BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Tom303
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Hidden storage or source of drone

Does any one know what the hidden area under the trunk felt pad above the battery compartment is used for? I put some microfibre cloth and nonskid carpet pad in this area and it sure sounds like the drone noise was gone. Could someone else confirm this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Fantastic find! Have to try this out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

On the older model 1s that is where all the add on modules like satellite radio and Bluetooth were installed, now that is all built into the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

And what you find in mine....

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
And what you find in mine....

Pure sex!!! Likely my next suspension (but for whatever reason don't see this installed much in the US just yet).
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom303
Does any one know what the hidden area under the trunk felt pad above the battery compartment is used for? I put some microfibre cloth and nonskid carpet pad in this area and it sure sounds like the drone noise was gone. Could someone else confirm this?
Gone, like a little bit gone, or completely gone?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Tom303
Private
Rep

I only have a little drive to work and it seems like more muffled. I need to have a longer drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Tom303
Private
Rep

The cavity is right above the LSD and the large exhaust tube; almost like a brass instrument. The muffled drone is like putting a sock in the bell of a trumpet to mute it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Of course, there is also the fact that lots of aftermarket exhaust and/or mid pipes minimize or totally cure the drone in 1Ms and they still have this cavity in place as it is from factory. I remember someone posting his findings a year or more ago when the drone threads were ultra popular and he was talking about similar stuff.

Since my drone is gone after new exhaust, I can't go and experiment now!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As luck would have it - I have a beach towel in my trunk right now. Will try out this 'mod' on the way home and report back tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Pure sex!!! Likely my next suspension (but for whatever reason don't see this installed much in the US just yet).

Get it fitted mate, it is great with plenty of adjustability at the touch of a button, well slide across a screen .... I have seen one of the US tuners fit it to their M3 just recently so it has not made it state side.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Nice find. I just posted it in the 'hidden gems' thread, with credits to OP (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637361).
      10-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit
As luck would have it - I have a beach towel in my trunk right now. Will try out this 'mod' on the way home and report back tonight.
Please let us know!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Confirmed.

Layered a folded thick beach towel in the open space and over the silver module (is that for stereo, I dont have idrive). Observations:

1. Cold start did indeed have a tad less rumble inside the cabin with windows up.
2. Warm idle and stationary throttle blipped also invoked a tad less rumble.
3. 2k to 3k rpm in 5th gear with light throttle application - noticeably less drone as well
4. After 7 miles in mid 70s temps, I removed the towel which was noticeably warm.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #15
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Confirmed.

Layered a folded thick beach towel in the open space and over the silver module (is that for stereo, I dont have idrive). Observations:

1. Cold start did indeed have a tad less rumble inside the cabin with windows up.
2. Warm idle and stationary throttle blipped also invoked a tad less rumble.
3. 2k to 3k rpm in 5th gear with light throttle application - noticeably less drone as well
4. After 7 miles in mid 70s temps, I removed the towel which was noticeably warm.

That is the amp for the HK sound system....so I am not sure I would totally cover it up with a towel as amps can generate some heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Tom303
Private
Rep

Mahlzeit-thanks for the confirmation.

This morning I took a longer drive ~15miles at various speed, rpms, and filling the cavity definitely reduce the drone considerably.

Here is what my cavity filler looks like...it is black magic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

since you know this muffles it, why not throw down a layer of brown bread or dynamat? if you have the HK system, you really don't want to choke off the amp by throwing, effectively, a blanket onto it. if you're worried about weight, don't be. it's really not that heavy and you can use "weight" as a good excuse for more mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I always thought that the HK ampf. is located inside the rear wheel arches since there were lots of diagrams showing it and written info regarding this. Guess I will go and check my car right now! (I also could not find 2 of the listed 10 speakers for HK in my car a year ago which made me crazy for sometime). Black magic indeed.

EDIT: I did check the area, nothing there just the cavity. So, either that silver module is not the ampf for HK or if it is that means that it is located differently in some cars/markets. Or, my HK sys. misses an ampf.!

Check this thread, especially post 13 from member eeghie:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489851
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-18-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Seems like you'll need a "asphalt" style mat on there to stop the resonating of the flat panel above the exhaust. Basically that flat piece of metal is acting like a speaker due to being directly over the exhaust. You want to stop that piece of metal from moving and amplifying the exhaust. A sound blocking technology like dynapad might not be the best choice as it is designed to absorb and block road noise and vibrations not prevent flexing or vibration of the panels themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ Tom303 - do you have the upgraded HK stereo?

@ ozinaldo - I think the subs are under the seats - that could be your missing two speakers.

Keep in mind my towel approach was only a test. No way I would pile thick blankets on top of any mystery module that has built in heat sinks for a long term solve. Now, IF I were to actually address this drone 'issue' I would fill the left side w/ something dense and soft. The right side I would think about installing something under the mystery module, while leaving it exposed on the sides and top to the cavity's air. That said - I think BOTH sides of the towel were warm.

NOTE: I will not address this 'issue' because I don't think it's an issue in the first place. I happen to love the rumble, and don't really consider the drone,...drone in the first place. I removed my 'mod' right after pulling up to my home. I find this discovery interesting, but don't plan to take action. I will however consider an N55 midpipe to uncork some performance and make the 1M exhaust awesome-er. Ultimately, I felt disappointed with the muted character....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Tom303
Private
Rep

@Mahlzeit-No I do not have the HK. My only option was heated seat except for the color, VO.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
@ Tom303 - do you have the upgraded HK stereo?

@ ozinaldo - I think the subs are under the seats - that could be your missing two speakers.

Keep in mind my towel approach was only a test. No way I would pile thick blankets on top of any mystery module that has built in heat sinks for a long term solve. Now, IF I were to actually address this drone 'issue' I would fill the left side w/ something dense and soft. The right side I would think about installing something under the mystery module, while leaving it exposed on the sides and top to the cavity's air. That said - I think BOTH sides of the towel were warm.

NOTE: I will not address this 'issue' because I don't think it's an issue in the first place. I happen to love the rumble, and don't really consider the drone,...drone in the first place. I removed my 'mod' right after pulling up to my home. I find this discovery interesting, but don't plan to take action. I will however consider an N55 midpipe to uncork some performance and make the 1M exhaust awesome-er. Ultimately, I felt disappointed with the muted character....
Mahlzeit, the subs are under the front seats I know, the missing pair was the rear tweeters; later an audio shop technician told me that they must be inside the same box and integrated with the rear midrange speakers so I was counting 8 "visible" speakers instead of 10. I chose to believe him for the sake of mental health

I am pretty sure that there can be a technical reason why some have the ampf. in the cavity while others (like me) have it in the documented wheel arch (driver side). Must be regarding the configuration of each car. Mine is without nav, but with HK plus CD changer in the trunk and bluetooth.

I still don't get it how certain aftermarket exhaust or mid pipe solutions can cure the drone since the cavity remains there.
Appreciate 0