BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Advan - M3 Sub Frame Bushings & Rear Arms

A very long 30+ degrees day, but success in the end.

Before & After shots.
Peter pointed all four bushings towards the center for maximum rigidity. The coat hanger RSB remained.
Result is Night & day compared to stock, I'm still on stock suspension and won't be touching anything else, I also have the E92 FSB, perfect daily setup IMO.
Attached Images

09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Walnut
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Great stuff! What are the 'night and day' differences? What sort of cost is involved? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

^^ This car is almost brand new, I don't understand why BMW chose to put chewing gum for the rear bushings
I noticed this error in the rear suspension when I took the dealer's 135i for a test drive, I mentioned the car has a problem with the rear and he just looked at me expressionless.

The car now drives like it should have from Leipzig, the rear doesn't wobble/stretch like it did, just pissed that I had to correct BMW's new suspension at my own expense.
      09-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I also had Advan install the M3 bushings into the rear subframe of my 135i a few months ago. Funnily the pics of the rear subframe look almost exactly the same as mine! Anyway, it makes a very big difference to the handling. As a result the car feels a lot safer, more predictable and stable in hard cornering. The car seems to track a lot more precisely than it did before. It needs less steering corrections in pretty much all situations - which is even noticeable in normal suburban driving.

The problem now is that my 325i still has the stock subframe bushings, which has become a lot more noticeable now I've driven with the M3 bushings in the 135i. Anyway that's going to be fixed soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Do I still need an LSD if I had the M3 bushings installed to stop my car going sideways in third gear under hard acceleration?

In other words, would this improve acceleration, traction and stability to the extent that I won't need an LSD?

My aim is to improve my quarter mile time, eg crack 11s!
      09-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

As to whether you need an LSD for your application, I couldn't say.. But I couldn't imaging doing any performance mods without first replacing the rear chewing gum bushings in any case.
      10-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

325i vs 135i subframe bushing upgrade

Last week I had the E90 3 series at Advan for a M3 subframe bushing upgrade and a log book service too. I thought I would take the chance to report the outcome.

2009 325i with stock M-sport suspension now has the following mods:
* Non-RFT tires. 235/45/17 Goodyear F1 all around.
* Drilled out front alignment pin for extra 0.5 degree negative camber.
* BMW performance front sway bar - I guess about 30% stiffer than stock.
* M3 rear subframe bushes.

Adding the front sway bar and rear M3 subframe bushes has made the car noticeably firmer than before and it now feels a lot more precise. When taking twisties on the open road the steering has a more solid and grippy feel on the road. The car has better steering overall, but will understeer when pushed, particularly as the body leans in turns. That aspect is different from before where the front of the car previously felt quite vague while the rear would wander around in the corners.

Now I had two cars modified with subframe bushes, I found a few consistent outcomes.
1) It makes a big difference to the steering precision. The car tracks a lot straighter in normal driving which is a great outcome in itself.
2) The car feels less nervous in corners. It doesn't wriggle around the corners in normal driving which applies to both 1 series and 3 series cars. In hard turns, the previously loose and unpredictable feeling that I hated in the 135i is completely gone. If no other suspension mods are made, the subframe bushing upgrade seems to result in a net understeer effect. The good news is the car is so much more predictable that it gives freedom to sharpen the handling in other areas. I think the understeer effect is less when firmer springs or sway bars are used.
3) Steering feel is improved. It may seem weird that the change of rear bushings affect the steering. However in both cars I found the steering feels more solid, more tactile and gives better road feel.

In the E90 I kept the stock pressed steel rear upper arms. That probably minimised the increase in vibration as the upper arms have soft rubber bushings. The rear suspension now feels firmer than before even though there was no change to springs or dampers. The stock dampers on the 2009 E90 are a bit firmer than what came stock on my 135i, so they are ok but not great. If I was focussed on sprited driving in the E90, I would probably change them to something firmer. Considering what I use the car for, the stock dampers will remain for the time being.

Last edited by John_01; 10-03-2013 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
Do I still need an LSD if I had the M3 bushings installed to stop my car going sideways in third gear under hard acceleration?

In other words, would this improve acceleration, traction and stability to the extent that I won't need an LSD?

Pssst Moe!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14...m-e82-e9x.aspx

10-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Hi TS135i

Can you PM me the total cost to change all the 4 rear sub-frame bushing to M3 ones as a guide.

I also hate the chewing gum feel in the rear.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Quote:

Pssst Moe!

Thanks Alex! So tempting!
      10-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Quote:

Pssst Moe!

Thanks Alex! So tempting!
I already gave into the temptation haha
      10-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
pity, wouldve been happy to combine shipping
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
dont worry his girlfriend will find out soon and he will be forced to offload these AND his M3 rear end. dibbs on the m3 rear end
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Pity indeed. I guess it was only $50. Next time maybe if I decide to do Delrin diff mounts haha

If you need something from ECS I'm putting in an order now. Getting E46 M3 trans bushings amongst other things.
      10-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
dont worry his girlfriend will find out soon and he will be forced to offload these AND his M3 rear end. dibbs on the m3 rear end
NO DAMMIT \@ last bit

Quote:
Pity indeed. I guess it was only $50. Next time maybe if I decide to do Delrin diff mounts haha

If you need something from ECS I'm putting in an order now. Getting E46 M3 trans bushings amongst other things.
i asked turner, they told me the Alu ones had no downsides vs the delrin, and the delrin are purely there for some race classes that can't have a 'solid' bushing... can't not believe them, when the delrin's are $150 more money for them haha

do the E46 trans bushings fit on the 1ers?

there's probably a ton i could use (some sweet schwaben tools) but .. can hold out for now haha
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #16
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz View Post
NO DAMMIT \@ last bit

Quote:

i asked turner, they told me the Alu ones had no downsides vs the delrin, and the delrin are purely there for some race classes that can't have a 'solid' bushing... can't not believe them, when the delrin's are $150 more money for them haha

do the E46 trans bushings fit on the 1ers?

there's probably a ton i could use (some sweet schwaben tools) but .. can hold out for now haha
Yeah they do. There's a DIY by wolfe somewhere. He tried UUC ones which are urethane and then the E46 M3 ones. I'm going the E46 M3 ones for less NVH but still greatly improved shifting feel. Only $15/mount.

As for Delrin, I think they are meant to be marginally less stiff than solid Aluminium. Not sure how much difference really though.
      10-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah they do. There's a DIY by wolfe somewhere. He tried UUC ones which are urethane and then the E46 M3 ones. I'm going the E46 M3 ones for less NVH but still greatly improved shifting feel. Only $15/mount.

As for Delrin, I think they are meant to be marginally less stiff than solid Aluminium. Not sure how much difference really though.
awesome, would love to hear impressions

i heard the UUC bushings are prone to split! well, read that recently anyway, which was disappointing

delrin appears to be.. 86 shore D, M 94 (120) rockwell - ... i assume we'd have to find out the actual alloy of the alum to compare, but it looks like alu is 90~ shore D?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
AP135
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 135i e88

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidz
Quote:
LOL! I wouldn't be so cruel! Sorry to dampen your hopes there skidz.

But we'll definitely be driving my car more often. Not looking forward to new feel of the car with the hard suspension settings, on top of the already really loud exhaust and constant grey smoke...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

i heard the UUC bushings are prone to split! well, read that recently anyway, which was disappointing

delrin appears to be.. 86 shore D, M 94 (120) rockwell - ... i assume we'd have to find out the actual alloy of the alum to compare, but it looks like alu is 90~ shore D?
The bushes are most likely 6061 grade (common Al grade used for automotive components)

As for the hardness differences something like the 6061 definately should have a higher rockwell rating & superior mechanical properties (bloody rockwell is the worst hardness test, but the yanks love it!!)

Would you guys be interested in some custom Al subframe bushes? These would be relatively easy to manufacture, and whilst i no longer program & machine, I know a few engineering co's who may do this for me as a 'favour' at mates rates (can I borrow your bushes for a few days Alex!?!? haha)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP135 View Post

But we'll definitely be driving my car more often. Not looking forward to new feel of the car with the hard suspension settings, on top of the already really loud exhaust and constant grey smoke...
Shit busted!!!

Glad my gal doesn't get online and check up on me, I would have a lot of explaining to do with all my 'mods' :P
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
skidz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1mers nuts :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP135 View Post

hang on what about the wedding/baby etc surely you can think of more important things than some silly m3 rear....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

@ above LOL - no hiding for me either from @bmwlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:

The bushes are most likely 6061 grade (common Al grade used for automotive components)

As for the hardness differences something like the 6061 definately should have a higher rockwell rating & superior mechanical properties (bloody rockwell is the worst hardness test, but the yanks love it!!)

Would you guys be interested in some custom Al subframe bushes? These would be relatively easy to manufacture, and whilst i no longer program & machine, I know a few engineering co's who may do this for me as a 'favour' at mates rates (can I borrow your bushes for a few days Alex!?!? haha)
How much approx would they be to get made up? When the bushings from turner are $300/set plus post?
Appreciate 0