BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Question for the QLD drivers...

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question. I've never modded any car before and would like to know which mods are illegal in Qld. My 2 biggest concerns are keeping it roadworthy and most importantly my insurance.
I had a look on the Dept of Transport Qld site and there is no mention of some of the mods i'm interested in.

I'm interested in:
Flash tune / JB3
Intake
Exhaust

For eg. I called up BMW dealership and asked if I imported the BMW performance exhaust from USA and fitted it to my 135i will my car still be covered under warranty? He could not give me a definitive answer about warranty but he said my car would no longer be road worthy as it did not meet Australian standards.

I know alot of these mods will say bye to my warranty and that is not my concern. My main concern is keeping my car roadworthy and keeping my insurance in the event of an accident. The last thing I want is a reason for insurance company to find a defect or illegal mod to knock back my claim. For instance I know blow off valves are illegal but I dont know how this affects insurance.

Anyone from QLD with some input is greatly appreciated as I know the rules are different in each state.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
You've clearly got 3 issues to consider: 1) warranty, 2) "roadworthiness" and 3) insurance.

1) can be answered by your dealer, that's fairly straightforward
3) all you need to do is call your insurance company, tell them what you plan to do (ideally before you do it) and they'll either continue your cover, increase your premium, or tell you they wont cover you if you mod.

2) is the tricky part. Generally, if what you're doing is replacing an existing part and you're not "adding" or taking away something that isn't standard, then you're generally going to be ok subject to noise and safety reg's (eg. ride height etc). You can actually call QT and discuss it with them, although I didn't find them too helpful when I did this (guy thought I was bolting on a turbo to a NA car, not replacing the existing one). A flash tune is undetectable by a roadside inspection so no problem there really.

All care and no responsibility taken
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

In most insurace cases... if it ain't roadworthy, it ain't going to cover you.

Check with insurace and right them in details - like in your insurance schedule.

Tune, intake and exhaust are generally ok. Only that there is state rules on the car noises.

EPA will be ok since you are not replacing cat... unless you change to catless pipe like some -------- ^^
      06-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks very much for the info mattyv and takahashi. I will be in contact with my insurance company shortly, hopefully all goes well
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
I have the Performance exhaust on my car and informed the insurance company about it but since it is the only modification there was no change to my premium. I also asked, if I had an accident and it was damaged whether it would be replaced with oem or the performance, they said they would replace it with the performance or pay me the money upon sighting a quote.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I just spoke with my insurance company and they informed me that it is not necessary to disclose any modifications done to the vehicle unless I would like to insure those mods because it increases the value of the car. They said in the event of an accident they would replace the parts with those aftermarket parts that have been fitted to the car and restore it to original condition.

They also said that they would knock back a claim if the car had illegal modifications or parts fitted. They said it is my responsibility to check with the Dept of Transport what is illegal and what isn't as they do not have that information. I asked specifically about the BMW Performance Exhaust and I mentioned that it did not meet Australian Standards and they said that if I had it fitted they could use it as an excuse to knock back my claim even though it's a BMW part, but I'm presuming it's only if they know this information.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I just spoke with my insurance company and they informed me that it is not necessary to disclose any modifications done to the vehicle unless I would like to insure those mods because it increases the value of the car. They said in the event of an accident they would replace the parts with those aftermarket parts that have been fitted to the car and restore it to original condition.

They also said that they would knock back a claim if the car had illegal modifications or parts fitted. They said it is my responsibility to check with the Dept of Transport what is illegal and what isn't as they do not have that information. I asked specifically about the BMW Performance Exhaust and I mentioned that it did not meet Australian Standards and they said that if I had it fitted they could use it as an excuse to knock back my claim even though it's a BMW part, but I'm presuming it's only if they know this information.
You will still want to be careful and at least get it in writing from them.

When I insured my car I had my insurance broker arrange it, but I informed him of the modifications and had them noted on the policy. I'm not so concerned about the cost of the mods, more that should I total the car (or have a very bad accident) that the insurance company has no reason to deny coverage.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

My advice: Check with Shannons. They have a modification class and most people's highly modified car are insured by them.

You are free to change your insurer. Go with the one cheapest and easiest to claim.
      07-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I just spoke to Queensland Department of Transport today. They transferred me to to the modifications section and gave me their direct number: 07 3253 4851 for those that are interested.

Anyways, the bloke on the phone sounded about 15 and seemed really vague about what was legal/illegal. He said the exhaust was fine so long as it did not exceed 90db or in the case of the 135i, no more than 5db over factory. As for the intake, he mentioned that so long as it did not change the air flow meters and it met the factory emissions standards. As far as blow of valves go it is illegal to vent into the atmosphere or for it to make a whistle noise. He ended up saying these modifications are fairly minor and I shouldn't really worry about it. The only way my car can be deemed illegal is if a police officer defects the car because of the mods. He said it's up to me to prove that the modifications are legal by proving that they meet the emission standards as they have no means of testing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I thought the Performance Exhaust is back on the BMW Aust website now. So, I would assume it would meet the standards?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I thought the Performance Exhaust is back on the BMW Aust website now. So, I would assume it would meet the standards?
Brisbane BMW told me they don't sell it in Oz as it does not meet the ADR, even though it's on their australian website.
Appreciate 0