E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trading in my brand new 330xi

03-12-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 320i

Trading in my brand new 330xi

Hey Guys,
I just bought a brand new Jet Black 330xi in Steptronic (mainly due to my parents) and feel unsatisfied on two accounts. First, I am very much a 'manual' driver and find it difficult to adjust to the steptronic. Second, there is a very noticeable vibration in the foot pedals and especially the foot rest at all times during driving except when I am actually speeding up past 1500rpm. I bought it 2 weeks ago and upon returning from DC just now it has 1000 miles. How much money would I lose on this if I traded it in and I would appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this issue as well. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:29 AM   #2
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Only 1000 miles? Give it time mate, most manual drivers havn't even gotten used to their clutches to cover themselves in all situations, so I think you should give the Steptronic some more time. It's a nicely spec'd car and it will be a shame to get rid of it. That's my opinion.

Initial depreciation is usually the worst but after just 1k miles, i don't know, it certainly will be a great deal of money, not just a couple of hundred, you could be losing in the thousands
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #3
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

I've read many posts on this forum regarding the rough idle when the car is starting up in cold weahter. However, I find the foot rest to vibrate tremendously even when driving the car. It is very annoying. Is this normal or do I need to show this to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkl
Hey Guys,
I just bought a brand new Jet Black 330xi in Steptronic (mainly due to my parents) and feel unsatisfied on two accounts. First, I am very much a 'manual' driver and find it difficult to adjust to the steptronic. Second, there is a very noticeable vibration in the foot pedals and especially the foot rest at all times during driving except when I am actually speeding up past 1500rpm. I bought it 2 weeks ago and upon returning from DC just now it has 1000 miles. How much money would I lose on this if I traded it in and I would appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this issue as well. Thank you.
brace yourself to at least get 5k less than what you paid for, the higher the mileage and older the car, the more depreciation
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 05:03 AM   #5
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Vibration in the footwells is often associated with tyres/wheels or tracking/balancing problems - which makes sense because the two front wheels are the only moving parts near the footwell - tell the dealer, see what they say about it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Have you ever had an automatic before? When was the last time you had it(as a daily driver)?

because if you are really manual oriented, steptronic or any automatic for that matter will feel literally like CRAP. Even me(i personally prefer automatic. actually, if there was no traffic in this world, I would pick manual no matter what), it took time to adjust to steptronic. Manual is so much more fun to drive. If you find the transmission factor as a problem, I HIGHLY suggest you make your decision fast. because you'll seriously regret later. Transmission is a huge factor in a car. Get what you really want.

Forget how much you'll lose right now. Few thousand dollar loss is worth the amount of extra happyness(satisfaction) you'll acheive down the road.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
rickb
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
brace yourself to at least get 5k less than what you paid for, the higher the mileage and older the car, the more depreciation
More likely 7-10K. Initial depreciation as you drive off the lot is by far the biggest single chunk, and you're about to take it.

As for the rough idle, if it is all the time (as opposed to while warming up) then I think it's obvious you want your dealer to look at it. But a rough idle as a car warms up certainly isn't restricted to an e90 - that happens with just about every car in cold weather.

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself one way or the other on keeping the car - your concern of the rough idle is something that could easily by evened out with some minor adjustments by the dealer unless you are looking for an excuse to sell. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter what suggestions we make.

Realistically, how often is a v6 really running under 1500RPMs, by the way? Seems like I am always in the 2-3K range while cruising.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
eloso5
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb
Realistically, how often is a v6 really running under 1500RPMs, by the way? Seems like I am always in the 2-3K range while cruising.
V6
      03-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I only see a straight inline 6 in my engine bay.. v6 an option?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
You'll take a bath on the depreciation. Try using DS mode on the step - it's not quite the same but will feel more like manual box. I also agree that you should check the balance on your front wheels - but, have you ever had a BMW before? You do "feel" the road - that is part of what BMW is about. Try some different types of roads to be sure you're not just feeling vibration from a roughly paved road.

I've got a better one for ya... there is a lady in my neighborhood who just bought a Lexus IS... I mean like a few weeks ago... and she just sold it because she HEARD there MIGHT be a battery problem. Go figure.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
rickb
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 06 325i

DOH yup - sorry "i6" (that's what I get for looking hard at a Benz I guess).

But my argument still stands - I don't spin as low as 1500 RPMs very much at all - seems I am always way above that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

give it a little time. i think you have a very nice car. I've been to pitt, and i think it was a good idea to get the xi. what would you get to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I've got a better one for ya... there is a lady in my neighborhood who just bought a Lexus IS... I mean like a few weeks ago... and she just sold it because she HEARD there MIGHT be a battery problem. Go figure.
Do people really have this kind of money to throw out? Maybe I need to get into a different job...

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
Silver 325i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver
Do people really have this kind of money to throw out? Maybe I need to get into a different job...
I agree some people are so dumb and waste so much money!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
quincy
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Unless you're going to custom order the car.It's going to be hard to get what you want with a manual.Most dealers in the states don't have any E90's with a manual in hand,Most dealers in the midwest don't even have a good selection of auto spec'd E90's in stock.

I don't know your financial situation but at this juncture you better off keeping your E90, You've got a nicely spec'd one too.After a year it would'nt be so bad.

Give it a couple months you might end up being a big fan of the septronic.Sometimes there's resistance to change.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkl
Hey Guys,
I would definitely take the car in and have it checked out regarding the vibration. That's a problem that can usually be solved fairly simply.

If you really prefer a manual transmission and just can't bear the thought of driving the steptronic for the next few years that's more of a consideration. I do think it's important to have a car equipped the way you prefer to bring you true driving satisfaction.

If you do decide to trade or sell you may not do too badly on initial depreciation. 1000 miles on a BMW is really nothing. You'll do better selling the car yourself than trading for another model at the dealer. Check sites like cars.com, carmax.com, autotrader.com and other auto buying/selling sites to see what the market is for slightly used cars similar to yours.

Either way good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

does mainly due to your parents mean that they influenced your decision to buy a 330Xi auto, or that they bought it for you

if they bought it for you, sell it and get what you want. I'd rather have a 325 stick than a 330 auto

If they convinced you to buy it with your own money, yikes, that's a poor situation

sack up and get the right car
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

First of all I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses, I really appreciate it. You guys are great.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #19
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
does mainly due to your parents mean that they influenced your decision to buy a 330Xi auto, or that they bought it for you

if they bought it for you, sell it and get what you want. I'd rather have a 325 stick than a 330 auto

If they convinced you to buy it with your own money, yikes, that's a poor situation

sack up and get the right car
Well I used their money to buy the car (I'm studying at Carnegie Mellon and my parents are great) but they have seen the stuff I do with a manual car and they put a lot of pressure on me to stay away from the stick
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Only 1000 miles? Give it time mate, most manual drivers havn't even gotten used to their clutches to cover themselves in all situations, so I think you should give the Steptronic some more time. It's a nicely spec'd car and it will be a shame to get rid of it. That's my opinion.

Initial depreciation is usually the worst but after just 1k miles, i don't know, it certainly will be a great deal of money, not just a couple of hundred, you could be losing in the thousands
Seems like I'll be losing quite a few thousands
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #21
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb
More likely 7-10K. Initial depreciation as you drive off the lot is by far the biggest single chunk, and you're about to take it.

As for the rough idle, if it is all the time (as opposed to while warming up) then I think it's obvious you want your dealer to look at it. But a rough idle as a car warms up certainly isn't restricted to an e90 - that happens with just about every car in cold weather.

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself one way or the other on keeping the car - your concern of the rough idle is something that could easily by evened out with some minor adjustments by the dealer unless you are looking for an excuse to sell. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter what suggestions we make.

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear but I meant that the vibration stays when I'm past 1500 rpm and not below or at it which is why I thought there might be a problem. However, there seems to be a consensus that there is probably something wrong with the wheels and I will get that looked at. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #22
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Vibration in the footwells is often associated with tyres/wheels or tracking/balancing problems - which makes sense because the two front wheels are the only moving parts near the footwell - tell the dealer, see what they say about it
This makes a lot of sense. I will have the dealer check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks
Appreciate 0