BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

boost hose failure , grr

Hi guys , i know that im not alone with this issue.
After my initial running in service i turned the traction off and went for a blast only to blow a lower intercooler hose off almost straight away.
After getting the bmw dealership to take a look over and tighten ALL the boost pipes i thought that would be the end of this annoying and some what embarresing issue.
Lets face it. Having to return to the garage due to any relyabilty issue isnt great news when showing off your new toy to your mates lol.
Next dry day and first propper time shes let rip ( again with a friend on board) and sure enough - theres a ton of waste gat noise and a pop from the exhaust and no turbo pressure.
This time i went to my pals workshop and tightened all the hoses includind the top hose which had come lose then informed the dealership of the fault.
They ordered a new hose although i couldnt SEE a noticeble defect in the original and all was fine for a few months of spirited driving.
Until today.. Tc off, slight sideways moment in second coming off an empty roundabout and you guessed it ...POP!
This time i think its the bottom hose as the top ones are all tight.
The car is standard and due to this issue im not able to mod for fear of having to constantly check into the dealership to get it fixed up on the ramp.
Im also waiting on spec r to have time to build me one of their custom inter coolers ( mine will be the first 1M to have one) and will also get a hard pipe kit made at the same.
Has anyone else suffered this repeatedly as im at a loss on how to prevent it.
Its not the same pipe every time so im assuming the whole pipe run is not fit for task???
Cheers jamie
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hmm you weren't in the black 1M that followed me yesterday near Gatwick were you? I was in a white 1M.

On your issue I've never heard of this problem. But I'd make sure the dealers fix it before you do any mods!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive not seen another black 1M around my way and was driving through crawley etc yestetday. So it probably was me..
Didnt notice any 1m's yesterday tho. Where were you? Lol

Last edited by octainejunkee; 07-10-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

It couldn't have been you as the black 1M definitely tried to chase me down and got level with me and gave me a big grin
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Are you sure it's a hose that's coming loose? Far more likely, it's the charge pipe popping off the intake manifold. It's a "corrugated" plastic pipe that is attached to the throttle body with a c-clip.

It's very common for the charge pipe to either pop-off or tear along a molded seam and there are reliable aftermarket charge pipes available from Evolution Racewerks and Cp-E Engineering, among others.

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 07-10-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

On my other turbo charged cars, I replaced all of the regular hose clamps with Tbolt clamps. They work a lot better. Another trick, is to spray the inside lip of the hose with hairspray. it makes it sticky and helps the hose grip. I have done that when running 25psi on my turbo cars and never had any leaks after that. Id start with the hairspray, if you know any girls or use some yourself because its Freeee. Let us know if some of those work.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Charge pipe

Took my 1M to first track day event about a month ago at Hastings, Nebraska; a NASA TT (time trial) event. First section in MDM mode; had a great time. Second session tried all off; great fun with throttle induced over-steer. Fourth lap and into limp mode. Charge pipe broke, it did not come off. Broke all the way around just below the c clip and split down the center of the pipe. Back in KC to the dealership and the they replaced the part. But, said it was the same part; no updated part at this time.

Long tow for 1 and 1/2 sessions. Should probably go with, or at least carry after market charge pipe in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

its not good enough thats for sure.
ive looked and it definetly not any of the top hoses this time.
i love the car but until i have uprated hoses made for it i dont trust it to be reliable now which is going to make road trips to scotland or the ring a no no.
il talk to the dealership today and see what they say about me having custom hardpipes made for it and find out where il stand with regards to warranty issues.-they must be fed up with my car by now aswell.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
its not good enough thats for sure.
ive looked and it definetly not any of the top hoses this time.
i love the car but until i have uprated hoses made for it i dont trust it to be reliable now which is going to make road trips to scotland or the ring a no no.
il talk to the dealership today and see what they say about me having custom hardpipes made for it and find out where il stand with regards to warranty issues.-they must be fed up with my car by now aswell.
Again, the only common failure that I'm aware of relates to the charge pipe, not a hose. And it's really simple to repair.

In order to see where it attaches to the throttle body, it's helpful to remove the airbox.

Neil
Appreciate 0