BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

DCT update, car feels slower. *FIX, maybe*

So alot of DCT 135i owners are a little upset with BMW recently because of the new update that makes the cars feel as if they are not as powerful as they used to be.

(SIB 12 09 12 software update for stalling, idle and surging May 2013)

Although people have said that issues like stalling, rough idle, and lag after coming to a stop have been fixed. Alot of people including myself noticed that the throttle response isnt all there and we also lost alot of noise out of the stock exhaust.

BUT

Apperently theres an ever newer update that brings all this back. (SIB 12 15 14 August 2014)

I came across this thread and found it pretty interesting.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033690

Basically when it comes to all this update software stuff I dont know the most, and I am hoping that someone out there knows a bit more than me and can maybe clear some things up for me...

I had my car updated in late May and after that I felt the same thing everyone else felt. I dont really care about the pops out of the exhaust, although I wouldnt mind them. What I really want is if its possible to get some of that throttle response back. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys have a good 1!

P.S: My car is currently at the Dealer getting a new shifter installed, and the service guy who is also my friend told me that after its done its going to need to be totally updated so Im hoping that they throw on the new one without me even asking which allows for some stronger throttle response. But incase they dont for whatever reason, having as much info on it as I can would be awesome for when I go pick it up.

Last edited by Jettt; 09-24-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Mines being updated with the August 2014 version next week. We'll see how it goes.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Keep us posted! Thanks Overpar!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm one of the folks who had the stalling, rough idle, lag issue. I had my car in 9 times since April to have it fixed. Had a PUMA case opened...the whole 9 yards. Along the way BMW replaced the transmission, fuel pumps, wiring harness (head scratcher on that one) and a few other various things all to no avail of course.

Last week the BMW dealer called and said they have a new software fix and to bring in the car. I had it applied and picked up it last Wednesday (also had the VANOS bolts recall done) and I will tell you for me it has absolutely and completely fixed the issues. I wasn't optimistic other than it was a software update and that's what I suspected the issue was the whole time.

I have a KAT Matrix accelerometer and I tested the car afterwards and I get the same performance I had prior to April. Anecdotally, throttle response is what I expect it to be. For me the issue was only with the AC on, with it off my car performed as it should but with the AC on the idle and lag were terrible, to the point of I didn't drive it much cause it was so annoying. Now it works great.

I have the invoice and I'll upload it but it doesn't say what software version was installed only that the DME was updated per the SIB, doesn't specifically state what version or what SIB though. If you have the issue your SA should be able to look it up...

If you have the lag/idle issue with the AC on like then go get the update as fast as you can.

Edit: Just noticed the link to another post in the original post. I had the software update noted in post #49.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1033690&page=3

Last edited by saveferris; 09-25-2014 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: additional information
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferris View Post
I'm one of the folks who had the stalling, rough idle, lag issue. I had my car in 9 times since April to have it fixed. Had a PUMA case opened...the whole 9 yards. Along the way BMW replaced the transmission, fuel pumps, wiring harness (head scratcher on that one) and a few other various things all to no avail.

Edit: Just noticed the link to another post in the original post. I had the software update noted in post #49.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1033690&page=3
I think there's enough noise being generated by the 2011-2013 135 DCT community that it's getting some attention back at BMW. It's gone from "never heard of a problem" to "we updated your software" to "we have a fix if nothing else". I doubt BMW doesn't want to change out a lot of DCTs since they have to ship them over from Germany. Easier to try the software update.

Wiring harness? When I used to do field service on computer systems we called that "Shotgun Approach". I can see it as a maybe since the problem with the stutter and lag doesn't happen enough to troubleshoot since it doesn't post a code. The last update did fix a lot of the problems but they never were totally fix. I'm hoping next week the update gets the car running like it's supposed to.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Rock1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
Mines being updated with the August 2014 version next week. We'll see how it goes.
Dropped mine off for the update today. First attempt failed per the SA but said not to worry and will attempt tomorrow. Will update as soon as have something concrete for you all.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 MT E82

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Jettt or rock did you guys get your car back after the update?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space gray M options

Dropping car off tomorrow for Vanos bolts, talked with the SA about the update , he didnt have a clue nor did he ever hear of the lag issue etc... He said He will give it to the technician to decide? wtf? Now I know they cant know everything about every car software update but I just didnt get a good feeling they will do this. I'll update once completed. BTW , I take pics of my car right before any service so if they say "we didnt do that" I'll show then they did when I pick it up. They go over the loaner with a fine tooth comb when you take it and pick it up , so I do the same...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans135i View Post
Dropping car off tomorrow for Vanos bolts, talked with the SA about the update , he didnt have a clue nor did he ever hear of the lag issue etc... He said He will give it to the technician to decide? wtf? Now I know they cant know everything about every car software update but I just didnt get a good feeling they will do this. I'll update once completed. BTW , I take pics of my car right before any service so if they say "we didnt do that" I'll show then they did when I pick it up. They go over the loaner with a fine tooth comb when you take it and pick it up , so I do the same...
I'm seeing a trend here where people are hesitant with dropping their car off for service at the dealership for fear of damage done by their staff. I guess the dealership I use is the exception and not the norm. Every time I go there for service, I see them do a full check out of the car before taking it in. I have to walk with the staff person and go over every aspect of the car like I was about to rent a car. Any damage they see, the staff person notes on a piece of paper the type of damage (dent, scratch, etc) and the exact location on the car. I have to sign off on this piece of paper before being allowed to go in to the service building. This check in paper becomes part of the paperwork for the service visit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

That is the way is should be done! I waited 20 minutes after they took my car, past my appt. watching others getting taken care of , before I had to ask where he was.
Anyway they have to keep overnight , and I have a new 4 series as a loaner. They did put in the notes regarding the software update , I also asked them to jot down what the version was before hand. On the way there I saw a VO 1M for sale at another dealer , crap that looks awesome... anyone have 58k I can borrow? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz135 View Post
Jettt or rock did you guys get your car back after the update?
I got the car back. But he wasnt able to tell me what software was put on the car, although he did tell me its the most recent... lol

Its all too tiring to deal with right now.

I guess I can bring it to a dealer and ask them to tell me exactly which update i have and then i can figure out whether or not the car has been feeling different.

But as of now, still feels like the same old.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettt View Post
I got the car back. But he wasnt able to tell me what software was put on the car, although he did tell me its the most recent... lol

Its all too tiring to deal with right now.

I guess I can bring it to a dealer and ask them to tell me exactly which update i have and then i can figure out whether or not the car has been feeling different.

But as of now, still feels like the same old.

Getting the dealer to tell you what version you're up to is like a state secret.

Mine still feels better coming off a stop. No issues so far.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got my car back yesterday after Vanos recall. On the invoice it says the tech drove it and the idle fluctuated so that and the issues I mentioned they put in the new version software and noted the old ( i asked) . It does feel a bit better from stop on the gas pedal as far as lag. Performance still seems the same. They did charge me $50 (CPO) for it which I thought was BS. Anyway I'll update later once I drive some more.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
Overpar56
Rep

That is BS. $50 for a known problem.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Overpar56
Rep

I haven't noticed any issues so far. It's been a couple of months. Shifts are still fast but the initial jolt between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th aren't as abrupt. I doubt there is much difference pre and post update. I still can't put enough rubber on the ground to keep the traction control from kicking in.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

Maybe a solution for the 2011 135i M Sport N55/DCT

Ok, I've had about every issue with my convertible from throttle response, to just plan old turbo lag. It all started when the original 2011 software was replaced in my car. The dealer that I bought it from had no clue what I was complaining about, and I finally brought the car to a second dealer. There I found a sympathetic ear in the shop foreman.

I told him that I brought the car back to the selling dealer, within one hour of picking up the vehicle, after a software update that was install when I had the VANOS recall taken care of.

He promised me, there and then, if they could not repair my 135i back to what I considered the original performance parameters, he would have a BMW factory engineer brought in. Here is what happened so far.

They updated my car again to the latest software, and I think there was an update in late November. He told me to drive the car and let him know what I thought.

After a few days, and deciding that the performance was not what I remembered at all, I called and asked if he would be good as his word. BMW was called and an appointment was arranged for the factory engineer to perform diagnostics on my car.

The engineer came in his white coat, and a vehicle full of test gear. My car was plugged up, and wired for diagnostics, with the assistance of the shop foreman as well.

Okay guys, here it is. Basically, BMW issued multiple software updates for the 2011 135i, none of which my car had ever had installed. The issue appears to be that the communication between the N55 engine and the DCT transmission was seriously disrupted with literally each of the software updates, and the change in performance is considerable. This problem is finally recognized by BMW, but the needed software patch has not been completed, or at least has not been approved by the EPA, because of changes in emissions or what ever else the EPA may be concerned with in the car.

The engineer manually changed adaptations in the software for my car. The good news is the car returned to its original performance levels. The bad news, the computer will again modify the software, and overtime his programing will be overwritten by new adaptations, and the performance will again degrade.

Right now we are waiting for the completion of the new patch and the approval of the EPA for the software release. This will be the permanent fix for my 2011 vehicle. I would suspicion that this issue exists in each and every year the N55/DCT combination is found in the 135i. As of today, there is no permanent fix. It takes a factory engineer to make the software adaptations, and no dealer is capable of the temporary correction.

Because the EPA is involved, I could not get a firm answer on when the final patch software will be available. No dealer is aware of the actual issue as there is no service information bulletin describing what I have detailed here.

I will be immediately notified to return my vehicle for the new software, as soon as it is available.

Somehow or other, I also managed to have a PPK-1 kit installed at the same time the adaptations were manually added. The change in the performance is unbelievable. The factory tires, which I always hated, are totally inadaquate, and don't even begin to be able to get the power onto the road. I will have to upgrade the tires while I am waiting for the final solution.

I promise to report the SIB number when the new software comes available. This is such an incredible thing. Some people have indeed complained, but the vast majority of owners didn't have a clue about how their 135i had dramatically changed. Boy, are they in for a big surprise.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Subscribed just to see what happens with this new custom software update done by a factory tech as well as future releases. My car still has lost all burples and the fun it used to send to my ears
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #18
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
bump.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

My last software update was in 2011, when I got PPK installed. I haven't had any of the problems that some others have had. Won't be getting any updates soon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
      12-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
Overpar56
Rep

Having PPK1 seems to be critical. Maybe since I already had the last SIB installed after I had PPK1, I haven't noticed any performance issues. I've noticed since the switch over to winter formulated gas my pops and burbles are much more apparent. I recorded some exhaust sounds the other day after the engine was up to temp and compared to a couple months ago, I have the pops and burbles big time.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #21
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Same here... I have the pops and burbles just as I always did.... "big time."

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #22
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
My last software update was in 2011, when I got PPK installed. I haven't had any of the problems that some others have had. Won't be getting any updates soon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
PPK1 is what fixed my lag BUT they often do updates when the car is in for routine service and don't tell you. Mine went bad again and it took two years for a proper fix which in my case was a new DME and a PPK1 reinstall. Now, if the car goes in they have strict instructions, no updates without my sign-off.
Appreciate 0