BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #67
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
I'm still confused by the MT vs AT torque numbers. I wonder if the AT ends up with more torque, or just starts with less for some reason. If it ends up with more, I am curious if $50 wouldn't get the tech to give me the AT flash, assuming it is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings0fRed View Post
I'm guessing it has to do with the AT tranny being 'more robust' than the MT tranny. But, as someone else on this thread pointed out, I'm sure the MT could easily take the extra power without any trouble.

Is it possible they sandbagging the MT crowd to get the AT crowd more interested in the tune? If you have any success getting the AT tune for your car worked out please let me/us know.
Conspiracy theorists are alive and well.
Do you guys wear tin foil hats?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #68
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Huh?

They adverstise the AT tune as adding more torque. If that is applied to the same base number, resulting in a higher ending number, I'd like to know if it can be applied to the MT car.

Where's the conspiracy theory in that?

Do they teach reading comprehension where you live?
      09-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #69
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Just heard back from the dealer they said the install is $150 for them to upload the program and would need the car all day. SO if its $699 + $150 we are looking at a $750 bill for 20 more HP??? Not sure if that is worth it. I just feel the $150 is way over the top for that should be included in the $699 price considering they are not putting any parts on at all!!!! And its still not available yet!
      09-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #70
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
BMW's own numbers show that the AT picks up more than the MT - no conspiracy theory here, just speculation as to why the difference.
      09-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #71
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh?

They adverstise the AT tune as adding more torque. If that is applied to the same base number, resulting in a higher ending number, I'd like to know if it can be applied to the MT car.

Where's the conspiracy theory in that?

Do they teach reading comprehension where you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings0fRed View Post
BMW's own numbers show that the AT picks up more than the MT - no conspiracy theory here, just speculation as to why the difference.
It is plenty obvious that what BMW advertised can't be the bit I'm referring to.
Perhaps you are the one in need of reading comprehension.

This:
"If it ends up with more, I am curious if $50 wouldn't get the tech to give me the AT flash, assuming it is possible."
and this:
"Is it possible they sandbagging the MT crowd to get the AT crowd more interested in the tune? If you have any success getting the AT tune for your car worked out please let me/us know."
Implies that BMW is holding back something on purpose.
Why wouldn't BMW give you (or even sell you) the stage 3 for $50 more. Why are they forcing you to bribe some technician if it was technically possible?

We can speculate, that's healthy...
My speculation: there's only one software version (only one product number supports that theory).
That same product makes the engine produce more power if it's attached to an auto transmission, because of the "slush" nature of the hydraulic coupling versus the "hard" nature of the clutch coupling.
How's that?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #72
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is plenty obvious that what BMW advertised can't be the bit I'm referring to.
Perhaps you are the one in need of reading comprehension.

This:
"If it ends up with more, I am curious if $50 wouldn't get the tech to give me the AT flash, assuming it is possible."
and this:
"Is it possible they sandbagging the MT crowd to get the AT crowd more interested in the tune? If you have any success getting the AT tune for your car worked out please let me/us know."

My speculation: there's only one software version (only one product number supports that theory).
That same product makes the engine produce more power if it's attached to an auto transmission, because of the "slush" nature of the hydraulic coupling versus the "hard" nature of the clutch coupling.
How's that?
Still don't see the conspiracy theory. There are any number of ways that the same flash could behave differently, on different cars (assuming it is the same flash). To wonder whether the guy doing the flash has any control over it, and whether greasing his palm might get a different result, is no conspiracy theory. It's how I get special treatment in all kinds of scenarios. I know, you probably thought it was just because I am so pretty.
      09-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #73
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still don't see the conspiracy theory. There are any number of ways that the same flash could behave differently, on different cars (assuming it is the same flash). To wonder whether the guy doing the flash has any control over it, and whether greasing his palm might get a different result, is no conspiracy theory. It's how I get special treatment in all kinds of scenarios. I know, you probably thought it was just because I am so pretty.
If there's only one version of the software, greasing his hand only means you're losing 50 bucks, because he will give you the same product he gives anyone else, without special treatment.
Therefore, by logic (oh, wait, maybe that's the problem... I used logic), your statement implies that there are 2 versions of the software, and you need to grease him to apply that other more powerful version.
Go ahead, he will give you special treatment, extra KY-Jelly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #74
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and this:
Why wouldn't BMW give you (or even sell you) the stage 3 for $50 more. Why are they forcing you to bribe some technician if it was technically possible?
In my experiences (which, granted, is only limited to the power generation business), it is not uncommon to hold some things back and market what you think will sell and not more. With the tune, maybe they don't want to outperform another one of their more expensive cars with this tune, maybe they don't want to eat too much into the conservatism/safety factors they built the car to...I really don't and can't know.

Quote:
How's that?
That's a much more useful comment I think you're right that there's probably only 1 PPK tune (as opposed to an A version for AT and B for MT), but I would love to find out for sure if the performance gains are different because of hardware or software.

If there is a way to check software versions, maybe we can have someone with the tune and AT supply their version and compare it to someone with the tune and MT (I'll volunteer myself for the MT version if someone can tell me how to get the version).
      09-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #75
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

You're a better man/woman than I, Wings.
      09-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #76
Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're a better man/woman than I, Wings.
Well you're apparently prettier...so I guess we all win
      09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #77
DanoG80Cx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3Cx  [10.00]
I'm trying to decide if I want to get this once I take delivery in November while it's cheap or drive to car for a while and get it later down the road. Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #78
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Damn, thats a very good deal installed for that version. What did you hafta do to get that low of a price?

Just haggle a little with them. I've bought three cars from them and have my cars serviced there, so they sometimes do give me a deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #79
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
How long does it take to get the version II installed? I dropped my car off yesterday morning and the SA called me at the end of day to let me know that they would need to keep the car over the weekend to do the S/W reprogramming on Monday... All of the hardware changes were made yesterday, but it was too late to start messing around with the S/W...

Can't wait to drive the car with the tune. I have a very strong feeling that it will be faster than my '04 M3...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #80
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I went in to the dealership today to inquire about the PPK software upgrade and the parts guy tells me that all the software upgrade for N55 has been halted and will not be sold until the end of this month because there are errors in the program. This is here in Toronto/Canada. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about, but it will not be available until a revised version comes out. The N54ers are fine.

Last edited by sardius; 10-09-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #81
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardius View Post
I went in to the dealership today to inquire about the PPK software upgrade and the parts guy tells me that all the software upgrade for N55 has been hauted and will not be sold until the end of this month because there are errors in the program. This is here in Toronto/Canada. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about, but it will not be available until a revised version comes out. The N54ers are fine.
wow.
Could this be specific to Canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #82
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Still, no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
How long does it take to get the version II installed? I dropped my car off yesterday morning and the SA called me at the end of day to let me know that they would need to keep the car over the weekend to do the S/W reprogramming on Monday... All of the hardware changes were made yesterday, but it was too late to start messing around with the S/W...

Can't wait to drive the car with the tune. I have a very strong feeling that it will be faster than my '04 M3...

Another day without the car. Just got a call from the SA who told me that they are having problems loading the new performance S/W in my car. Will have to keep it another night and try again in the morning... They better throw in an extra 10 HP for all the hassle...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #83
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Anyone know how many hours the dealers should charge for the install of either the stage 1 or stage 2 kits? Trying to get a quote for an install on both and want to make sure I have the hours right. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #84
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Has anybody else gotten the pushback from the dealer that if the car has a 3/09 or earlier build date that BMW reccomends also replacing the spark plugs with the PPK?
Just trying to figure out if this is legit, or if the dealer is trying to score a few more $'s off me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #85
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Anyone know how many hours the dealers should charge for the install of either the stage 1 or stage 2 kits? Trying to get a quote for an install on both and want to make sure I have the hours right. Thanks.
My dealer charged two hours labor for a stage one. Seemed high to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #86
Fartlek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

I only paid $643 for the Stage I installed. The dealer said the $599 included the labor. Not sure he was right or not but I liked the price and I like the upgrade even more.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #87
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardius View Post
I went in to the dealership today to inquire about the PPK software upgrade and the parts guy tells me that all the software upgrade for N55 has been halted and will not be sold until the end of this month because there are errors in the program. This is here in Toronto/Canada. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about, but it will not be available until a revised version comes out. The N54ers are fine.
what's the story on this?
Anyone else can confirm?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #88
sardius
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
wow.
Could this be specific to Canada?
I failed to ask the parts guy if this was only valid in Canada. I was in a bit of rush and there was this hot chick next to me me distracting my mind. So I apologize for that. The parts guy didn't give me the specifics on the revised version for N55 software. I am very curious about this too. I will call few other dealerships here and find out what's going on...in the meantime I would love to hear from other N55ers if they know/have/heard of the latest revised PPK. I believe that the PPK S/W is the same for both US and Canada?