BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55

Wire Diagram - Switch / Foglights

All i have already retro fitted the Foglights from the Msport front bumper onto my 2011 N55. YES YES YES i created a duct for the oil cooler and did not cover it up. Ill get some pics up once i get the fog lights working. If your on the 135i Page on facebook and want pictures now, I posted some there.

What i'm looking for is how to hook the fog lights up because i could not find a wiring kit from the BMW dealer local to me. they said its a bunch of wires
best constant Power source, ignition lead source (don't power on unless car is on), last but not least the best way to get the wires through the firewall.

I saw a write up to remove the passenger side fuse box and run the wires that was but would rather run them on the driver side if possible.

Any information is helpful, i searched the forums with not much luck on the N55 for wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I'm not sure if they changed it for the n55 but on my car I found a few diagrams that showed the control for the fog lights going into the footwell module up underneath the pedals. I swear I made a thread about it. I spent hours following wires and looking a diagrams. Turns out since I didn't have fog lights they put a different wiring harness going into the footwell module that doesn't have that wire coming out of it. Example. The light switch connects to the fwm and then a wire goes to the lights to control them, on of and high beams. It was something like wire #26 in the harness. My harness has no wire 26. I wanted to hook my radar detector up to the fog light button since I nodded my switch for the buttons to work. This is where I ran into the problem. There was no wire to tap into. I wasn't about to find the right type of pin and just put it in there because I didn't know what would happen. I quit looking because it wasn't saying much about what other wires were involved with powering up the lights. The rear fog lights come on and both buttons light up the signal for each in dash. I think I made a thread about it. I'll have to look. Good luck but I think I came to the conclusion that if I didn't have them from the factory all the wiring from the fwm to the lights isn't there. I think youd be better off trying to tap into the power to the headlights. I'll post up any info I can dig up from when I went searching. Good luck

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
I can't search using my phone. I really wish someone would get a handle on the Android app for this site. Its such crap. The mobile site doesn't work very well either. The desktop version on my phone has been the best so far but still doesn't work all the way. Try searching my name with fog light mod or fog light Lego mod. There was a thread way back on how to do it. I might have posted in there.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
I can't search using my phone. I really wish someone would get a handle on the Android app for this site. Its such crap. The mobile site doesn't work very well either. The desktop version on my phone has been the best so far but still doesn't work all the way. Try searching my name with fog light mod or fog light Lego mod. There was a thread way back on how to do it. I might have posted in there.
Thanks for the info. I tried to search your name and your posts but i dont see anything regarding fog lights.. If you get time to search for it, that be great. If not ill have to keep doing some research. I do agree that ill have to just find a constant and non constant power source instead of hooking to a factory plug or harness somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_i35 View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried to search your name and your posts but i dont see anything regarding fog lights.. If you get time to search for it, that be great. If not ill have to keep doing some research. I do agree that ill have to just find a constant and non constant power source instead of hooking to a factory plug or harness somewhere.
http://bettertuning.blogspot.com/201...er-to-bmw.html
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Lol! I completely forgot about that! Hahaha. That's awesome. I love permanent reminders of my stupidity. That was only the beginning. After that I took all the trim off on that side. Removed the hood pop and trim surrounding. Removed the black panel over the pedals dug some more and found the footwell module. Then spent about 2 hours staring at diagrams online. Then gave up. Haha. That huge lighter is ridiculous. Kudos to finding that.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
If you want to route to the glove box this will show the fuse you can use.http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763421
But that will be on all the time. When the car is on.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
If you want to route to the glove box this will show the fuse you can use.http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763421
But that will be on all the time. When the car is on.
This is good info, and your other post where you eventually failed is almost exactly what i did last night. hha i noticed that Pins 1,2,8 were not being used. I detached the two buttons and they both work, one for the rear fogs (pointless to me), the other indicates fog lights are on.

I guess at this point i cant use that stock fog light switch without knowing what or where on the ECU the wire actually sends the signal out to "Real Fog Lights".

that being said do you know where or what i can make my connections to in the engine bay?
- Power (Switch) 12v
- Constant power (Battery/source in engine bay?)12v
- Ground (that's easy)
- Ignition: Assuming i can use the fuse which you indicated in your post, but i'm concerned about the voltage. the ignition doesn't need to send power right? it only needs to have small signal to indicate the car is on and the lights/switch can power on the fogs.

thanks for any information, First BMW never knew everything was so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
You should be able to use that fuse for ignition. The constant can come from the jumper spot under the hood. Has a red cap on it. Its hooked right up to the battery. Like you said ground is easy. The problem lies with the switch part. You could go through that website listed on that blog dtla1 posted. It has the wiring diagrams for a lot if stuff. You can get the color of all the wires you need that go to the headlights and hook the switch up to the low beams. That way they turn off with high beams like they are supposed to. Other than that you can probably use the switch that turns the lights on. In the lights switch the dial used to turn the lights on could be used as the switch. Which ever wire comes out of the lights part. Can't use the fog light buttons but the dial switch should work. I would research the wires that go to the low beams. That would be the best bet and keep the wire lengths down. Give you the cleanest look in the engine bay. Check out that website. Let us know what you find.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Haha. Everything on these cars gets complicated if you can't find someone that's done it already.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #11
White_i35
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ahhhh haha thanks for all of the information.. Much appreciated. I'll be in Boston this weekend for a hockey tournament but next weekend this is the project for me to tackle.. I assume I'll have to run everything over to the passenger side and through the firewall because the driver side firewall is harder to get through according to other posts and write ups.. I'll def. let you guys know how it turns out, and get some pics hosted for a quick DIY or something.
Appreciate 0