BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #133
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Engineers just design what they are told.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #134
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
So now does everyone see why when i'm the ruler of the free world engineers will be rounded up and shot...and those who do manage to escape being rounded up because they were not hiding in their parents basement will be hunted down with helicopter gunships and killed for sport. The ones that will survive will understand that 1. A batter does not needed to be coded and 2 they should have installed a line of code that allows the nave system to automatically switch from day mode to night mode.
Hmm. Without engineers:
1. There would be no gun with which to shoot.
2. There would be no basement in which to hide in the first place.
3. No helicopter gunships, either.
4. No "batters" (sic).
5. No "nave" (sic) systems.
6. No automobiles in which to install "batters" and "naves".
7. No roads on which to drive in the first place.
8. No computers to host or access the internet forum in which one can complain about "batters" and "naves".
9. No code on which the computers run.
10. No internet.
11. No electricity

I could go on.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #135
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Yeah but we have all of that now and dimmer switches and $200 of labor to install a $200 battery.

So we kill of this batch of these odd little fellows and well the next batch will think twice before installing a dimmer switch or making it such that you need to spend $200 and a DAY to get a new battery for your car!

Now the question is once they are shot? Do we skin them...or just use them as food for my pet sharks with lazer beams.....everyone deserves a warm meal.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #136
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Yeah but we have all of that now and dimmer switches and $200 of labor to install a $200 battery.

So we kill of this batch of these odd little fellows and well the next batch will think twice before installing a dimmer switch or making it such that you need to spend $200 and a DAY to get a new battery for your car!

Now the question is once they are shot? Do we skin them...or just use them as food for my pet sharks with lazer beams.....everyone deserves a warm meal.
I'd prefer to be fed to the sharks. Circle of life, and all that, but that's just the engineer in me speaking and sharks with "lazer" (sic) beams are just cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #137
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Hmm. Without engineers:
1. There would be no gun with which to shoot.
2. There would be no basement in which to hide in the first place.
3. No helicopter gunships, either.
4. No "batters" (sic).
5. No "nave" (sic) systems.
6. No automobiles in which to install "batters" and "naves".
7. No roads on which to drive in the first place.
8. No computers to host or access the internet forum in which one can complain about "batters" and "naves".
9. No code on which the computers run.
10. No internet.
11. No electricity

I could go on.
Without engineers:

1) No overpriced products because they thought everyone should have it.
2) Spending millions of dollars on something that no one wants
3) Spending millions of dollars for a design that doesn't work
4) Spending millions of dollars to fix said design
5) Tell the person who works with the piece of machinery EVERYDAY, HANDS ON that it was designed to work so it WILL work
6) Make a procedure from A to D but leave out B and C because you should know B and C
7) Common sense will be used

And I'm just starting.....there are good/bad engineers out there and I've worked/talked with both. The good ones are the ones that agree the design was "not right" and should have never made it past the drawing board. The bad ones are the ones that try and try to fix the problem then say "Well, it was made to work that way so you'll just have to figure out how to get it to work". Then continue to smurf up things because they can and never work hands on, other than the prototype that they have in the office.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #138
amsnow440
Olmec's Temple Guard
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT, 05 Legacy GT

Quote:
So now does everyone see why when i'm the ruler of the free world engineers will be rounded up and shot...and those who do manage to escape being rounded up because they were not hiding in their parents basement will be hunted down with helicopter gunships and killed for sport. The ones that will survive will understand that 1. A batter does not needed to be coded and 2 they should have installed a line of code that allows the nave system to automatically switch from day mode to night mode.

Thank you this was a message from your beloved ruler of your free world.

But really….OMG…a LIPO battery for a road car….yeah ok…..the world dumb has been underutilized in modern history but the guy who thought that was a good idea is a fucktard. And the guy who buys a LiPo for his car is even dumber.

“Yeah dude because I track my car like once a year and like I can feel that 50lbs weight savings man…and my tires…filled with hydrogen gas…no idea how that blow out became a blow up but it was so cooooooollllll….have you seen my carbon fiber key chain?”

An no the dumb ass who buys the carbon fiber key chain will not be hunted nor killed off….we need guys like him to keep the price of carbon fiber low so that we can continue to enjoy F1…which when I’m rule of the free world will be limited by one thing….the cars must be manual transmission, no TC and there will be points awarded for style!
How will there be F1 if all the engineers are dead?
      12-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #139
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Actually I re-read what was mentioned.....first off electricity. If you want to say Benjamin Franklin was the inventor of electricity (he's given credit for it) then he was never a engineer. He was a polymath (I believe) but in that, a engineer is not listed. With him being a scientist (even though that is a factor for a engineer, I know) is the reason, a scientist.

A basement? Come on, it doesn't take a engineer to do that. Roads to drive on? Oookkkk....find out who were the first people to have roads and tell me if they were "engineers".

People complain more about mechanical engineers rather than electrical or computer or structure or whatever else.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #140
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Without engineers:

5) Tell the person who works with the piece of machinery EVERYDAY, HANDS ON that it was designed to work so it WILL work
6) Make a procedure from A to D but leave out B and C because you should know B and C
1 through 4 are largely, though not always, the result of marketing weenies. Case in point: the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

5, I've never designed anything I couldn't build myself, and have been on the floor countless times proving that if they had just FOLLOWED THE PRINT they could have built it, too. And, if I did mess up, I'll be the first to admit it as would 95% of the engineers I know. The other 5% just shouldn't be engineers.

6. Mea culpa for giving more credit than was due. Next time I'll add "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" to the print. I thought every knew.

Agreed, there are good and bad engineers, as there are good and bad "users". If common sense were the rule, plastic bags wouldn't need warning labels.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #141
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Without engineers:

And I'm just starting.....there are good/bad engineers out there and I've worked/talked with both. The good ones are the ones that agree the design was "not right" and should have never made it past the drawing board. The bad ones are the ones that try and try to fix the problem then say "Well, it was made to work that way so you'll just have to figure out how to get it to work". Then continue to smurf up things because they can and never work hands on, other than the prototype that they have in the office.
In my experience it is very rare an engineer doesn't want to redesign a faulty design. Often time business decisions drive poor practices, rather than the conscious decisions of the engineers themselves. Like doing a design that was quoted for half of what it should have, not having the right resources to do said job, having to use inferior components due to designing to a cost, having to use an inferior preexisting design due to schedule etc. I find it odd there are so many complaints and bashing of a set of people who have created nearly everything we come in contact with on a day to day basis.

As for the battery thing. I think it could be better by having some way that the battery or the system recognizes when a new one is put in. It looks like that has been done with the new cars(redesign allowed them to improve). I am not sure whether this technology in battery charging allows batteries to last longer, but my guess is there is some science behind it. There may also be some legislation behind it like green credits or something.

As for the cost I think we can blame the fact that there is no standard pricing model for routine things that need to be done for vehicle maintenance. A battery replacement should not be charged by the hour it should be a nominal flat fee as there is very little risk and time involved. Many dealerships/service shops charge flat fees for things like oil changes, tire rotation, etc because of the low risk involved in the action this is no different.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #142
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
1 through 4 are largely, though not always, the result of marketing weenies. Case in point: the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

5, I've never designed anything I couldn't build myself, and have been on the floor countless times proving that if they had just FOLLOWED THE PRINT they could have built it, too. And, if I did mess up, I'll be the first to admit it as would 95% of the engineers I know. The other 5% just shouldn't be engineers.

6. Mea culpa for giving more credit than was due. Next time I'll add "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" to the print. I thought every knew.

Agreed, there are good and bad engineers, as there are good and bad "users". If common sense were the rule, plastic bags wouldn't need warning labels.
Right tighty, left loosey....ok. So what about heres a procedure to install new hardware on a product. It tells you how to assemble/disassemble it properly but forget to tell you that you need to re-route this line to this side or make sure that some shims are properly installed. So then after going WTF for a few minutes you do something that YOU think is correct and works to only be told it should have been like this because YOU SHOULD KNOW! Smurf that noise. I made it work fine this way, just because your Autocad says it won't work doesn't mean it won't.

So you might have been on the floor to design/build something but then when I come along to fix something "that should never fail", then why do I have to take this piece of equipment apart like I'm turning it in for scrap metal just to replace a this single board of resistors? Or try to fit this 80lb UPS into a tiny compartment on tiny rails with the power cords barely fitting and making it hard to fit?

The things I work on make you go WTF were these engineers thinking. Torque something to 11 in lbs because an engineer did research and it will work fine......but for us to use it for 2 days and have to re-torque it again only to be told to use loctite.....guess what? Loctite does work, except putting it on with the "good and tight" saying makes it stay on even better.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #143
Ski Killset
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

Ok did we decide what the best aftermarket battery was for the 1 Series or did the marketing and engineers fail to communicate and lose sight of the actual purpose of this thread?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #144
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Killset View Post
Ok did we decide what the best aftermarket battery was for the 1 Series or did the marketing and engineers fail to communicate and lose sight of the actual purpose of this thread?
I purchased BMWhat partially so that when the time comes, I can buy whatever battery I want and register it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #145
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

I think any battery is, as long as its within the same spec as the original battery and it can be "registered" to the car. I've yet to replace mine so I haven't looked to what would be a correct replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #146
Ski Killset
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

I just went and got a Duracell 90mAh / 720CCA. $144
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #147
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Killset View Post
I purchased BMWhat partially so that when the time comes, I can buy whatever battery I want and register it myself.
Going this route as well. BMWhat plus the OBII wifi (or bluetooth) dongle costs as much as the labour to replace and register the battery at a stealership but I just know that since I plan to keep the car for a few more years that I'll probably save money in the long run on problem diagnosis and pulling ECU codes. Worth the shot in my opinion.

Also sadly was unable to find a matching battery online cheaper than $280 CAD via the stealership so will likely buy the battery directly from them. The one that came in my car has lasted up until now (still hasn't quit), almost 7 years! How can you go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #148
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

Thank you this was a message from your beloved ruler of your free world.

But really….OMG…a LIPO battery for a road car….yeah ok…..the world dumb has been underutilized in modern history but the guy who thought that was a good idea is a fucktard. And the guy who buys a LiPo for his car is even dumber.

“Yeah dude because I track my car like once a year and like I can feel that 50lbs weight savings man…and my tires…filled with hydrogen gas…no idea how that blow out became a blow up but it was so cooooooollllll….have you seen my carbon fiber key chain?”

An no the dumb ass who buys the carbon fiber key chain will not be hunted nor killed off….we need guys like him to keep the price of carbon fiber low so that we can continue to enjoy F1…which when I’m rule of the free world will be limited by one thing….the cars must be manual transmission, no TC and there will be points awarded for style!
Since you are an engineer, does that mean you will kill yourself as well? If not, it should.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #149
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Well, I got my new battery. The Dealership wanted $432 for BMW Battery and to register it. An BMW shop (Enthusiast Auto) installed an Interstate Battery (MTP H8) for $191.95 and registered it for $57.50. Never before have I ever have a someone replace my battery but then, I never owned a over engineered BMW either. To quote ESPN " come on man.....". This WILL influence my purchase of my next auto, for sure. Life is to short to own a German car.
      12-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #150
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Somewhat related question from somebody very new to these cars. Mine cranks slowly (or at least it sounds that way to my unfamiliar ears). No battery warning light. Is there some sort of "smart start" that pulls the least amount of juice necessary? Or is my battery on the way out (ugh)...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #151
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Could be your HPFP (fuel pump) is going starting to go bad. N54 cars are known for it and some N55 cars have the same issue but not as many.

Its a common problem for these cars. But there is a difference between a car with a low battery vs a car with a bad fuel pump when trying to start it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #152
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Somewhat related question from somebody very new to these cars. Mine cranks slowly (or at least it sounds that way to my unfamiliar ears). No battery warning light. Is there some sort of "smart start" that pulls the least amount of juice necessary? Or is my battery on the way out (ugh)...
If its really cranking slow, I would check the battery first and make sure when the car is running you have about 14 volts. Also check the voltage when the car is not running. Should not be under 12 - 12.5.. It sounds more like a battery issue but not being there it's very hard to say.

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #153
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Voltage when it is supposed to be charging is a sure way to tell if it is, indeed, charging. The battery cannot put out 14V so if you have it, the charging circuit works. If you read low voltage with no load, that is also a sign either the battery needs charged or it is bad. But if the battery voltage is OK with no load it can still be bad with load. That is why the best test for the battery is a tester that will measure the voltage with a substantial load. They are not very expensive.
      12-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #154
oneprettybeast
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e88 6mt 135i vert, injen dci

Garage List
it can, if you have the professional model where you can also code, it has a battery adaptation command, and it set it. I have as n54, but it also works for the n55 because ive done it
Appreciate 0