BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
mike649
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Is BMW Performance Chassis same as BMW Performance Suspension?

Hi,
Newbie to both BMW and this forum. Just got a new BMW 128i (2012) non M-sport. I'm very excited about it, and looking forward to having fun with it.

All the discussion here on suspension has got me psyched to upgrade to the BMW Performance suspension. However I'm a bit lost on this topic, and am hoping for some help.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. When I enquired with a dealer service and with one independent bmw shop, they didn't know what I was talking about when I said "BMW Performance suspension". When I looked at the performance parts on bmw.ca, I don't see such item/kit. What I do see is something called "BMW Performance Chassis".

Is this the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

By the way, I don't track -- or at least haven't yet. I just like driving curvy roads.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike649 View Post
Hi,
Newbie to both BMW and this forum. Just got a new BMW 128i (2012) non M-sport. I'm very excited about it, and looking forward to having fun with it.

All the discussion here on suspension has got me psyched to upgrade to the BMW Performance suspension. However I'm a bit lost on this topic, and am hoping for some help.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. When I enquired with a dealer service and with one independent bmw shop, they didn't know what I was talking about when I said "BMW Performance suspension". When I looked at the performance parts on bmw.ca, I don't see such item/kit. What I do see is something called "BMW Performance Chassis".

Is this the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

By the way, I don't track -- or at least haven't yet. I just like driving curvy roads.

Thanks.
Indeed, the BMW Performance Chassis means the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Looks like BMW CA calls it: BMW Performance chassis

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/acces...e_chassis.html

BMW Performance chassis.
For an enthusiast's feel for the road.

BMW Performance chassis.
For an enthusiast's feel for the road.
BMW Performance wheels and the braking system have a remarkably low weight, which affects in particular the vehicle's unsprung mass, and, as a direct result, its driving dynamics. It is not just the light-alloy wheels' clear, focussed design that lends them their appeal. The cut-away design of the join between spokes and rim allows more air to get to the BMW Performance brakes, ensuring they work with maximum efficiency even at high temperatures. The BMW Performance chassis transmits the passion for extremely dynamic response directly from the vehicle straight to the driver – with firm settings for springs, dampers and stabilizers configured for an uncompromisingly sporty style of driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
mike649
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Thanks for the confirmation. The dealership parts/service quoted me $3600 CAD ($1300 parts + $2300 labour). A bit higher than I expected based on numbers I read here. Still waiting for an indie bmw shop to reply with a quote.

Any recommendations/advice on where to do this is Vancouver? Unfortunately I'm not confident enough to install on my own as many of the folks here.
Appreciate 0