BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

BMW SSK: Can you purchase mechanical parts only?

Tried searching and couldn't find a definitive answer. Is it possible to order the individual BMW Performance SSK parts for the 135i sans alcantara boot & knob. I want to use my stock M-Sport knob & boot so I'm hoping to purchase the mechanical parts only. If this is possible, would someone be kind enough to post the part numbers I need? Also, how many hours labor are dealerships going to charge, only 1 I hope? Do they change the shifter arm AND lever on the 135i or just the lever? Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Tried searching and couldn't find a definitive answer. Is it possible to order the individual BMW Performance SSK parts for the 135i sans alcantara boot & knob. I want to use my stock M-Sport knob & boot so I'm hoping to purchase the mechanical parts only. If this is possible, would someone be kind enough to post the part numbers I need? Also, how many hours labor are dealerships going to charge, only 1 I hope? Do they change the shifter arm AND lever on the 135i or just the lever? Thanks guys.
I asked this same question when the kit first came out. I spoke to a few local dealers and Dan @ United.

The parts are not sold seperately from the kit and thus you would have to buy the kit. Best bet is to just sell the Alcantara boot and knob. I still have my boot wrapped in plastic and the knob was used in my E30.

As far as installation is concerned, I think it took 2 hours maximum as the exhaust had to be dropped to be able to gain access to the shift arm to the trans. The lever is cake to access but the arm is necessary otherwise your driveshaft will rub on it.
      03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

My dealer wanted 2 hours at 135 an hour. Another dealer wanted 2 hours at 125 an hour. Ended up going to a good ind. shop that charged me $200 flat. Pricy to install but worth it, great mod.
      03-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
I asked this same question when the kit first came out. I spoke to a few local dealers and Dan @ United.

The parts are not sold seperately from the kit and thus you would have to buy the kit. Best bet is to just sell the Alcantara boot and knob. I still have my boot wrapped in plastic and the knob was used in my E30.

As far as installation is concerned, I think it took 2 hours maximum as the exhaust had to be dropped to be able to gain access to the shift arm to the trans. The lever is cake to access but the arm is necessary otherwise your driveshaft will rub on it.
Thanks very much for the info, you've answered all my questions!
Appreciate 0