to get some income tax deduction.

All in all, to do BMW ED, you need to plan well and early. Another key is to have a good CA. We had great time in Europe. Hope you will have a wonderful experience too and good luck on your first baby.

ps
for Mod,
I put my report and photo on ED in bimmerfest.com website, is it ok to just post the link here? Or I'd re-post here (not easy for me to re-do the photo upload)?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies all. It looks like I'd like to get some quotes on the following:

'09 135i coupe (ED invoice pricing): $30,460
Premium: $3095
Sport: $1000
Comfort: $455
Cold Weather: $545
HD Radio: $315
Metallic Paint: $500
Stereo Upgrade: $795
Total: $38,130 before destination/dealer incentive/tax/tags. So if I offered $40k before tax and tags, that'd be a little over $1000 for the dealer to process the ED paperwork. Seem reasonable?

Also, does anyone know where I can get similar numbers for the 335i coupe? I'm looking to make an "apples to apples" comparison for '09 ED.
Appreciate 0