BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
E82M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E82 M

Clutch Chatter

I now put on about 7500km on my 1M and I started noticing clutch chatter when the clutch pedal is not pressed down.
The chatter noise is only noticeable when windows are up and no music playing in the car.
I have been driving manual cars for about 7 years now and I am well aware of the factors that stresses the clutch.
Does anyone else experience the same problem and does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Possibly warranty with BMW?

I apologize if this is a repost of same topic, but I could not find it by searching on 1M section.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I had a bit of noise in my old 135i, but only when the clutch was pressed down, and not otherwise. I think, in my case, it was a dry clutch-release bearing.

Have you been back to the dealer with this yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

E82M, if the noise occurs when idling and in neutral (foot off clutch pedal), then it is most likely the dual mass flywheel. It is common on cars with DM flywheels. The general consensus is that it's not necessarily hurting anything, but it can be annoying to listen to.

Try pushing the clutch pedal in when you hear the noise and it should go away. If you release the clutch pedal back out very slowly, the noise won't be as noticeable.
      06-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Dual mass flywheels make that noise. Completely normal. Same noise across my E39 540i 6-spd, E46 M3, and the E82 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82M View Post
I now put on about 7500km on my 1M and I started noticing clutch chatter when the clutch pedal is not pressed down.
The chatter noise is only noticeable when windows are up and no music playing in the car.
I have been driving manual cars for about 7 years now and I am well aware of the factors that stresses the clutch.
Does anyone else experience the same problem and does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Possibly warranty with BMW?

I apologize if this is a repost of same topic, but I could not find it by searching on 1M section.
Just make sure it is a flywheel noise and not something else.

Is it worse with the AC on? What does it sound like, a bunch of loose screws and nuts in side the transmission?

If noise is excessive, perhaps the spring mechnism is wornout, which requires the complete flywheel to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
NjSant
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
What does it sound like, a bunch of loose screws and nuts in side the transmission?
+1 I have been hearing something very similar to this but only when maneuvering at very low speeds (i.e. parking, pulling into/backing out of garage etc.) Also, to me it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcrazy View Post
+1 I have been hearing something very similar to this but only when maneuvering at very low speeds (i.e. parking, pulling into/backing out of garage etc.) Also, to me it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car.
If you are hearing a similar noise from the rear, it might be the M-diff chattering away.
Appreciate 0