BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Glad it worked out. I will still say that going to court always has to be the last answer since it is costly and slow. Unless you have a written agreement that the price includes the tax, I can't see how it could help to go to court.

The deal I negotiated for my 1 series included taxes, plate, and all fees. But I made sure that was clearly stated on the paperwork I signed (and they signed before they got my money). My dealer was in the same state as I am so it was easier. They still messed up the tag but fixed it once I brought it up.

On a more humorius note, the new car I bought before my 1 was a Hyundai for my daughter. I took her along so she would get exposed to the process. I had done my homework on-line and negotiated them low enough they cut the guy who did all the paperwork's fee. He was noticable pissed and rushed through all the paperwork. That made me want to cut his fee the next time. I don't need the explanation, I've done this a few times, and I don't like to waste time getting told what I already know.

Jim
      11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Glad it worked out. I will still say that going to court always has to be the last answer since it is costly and slow. Unless you have a written agreement that the price includes the tax, I can't see how it could help to go to court.

The deal I negotiated for my 1 series included taxes, plate, and all fees. But I made sure that was clearly stated on the paperwork I signed (and they signed before they got my money). My dealer was in the same state as I am so it was easier. They still messed up the tag but fixed it once I brought it up.
Court was far off in my mind, talking to my lawyer (family friend) didn't cost me anything and I knew I had the legality to request what I wanted. It was just overall a frustrating process having the vehicle for 6 weeks and it taking me calling them to find out that they still wanted more money before releasing the title--turned out to be a language barrier gap and resolving was easier than anticipated.

My previous car was a Hyundai Tiburon, learned a lot but it was just a stepping stone to a real car
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

FELT THE NEED TO UPDATE THIS; I know its an old thread but things got way out of hand here.

After telling me I would be mailed a check and everything would be my responsiblility; I waited 15 days for the mail to arrive to get this straightened out. Nothing. I made a phone call to the dealer again asking what is going on, they said be patient its on its way. I waited 3 more days. I called again yesterday (keep in mind car was bought on 9/29/12) and the title clerk at the dealership told me that the bank had contacted them in requesting if "repo" action needed to be taken because they had not received the title work yet--DESPITE ME PAYING ABOVE MINIMUM PAYMENT AND BEFORE MONTHLY DATE SINCE PURCHASING THE VEHICLE.

I had already gone to the BMV (when I posted this thread originally) to find out what to do about taxes and they agreed with the Ohio title office that nothing could be done until the dealership released the title. I called dealership and they said nothing could be done until I paid taxes. I'm stuck in the middle of two non moving parties.

Today I spent all morning bouncing between motor vehicle offices. eventually I found a clerk that was kind enough to truly look into what was going on. Still saying she couldn't accept money for taxes without title/paperwork (all i had was bill of sale and state inspection) so she called the dealership 4 times and was put on hold until transferred to a voicemail each time. The manager of the title office then informed me that the dealership themselves are the ones that had requested that the title be sent back and that no bank had contacted them in this regard.

Upon hearing all of this the Ohio title office has said they are going to battle the dealership for me in obtaining the titlework. They said by law the dealership has to contact me all ways given before anything of this nature can take place, they had my cell phone, my house phone, my email, my address, and my co-signers cell phone. None had any messages relayed on voicemails and none was attempted to be contacted along with no formal letters being sent. I had to call to find everything out (which has been the process all along)

So at the end of this, which is not settled yet, I do not recommend anyone buy anything from Planet Auto Imports in Charolette, North Carolina. It may just be me having a terrible experience with them; but the fact that they are the ones that requested the title back from the Ohio office, knowing that I have been contacting them and trying to get this corrected, tells me that they are a shady dealership. The title clerk at the dealership was the one that told me last night what I had to do as far as titlework goes and today I found out her name was on the slip that requested the title back yesterday morning. This has been a stressful experience to say the least; I just want the car titled correctly and everything taken care of so I can start modding. This weight has been on my shoulders for months and the information I found out today just makes me sick
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
DwightSchrute
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Package

Long drama thread. Be happy you don't have to deal with the Sales Tax some of us Canadians have to deal with. Like 14.5% worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightSchrute View Post
Long drama thread. Be happy you don't have to deal with the Sales Tax some of us Canadians have to deal with. Like 14.5% worth.
i thought you lived in Scranton, PA?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MonsterNtheMaking View Post
i thought you lived in Scranton, PA?
Well played, sir.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0