BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Talking Videos: Homestead-Miami Speedway with Chin Motorsports - Feb 10th 2013

Here are the videos from my most recent event on 2/10/2013 with Chin Motorsports. My first ever event with Chin, had an instructor in the car for the first session (check out ride) and third session on my request. I missed the second session of the day, taking care of some issues unrelated.

Homestead-Miami Speedway track map for reference.

Videos

Session 1 - Morning

Session 3 - Afternnon --> This was also the last dry session of the day.

Session 5 - Open Track

And here are some pics (thanks to Neil) for passing by taking pictures and being my passenger on the 4th session.

Following a 1M -- FAST!

Running away from some Porches

Keep running

Last edited by yandy; 02-12-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Yandy you're doing much better! how did it feel going past that infamous turn? you got an instructor? you were looking much sharper in these videos! you have redeemed your self my friend. now just keep pushing harder and harder. nothing feels better than just letting go and just feeling it. let the force be with you
      02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Yandy you're doing much better! how did it feel going past that infamous turn? you got an instructor? you were looking much sharper in these videos! you have redeemed your self my friend. now just keep pushing harder and harder. nothing feels better than just letting go and just feeling it. let the force be with you
I was just happy to go past it the first few times, and seeing that it was "a complete fuck up" last time around. I got an instructor the first session because I've never done an event with Chin, was kinda of like a check out ride. Then I just asked him to go back in with me for my 2nd session (3rd of the day).

I was trying to brake any personal bests, really feeling out the track again, specially "that turn" lol. I'll be back there 3/23-24 with NASA, and expect to maybe have 275/35/18 RS-3s on Apex wheels by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Off throttle through turn 1. Ballsy. You should find the car feels more stable if you go through there at full throttle (when you're going fast enough). And if that is too fast, do your speed adjustment early and then go back to power for the turn in or as you turn in depending on which works better.
Honestly I have never felt any sort of instability in turn 1, dry or wet, not as bad as it looks. But will try out your advice next time. The one turn that is infamous, and needs a bit of throttle through is turn 10 (turn after the back straight), big gap between Banking and infield again, specially if taken past the rumble strips.

Take the inside line through the rumble strips is not that bad, but take it two feet wide and it's unsettling. That turn is known for sending a few cars to the totalled yard. Mostly because people try to correct instead of driving out "right" where there's plenty of space.

I will def try the same on turn 1 next time, thanks for chiming in.
      02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I'm jealous of all that horsepower! Even at 3/4 throttle I think you'd pull me on the straight. Very smooth my friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
I'm jealous of all that horsepower! Even at 3/4 throttle I think you'd pull me on the straight. Very smooth my friend.
Thank you sir, don't be fooled though, the low angle on the camera makes it look faster.. it's an illusion .
      02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Thank you sir, don't be fooled though, the low angle on the camera makes it look faster.. it's an illusion .
No illusion watching that speedo rise like a scalded cat!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
No illusion watching that speedo rise like a scalded cat!
Funny, I was only running a stg2 Agg, not even a stg2+. Runnign stg2 to keep the CEL (cat related) from popping up, but was mainly trying to focus on getting comfortable with the track again.
      02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thumbs up

Yandy, thanks for sharing these cool videos!
A few random thoughts:
  • Great to see you back on track!
  • Awesome video! And I'm not just saying that because you're using my DashWare gauges . Cool that you got the fuel + temp to work, too. What are you using for data acquisition now?
  • Your car is f'n fast! As others have commented, seeing your speedo rocket off like that is crazy.
  • You are one incredibly smooth driver! I've noticed that in all your videos.
  • Pretty good looking line. I don't know that track, but it seems like you could turn in later on some of these and use a bit more track. Looks like your instructor also noted that at one point.

Finally, a minor criticism/suggestion:
As I mentioned above, you're hands down the smoothest driver I've seen in a long time. While this is a fantastic trait and makes you by far a much better driver than me, it also still worries me a little.

I've not watched all your videos yet, but I've watched a whole lot of them and it seems like you never get out of shape. At no point are you making any quick steering corrections or adjustments. Again, this is the sign of a very good, very smooth driver. But it worries me because in your accident video, I saw no sign of correction and reflexes either.

I think you said you do autocross, right? Can you make a cool video like these of you autocrossing? Or if you haven't in a while, can you take your car back to an autocross and post a video?
At autocross speed and with a tight course, hopefully we'll see you "out of shape" more and get a better feel for your reflexes.

Please don't take this as a big criticism or me lecturing you. As I said, you're very likely a much better driver than I ever will be. I'm just still confused by your crash video from month ago and would like to see you practice your reflexes at speeds <100mph
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Yandy, thanks for sharing these cool videos!
A few random thoughts:
  • Great to see you back on track!
  • Awesome video! And I'm not just saying that because you're using my DashWare gauges . Cool that you got the fuel + temp to work, too. What are you using for data acquisition now?
  • Your car is f'n fast! As others have commented, seeing your speedo rocket off like that is crazy.
  • You are one incredibly smooth driver! I've noticed that in all your videos.
  • Pretty good looking line. I don't know that track, but it seems like you could turn in later on some of these and use a bit more track. Looks like your instructor also noted that at one point.

Finally, a minor criticism/suggestion:
As I mentioned above, you're hands down the smoothest driver I've seen in a long time. While this is a fantastic trait and makes you by far a much better driver than me, it also still worries me a little.

I've not watched all your videos yet, but I've watched a whole lot of them and it seems like you never get out of shape. At no point are you making any quick steering corrections or adjustments. Again, this is the sign of a very good, very smooth driver. But it worries me because in your accident video, I saw no sign of correction and reflexes either.

I think you said you do autocross, right? Can you make a cool video like these of you autocrossing? Or if you haven't in a while, can you take your car back to an autocross and post a video?
At autocross speed and with a tight course, hopefully we'll see you "out of shape" more and get a better feel for your reflexes.

Please don't take this as a big criticism or me lecturing you. As I said, you're very likely a much better driver than I ever will be. I'm just still confused by your crash video from month ago and would like to see you practice your reflexes at speeds <100mph
Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the gauges , by all means bring all you can. Like I mentioned before, it's the reason I post the videos here, to view analyze and criticize.

I'm using the AIM Solo-DL with CANbus now for data logging.

That specific turn (#3) you speak of, where yes the instructor did note it once. I have had 4 different instructors tell me different things. I find it faster through going inside, and setting up for the next turn. My car rotates fairly well, and I can setup easier going inside. I tried both versions that day just for sakes, and inside and early is faster through the next two turns (#4 and #5) into the straight. I can do this by using throttle to rotate the car, but maybe I'm doing the late turn in wrong?

It's been a while since I autocross, but was thinking of doing a couple before they close down for the summer (too hot). Last day is in may when they close down (most of them close by). I don't have video of when I used to, but if/when I go back, will try to capture the same and put them up.

Thanks again for the critique and feedback, always welcomed.

Homestead-Miami Speedway track map for reference.
      02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What brake rotors/pads are you using these days?
Looks like your car stops well, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
What brake rotors/pads are you using these days?
Looks like your car stops well, too.
First time using the ECS 2-Piece rotors front with Carbotech RP2 pads. The rear are just performance slotted/cross drilled rotors with XP12 pads, run those daily, doesn't seem I'll be replacing rear pads any time soon. With LSD and everything off, rear brakes don't do anything it seems.

I switched to the RP2 pads to see if they last longer than the other Carbotechs. If not, I may switch to Pagid RS29 afterwards.
      02-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
RAM1320
Rep
Drives: AW 1M & Z4 M coupe

Nice videos. I was driving the 1M in the blue group.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm guessing you're the 1M in front of me in the first picture above? I was blue group as well, and you were moving. You get your work done at Miami Performance right?

Hope to see you out there again soon.
      02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
RAM1320
Rep
Drives: AW 1M & Z4 M coupe

Yes that was me. I am not sure what event I will be at next. Where do you get your work done?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Looking good out there! Hoping to make it down to HMS before it gets warm. You and I can battle it out for smoothest driver! Haha
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1320 View Post
Yes that was me. I am not sure what event I will be at next. Where do you get your work done?
most of the work I've done myself, like suspension (coils), down pipes, intercooler and so on.

The other, like sub-frame bushings and LSD I've had it done at PAW Motorsports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Looking good out there! Hoping to make it down to HMS before it gets warm. You and I can battle it out for smoothest driver! Haha
awesome! come on out