BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Turning off brake service due light

The brake light and the car on a lift icon came on for me last week (and remains annoyingly on). Checked my sensors that are not connected and tied off and everything is ok. I change my pads before and after every track session (which neccesistates me to tie them off). I went throught my service checks on my computer, and the computer says my rear brakes are due (and fronts are due in 90 miles). This despite the fact that I had all my brake pads and rotors replaced last year at the end of my service/warranty period. Apparently the dealer did not reset the computer. I tried using the method provided by DACKEL on the forum he uses to reset the oil on the service computer for the brakes to no avail. I have purchased new brake sensors just in case and will have them delivered today.

How do I reset the service computer brake interval?(without going to the dealer)
Do I need to install new brake sensors or can I reset without installing?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I recently had this happen to me too.

Two things.
1. Some say that the computer needs to a change in ohms before it will reset, i.e. you changed the sensor.
2. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698040

I accidentally ripped mine in two when I was doing a suspension install so i just took the two ends and wrapped them together. However, the service dept also didn't reset the computer that's why the light went off. I got new front pads and rotors a month ago under warranty and they changed the sensor, but didn't reset the mileage calculation on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

So I tried resetting before replacing the sensor and everything went blank but the brake light did not go off. Per the instructions, I replaced the sensor and it did not go off initially. After giving up, I drove 10 miles and the light disappeared. What is weird is that the service is now showing I need service on the front in 2,200 miles (after Dealer installed brand new pads, rotors AND calipers last year and less than 6,000 miles ago) and 4,500 on the rear. I will try using the service reset again later in the week. Per the e90 posts, I might have to disconnect and reconnect the front sensor. With the light off, I feel comfortable going back to the dealer and asking why this was not reset and making them reset it for free. Afterall, when I tired to get my pads replaced after 10,000 miles at a few dealerships a few years ago and they said it was too early, why all of sudden do I need new pads after less than 10,000 miles? Cause I am not under warranty/service?(sarcasm) I am not against dealerships making money, as long as it is honest work for honest pay. Way too many electronic gizmos turning these cars into atm machines for dealerships. Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
See my recent post on the same issue.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027903

Not what you want to hear but best I could do with Dackelone's recommendation was a few thousand miles. After the dealer reset with the computer the problem is fixed - 25K front and 31K rear. In my case I was in warranty and needed a free brake fluid change so they covered it at no cost - Patrick BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Since Patrick redid my front calipers, rotors and pads, I guess I will go back to them and tell them they need to reset the sensors. Why would they need to redo anything in a year and less than 7,000 miles?! Have not had a chance to try and reset yet, but will do this if I can't. Thanks HeelToe.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I don't know about you but for me I tracked it to the point where the brake warning light was on solid. Maybe that has something to do with it. I had the sensors pigtailed so I'm not sure how it decided that they needed replacement.
      10-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, that is exactly what happened. It turns on because they also have in the computer a mileage countdown. It is why I am upset it went off in the first place. It should have been reset by the dealership. I have got the light off per my earlier post, but the mileage reset to 2,200 in the front and 4,500 in the back after I replaced the rear sensor (and drove for 10 miles). If it won't reset when I try to reset it, I plan to go back to Patrick and at least get them to reset the front since they replaced everything on the front brakes last year. Did not play around with disconnecting and reconnecting front yet either per the posts in the e90 forum. The light is very annoying. More annoying is the way BMW has designed these cars to serve as payout machines for dealerships. As I stated before, I have no problem paying someone for honest work. Reseting a light that is not accurate is not one of those instances.
Appreciate 0