E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Factory Suspension specs??

06-11-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
apex188
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Factory Suspension specs??

Hi,

Does anyone know the detail in regards to this issue about the factory suspension specs designed for the run-flat tires?

I"m thinking of putting on springs and adding larger wheels etc.
If the springs are changed to say H&R, would this upset the shock settings of the car? or would this work out as I would be changing the wheels and tires also, therefore leading to almost a whole suspension change?

any feedback would be appreciated. I would be quite pissed to find that BMW is holding everyone to using run flat tires....
I don't really like how they handle over small bumps. A bit too stiff on the sidewalls.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

I'm sure H&R will have matched the springs they sell to work very well with the stock shocks. I'm not sure anyone has any real idea yet how changing to non-runflat tires will effect the suspension... at least I havnt read anything on here yet. Since you already changing springs and tires, If you changed out the shocks also then you'd have a completely new suspension and not have to worry about anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
the car will be just fine with just H&R springs. However, the stiffer and lower springs will wear out the standard shocks faster then normal, and you may notice the ride getting bouncy and less comfortable after a year or two of use. Getting springs+shocks in either a matched set or a coilover setup is the best way of course because since the shocks are matched to the springs, they will last longer and offer much better performance, but this option isnt affordable to everyone.

anyways, getting springs alone is fine and wont upset the car or anything, just be aware that it wont handle as good as a matched set (but still will handle better then stock), and the stock shocks will wear out faster.

as for the run flat matched with suspension crap, its all marketing, dont worry about that.