08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Akrapovic Wireless Kit - Wiring

Hey guys,

Just curious, how did you guys wire the Akrapovic wireless kit when you installed it? According to the directions, there's a grey / yellow (I think) cable off your tail light, but that only provides power if the tail lights are on.

Are the Canadian cars different? Our tail lights don't come on with the DRL. I "fixed" the problem by running a line to the fuse box, couldn't find a switched 12V in the trunk (didn't look very long).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Hey guys,

Just curious, how did you guys wire the Akrapovic wireless kit when you installed it? According to the directions, there's a grey / yellow (I think) cable off your tail light, but that only provides power if the tail lights are on.

Are the Canadian cars different? Our tail lights don't come on with the DRL. I "fixed" the problem by running a line to the fuse box, couldn't find a switched 12V in the trunk (didn't look very long).
I didn't have an issue with mine, but I think CAD cars are indeed different than US spec cars with DRLs enabled. I believe there was the same question posed by a UK member who experienced your issue. Can't recall how he solved it, either doing what you did, or asked the dealer to reprogram tails.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've installed mine at a dealer and yes there are some issues but wouldnt call it worrying issues with this kit ..

its never clear when the valves are open or closed even if the button inside the car shows white but you can feel it that its open because of the wiring and lighting .. if I keep the lighting to auto then it keeps it switched on even it i press the valve button .. but if i keep the lighting on off then it remains fine and quiet and only opens according to the button.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
pizznal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Had the same issue with my install. So now I'm powering the wireless kit from the fuse box. Not sure why some US car have this issue and some do not.

Akrapovics install instructions show where to get power from the fuse box...
http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...6b91639e8a.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
For those of you who have it, use a wire tap connector and clip it to the power outlet lead in the trunk. You'll have constant power feeding the wireless receiver.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
I've installed mine at a dealer and yes there are some issues but wouldnt call it worrying issues with this kit ..

its never clear when the valves are open or closed even if the button inside the car shows white but you can feel it that its open because of the wiring and lighting .. if I keep the lighting to auto then it keeps it switched on even it i press the valve button .. but if i keep the lighting on off then it remains fine and quiet and only opens according to the button.
Is your key fob flashing? Because it should be obvious when the valve is open / closed. In my case, when hooked up to the tail lights, it would only operate if the light switch was in the parking lights on / headlights on indicators, but wouldn't work in auto or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizznal View Post
Had the same issue with my install. So now I'm powering the wireless kit from the fuse box. Not sure why some US car have this issue and some do not.

Akrapovics install instructions show where to get power from the fuse box...
http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...6b91639e8a.pdf
That's awesome. My install booklet didn't have this part in the manual. I must be awesome, because that's EXACTLY how I ran my wire to the fuse panel. Lucky guess! (I have some other low amperage stuff hooked up to that fuse, so I guess it was obvious, now that I think back....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheil View Post
For those of you who have it, use a wire tap connector and clip it to the power outlet lead in the trunk. You'll have constant power feeding the wireless receiver.
I think when I was on the phone with PSI, they were trying to get me to locate this wire. Unfortunately, my car even though is "fully loaded", doesn't have this power plug in the trunk. Would have made sense to include this with every car, so you can use it to power the air compressor in the trunk!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IUnfortunately, my car even though is "fully loaded", doesn't have this power plug in the trunk. Would have made sense to include this with every car, so you can use it to power the air compressor in the trunk!
NA cars sadly don't have this, and I agree, would be very useful. Just as the smokers pack would have been to have an extra lighter adaptor for portable Navis, radar detectors, chargers, Akra valve button, KW suspension button, etc.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
NA cars sadly don't have this, and I agree, would be very useful. Just as the smokers pack would have been to have an extra lighter adaptor for portable Navis, radar detectors, chargers, Akra valve button, KW suspension button, etc.
I completely agree. I actually purchased the cigarette lighter and ashtray and installed it myself. I used the little ashtray to install an STI detector and I run my Akra valve button in the socket next to it. Going to research what the KW suspension button looks like! Hopefully I have enough room to accommodate that when I add it!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I completely agree. I actually purchased the cigarette lighter and ashtray and installed it myself. I used the little ashtray to install an STI detector and I run my Akra valve button in the socket next to it. Going to research what the KW suspension button looks like! Hopefully I have enough room to accommodate that when I add it!
Great job! Mind sharing part #s and what's involved? I would like to make that retrofit. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

This is the link:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...42&hg=51&fg=35

I purchased everything inside box "6" (lower left). The harness isn't plug and play... Surprisingly, if your car didn't come with the smokers package, there's no harness for the cigarette lighter. You'll need to wire it up to the fuse box. I didn't bother with the illuminated ring (I couldn't find an illumination wire... I looked for about 5 minutes. . Everything works though.

Edit: Quick clarification. The socket has 3 wires. +Pos, -Neg and an illumination wire for the ring around the socket.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Is it better to wire it to the plug or fuse box? Does the plug still works?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Is it better to wire it to the plug or fuse box? Does the plug still works?

If your system works fine with the headlights in 'auto', then you're fine. If you need to turn your headlights on AND you have a plug in your trunk, I'd just wire it there. You tap it from behind (giggity) the socket, on the actual wire... So you can still continue to use the socket (plug).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
If your system works fine with the headlights in 'auto', then you're fine. If you need to turn your headlights on AND you have a plug in your trunk, I'd just wire it there. You tap it from behind (giggity) the socket, on the actual wire... So you can still continue to use the socket (plug).
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0