BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #45
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
That's interesting that you say the car bounces around. Mine doesn't bounce at all. The new dampers are so much better that even with shorter, tighter springs I feel like my ride is at least as good as it was stock.

Mid corner bumps are absorbed more easily with less energy transfer to the body, keeping the car more planted than it was when stock.

Give some further impressions after driving it more (and not drinking...)
      06-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #46
vasracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6spd Msport

It definitely does feel bouncy, it may be due to the run flats, I don't know. A large bump does have only 1 rebound if that's what you are referring to, I am mostly referring to the small bumps that were previously completely absorbed. I don't mind it all, I find the car much better planted.

I may try some local canyon roads tonight, if I can finish work. And yes, without drinking hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #47
vasracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6spd Msport

got called by work and cant get back to sleep...

so I have had the stage 3 for ten days now...

still haven't done any serious driving...but the car drives perfectly now. The turn in is impressive, the car will just go where its pointed. Roll is gone. The feel is much more direct. It feels less like a big car now.

What I have been impressed with is the runflats on the street. They are fine. The fronts squeal more after the camber plates, but they grip. They don't get hot enough on the street to cause a problem. I don't think I am going to change them now. There is plenty of grip, and I can get the rear end out safely at controllable speeds, which is kind of the point for street driving. And I don't have to wait for a tow truck if something happens to the tires.

I do think this is the ideal street suspension, no thumping or creaking, very livable, modest lowering that only the owner would notice. As capable as the stock suspension is, it really should be marketed as the luxury suspension. Almost any modification wakes the car up.

And just to be clear, I am sure this thing is much better on the track now, since most of my track complaints centered around the softness and lack of turning ability, and of course traction. With those apex wheels...this car would be sick.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #48
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
got called by work and cant get back to sleep...

so I have had the stage 3 for ten days now...

still haven't done any serious driving...but the car drives perfectly now. The turn in is impressive, the car will just go where its pointed. Roll is gone. The feel is much more direct. It feels less like a big car now.

What I have been impressed with is the runflats on the street. They are fine. The fronts squeal more after the camber plates, but they grip. They don't get hot enough on the street to cause a problem. I don't think I am going to change them now. There is plenty of grip, and I can get the rear end out safely at controllable speeds, which is kind of the point for street driving. And I don't have to wait for a tow truck if something happens to the tires.

I do think this is the ideal street suspension, no thumping or creaking, very livable, modest lowering that only the owner would notice. As capable as the stock suspension is, it really should be marketed as the luxury suspension. Almost any modification wakes the car up.

And just to be clear, I am sure this thing is much better on the track now, since most of my track complaints centered around the softness and lack of turning ability, and of course traction. With those apex wheels...this car would be sick.
Hell yeah. I agree 100% about the street driving feel of the suspension. I am so happy with this setup. You'll notice a big improvement over stock on the track, as long as you don't use the run flats as they give up way too early. So do the brake pads for that matter...

I'm planning on putting the run flats on to drive down to WV for my next track event, and then using the breytons and direzzas at the track. Those tires, combined with the carbotech pads I put on should make this a ton of fun on the track. I can't wait.

It's great to hear that someone else is enjoying the perfect street setup that Dinan put together.