BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Exclamation Heed the warning!

Ok. So last night my girl locked the keys in the boot. The f**king boot. While we were at hers in the Shire. With my spare keys being at home on the very Northern Beaches!

Called BMW Assist (after Breville kindly gave me the number - thanks Duncan!). Said the car would have to be towed Monday morning to Sylvania BMW to get it opened (as i couldn't get anyone to find the keys at home). They said there's a $150 coverage for things like taxis etc. And because the car was in park with the handbrake on, they'd have to oil the driveway so they didn't do any damage to the transmission.. eeek!

So slept the night at the woman's, with a Rav 4 parked in the driveway as Christine was blocking it. Sh*t.

Mate turned up this morning, picked me up and we went to paintball in Camden. Dropped me off home this afternoon and i FOUND the keys after about 5 minutes of looking.

So, jumped into the ol' Subaru and drove back down to the Shire. Got Christine open and there were the keys. So, 2 sets of keys in order now

Drove Christine home tonight, with the Subaru at the girl's place. Which means i have to get a train/taxi after work ($150 should cover a taxi) during the week to go to the Shire and pick the damn thing up. But jeeze, i know why i paid for my BMW - and far out i love it even more now after having to drive the 4 cylinder shit-kicker.

Lesson: Always know where your spares are and make sure somebody can get to them! BMW said if someone can get them, they would book a taxi to drop them off to me... But unluckily, i had nobody to find them! So, heed the warning sticker on your windscreen!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Ahh that sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. I tried closing the boot with my key in boot once and it wouldn't shut so I kept slamming it over and over again before I realised the key was still in there!! Lucky I have comfort access otherwise I would have been in the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

You could always unlock all the doors rather than use the boot release button in order to prevent this situation from occurring.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
I was almost expecting a moment like this:

Quote:
Two blondes were in a parking lot trying to unlock the door of their Mercedes with a coat hanger. They tried and tried to get the door open, but they couldn't. The girl with the coat hanger stopped for a moment to catch her breath, and her friend said anxiously, "Hurry up! It's starting to rain, and the top is down."
Glad you got it sorted out, my girl has my spare keys, both to the car and to the apartment (she's saved my ass once already)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

ummm doesn't BMW assist unlock doors remotely?

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
ummm doesn't BMW assist unlock doors remotely?
no
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
I did something similar on friday night. Locked my keys in the car with the engine on lol.

Almost impossible to do, but i found a way

fortunately spare key was only 10 mins away and i managed to get someon to get them for me.

On a side note, NEVER, EVER disconnect the wiring loom from the passenger or drivers seat. I am not even going to try to explain that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Drove Christine home tonight, with the Subaru at the girl's place. Which means i have to get a train/taxi after work ($150 should cover a taxi) during the week to go to the Shire and pick the damn thing up. But jeeze, i know why i paid for my BMW - and far out i love it even more now after having to drive the 4 cylinder shit-kicker.
You could always leave the suburu for her to learn to drive on
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
no
that sucks maybe its just a US thing, but i figured BMW assist would be standard no matter where.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...gryGAh2k5KxQ==

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ive locked my keys in the trunk of my vert and BMW remotly unlocked the trunk after about 5 minutes of proving my identity.

BMW Assist down under doesnt do this?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ive locked my keys in the trunk of my vert and BMW remotly unlocked the trunk after about 5 minutes of proving my identity.

BMW Assist down under doesnt do this?
Unfortunately not. They gave me two options:

1. Get the car towed to the nearest dealer on Monday morning,
2. Smash the rear quarter window and access the car that way.

Either option wasn't going to work for me. Lucky i found the keys!!

EDIT: This is what we get in Aus: http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/owners/...mw_assistance/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
whiteknight120
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 120d

Open your car via mobile phone

Quote:
Ok. So last night my girl locked the keys in the boot. The f**king boot. While we were at hers in the Shire. With my spare keys being at home on the very Northern Beaches!

Called BMW Assist (after Breville kindly gave me the number - thanks Duncan!). Said the car would have to be towed Monday morning to Sylvania BMW to get it opened (as i couldn't get anyone to find the keys at home). They said there's a $150 coverage for things like taxis etc. And because the car was in park with the handbrake on, they'd have to oil the driveway so they didn't do any damage to the transmission.. eeek!

So slept the night at the woman's, with a Rav 4 parked in the driveway as Christine was blocking it. Sh*t.

Mate turned up this morning, picked me up and we went to paintball in Camden. Dropped me off home this afternoon and i FOUND the keys after about 5 minutes of looking.

So, jumped into the ol' Subaru and drove back down to the Shire. Got Christine open and there were the keys. So, 2 sets of keys in order now

Lesson: Always know where your spares are and make sure somebody can get to them! BMW said if someone can get them, they would book a taxi to drop them off to me... But unluckily, i had nobody to find them! So, heed the warning sticker on your windscreen!!!!!!!!!!!
Received the as email today can't vouch for it as yet

FOUR THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number world-wide for Mobile is 112.
If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND? Emergency

Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call somebody at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

THIRD Emergency

Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH Emergency

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset.

Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.??If? your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

ATM- PIN Number Reversal - Good to Know
If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse. For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location. This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

If nothing else, the 112 emergency number is worth knowing!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight120 View Post

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

FIRST Emergency

If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND? Emergency

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call somebody at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

THIRD Emergency

Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH Emergency

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset.

Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.??If? your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse. For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location. This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Man are these for real?? Doesn't sound right. Wish they were true!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight120 View Post

FIRST Emergency

SECOND? Emergency

THIRD Emergency

Hidden Battery Power

FOURTH Emergency

Wow amazing stuff. Wonder how much of it is true. I really doubt the one about unlocking your car through your mobile phone. The frequency of the key fob would be very different to your mobiles, I don't see how the signal of your fob could transmit through you mobile. Sounds like BS to me....

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Man are these for real?? Doesn't sound right. Wish they were true!!
#1: True, gains emergency access anywhere in the world to the national emergency number. 112 will redirect to 000 In Australia..

#2: On Sunday, tried the over-the-mobile trick - didn't work...

#3: apparently a crock of shit: From Hoax-slayer.com This "tip" is totally bogus. You cannot activate hidden or reserve battery power by keying in *3370# or any other code sequence. The code '*3370#' can be used on some Nokia models to activate Enhanced Full Rate Codec (EFR). Ironically, since this code activates the best sound quality on the phone, the change will actually reduce the length of time that the battery will last before recharging is required – in practical terms the complete opposite of what the tip suggests.

#5: False: http://www.bankers.asn.au/default.aspx?ArticleID=1109
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Get a nice lanyard and tie them around your neck when you are out and about. I have learned when somewhat far from home, to bring two sets, or clip or tie them to something.

Goodness!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Get a nice lanyard and tie them around your neck when you are out and about. I have learned when far from home, bring two sets, or clip or tie them to something.

Goodness!
Yeah, on my longer trips now they'll be clipped onto a lanyard. Jesus, caused so much heartache!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

I've done exactly the same thing. And yes I was given 2 options: tow the car to the dealer or have my window smashed. Actually the dealer said to me that they would probably have to smash the window once the car got to them anyway

My spare keys were at home about 150kms away. BMW booked and paid for an Avis car and I drove 300 kms return to get the keys. Great service

Lesson learnt. I NEVER use the boot unlock button to open the boot when I want to put stuff in. It is too easy to put the keys down in the boot with your stuff and slam it shut. I now ALWAYS use the door unlock button so that the doors are unlocked and I can open the boot from inside the car if I close the keys in the boot.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #19
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

I have comfort access and several times I have tried to close the boot and it kept popping open again....The key was in the boot and the car wouldn't lock. What a relief because the spare key was a plane ride away.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post

Lesson learnt. I NEVER use the boot unlock button to open the boot when I want to put stuff in. It is too easy to put the keys down in the boot with your stuff and slam it shut. I now ALWAYS use the door unlock button so that the doors are unlocked and I can open the boot from inside the car if I close the keys in the boot.
Problem solved! I shall do that from now on - great tip!! Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Exactly. This is much easier to do then carrying two keys on you all the time. It's just an extra press of the roundel when you're done.

EDIT: By the way you won't have to open the boot from the inside since it will be unlocked anyway

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Exactly. This is much easier to do then carrying two keys on you all the time. It's just an extra press of the roundel when you're done.

EDIT: By the way you won't have to open the boot from the inside since it will be unlocked anyway
Oh yes you're right.... of course.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0