BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Just came back from having the car coded by this guy
http://www.car-coding.de/

BLUF: worth every penny (euro). Strongly recommend having this done if your going to spend more than 12 months here.

1. Turned on traffic notifications on CIC navigation system. Now I get updates on stau und baustelle

2. Activated velocity in Kph on center display. No more squinting to see Kph dial.

3. Turned off tire pressure sensor system and activated european system based on wheel speed (older system prior to MY 06). Allows me to purchase winter tire and wheels from ATU with no worries.

4. Turned on traffic information or allows the user to turn on & off because it can be annoying.

5. changed the system to recognize an activation code for map updates. Should I desire to update my european maps (they are 4 years old) I can simply go to the dealer and buy the DVD enter the provided code and update the database.

6. Activated the Bluetooth function of the MULF high box. Now All I need is a cable & antenna (I have lost voice control until such time).

7. I now have 8 radio preset stations instead of 6.

8. Changed the radio to move up the dial at 0.1 increments. For those in Italy (Vicenza) or in areas where AFN is broadcasting on an even decimal this is nice.

In so much as one can be professional & organized in the Burger King parking lot Frank was thorough. He has a printed list of each customers needs and he double checked all settings prior to sending me on my way.

It is too bad BMW does not (this is what Frank told me) provide European map updates on North American spec vehicles. I would gladly paid Euro prices for map updates & traffic information.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by smellthebeans; 02-11-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
The guy that did mine was Thorsten in Munich last year. Very straight and thourough. I have to save this link.
      02-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
your welcome...I hope to see everyone soon.

The car is beginning to transform into something closer to my previous E90 330i.

Now I have to work on this crappy 2010 base radio.
      02-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
The guy that did mine was Thorsten in Munich last year. Very straight and thourough. I have to save this link.
Thorsten coded my FL high Backlights
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Number #3 is very interesting doe's it still shows same on your i drive and works same way just without sensors?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Yes, so far no issues on the Idrive menu there is an option to initiate/reset tire pressure just like the old E90 330i. It looks the same.

I won the car at auction (repo). Apparently, the previous operator already had that taken care of. There is a RF receiver someplace in the trunk that must be unplugged.

The end result is the same.

- The previous US system (eliminated by federal regulation in MY 2007 NANNY STATE!) used the stability control system to monitor wheel speed at all four wheels and compare it to a base line. If one of the wheels suddenly or gradually came out of tolerance you received the warning. If you added air to any tire or adjusted your air pressure the operator must set a new baseline for the system to check against. This is the current system used in the EU.

- The new system actually uses pressure sensors attached to the valve stem. The sensors send a small RF signal to a monitor/receiver in the car. The receiver plugs into the Idrive or cars computer system. With this system you simply add air to the offending tire and the fault goes away. At least that is how it worked on the 2010 Jetta TDI. It is very accurate. In the Jetta pressure drops of even 1 pound caused the system to throw a warning.

Hope this helps.
      02-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Can you code U.S. cars to use the old TPMS system; i.e., use the wheel speed sensors rather than the tire valve seem sensors? This would help a lot of people out fitting winter and aftermarket wheels, avoiding the cost of getting an additional set of TPMS sensors, and maintaining the system's function.
      02-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Can you code U.S. cars to use the old TPMS system; i.e., use the wheel speed sensors rather than the tire valve seem sensors? This would help a lot of people out fitting winter and aftermarket wheels, avoiding the cost of getting an additional set of TPMS sensors, and maintaining the system's function.
Yes my is US Spec. Not sure how or what feature he turned on. Basically it was some German dude (the website is located above) who I met in a parking lot behind Burger King!

He had a hand held device that plugged into the OBDII port. He clicked on the device screen, the idrive system rebooted several times. Next thing I know the traffic data started to come in, the legal disclaimer went away, ect ect ect.

I felt like I was doing something VERY illegal...like buying crack or something.

Last edited by smellthebeans; 02-12-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
I felt like I was doing something VERY illegal...like buying crack or something.
^^

Yes, Thorsten coded my car too last year. He is a good guy and he knows his Sh%@! Did he show up in his new 1M ?

I think Thorsten must know where every Burger King is in Deutschland! We met him at the BK in Nurnberg last year. He must have done tweenty cars that day! Frank works for Thorsten I believe.

Here was my write up on the coding event...

1er Forum Coding Event…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452070

Btw... anyone can change their radio country code. You just turn on the radio and push and hold the "M" button until you get into the hidden menu. I made a video showing how to do it...

DIY Radio hidden cookie menu – gaining access…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441064
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
yeah Frank is very knowledgeable. I could have sworn he was an employee of BMW. This was well worth the money.

No 1M Coupe. He flew & took the train I guess (I did not see a rental car). However, there is a lucky feller driving a Valencia Orange with Eslingen plates who passed me on the B27.

- I wonder if he (they) could activate the Sirius receiver? Not that it would work in Germany but it would be nice when I get home?

Last edited by smellthebeans; 02-12-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes my is US Spec. Not sure how or what feature he turned on. Basically it was some German dude (the website is located above) who I met in a parking lot behind Burger King!

He had a hand held device that plugged into the OBDII port. He clicked on the device screen, the idrive system rebooted several times. Next thing I know the traffic data started to come in, the legal disclaimer went away, ect ect ect.

Ok thanks again. But can you clarify I have now stupid TPMS sensors and I want EU system to through sensors away but still to have tire monitoring system. Is that possible you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^

Btw... anyone can change their radio country code. You just turn on the radio and push and hold the "M" button until you get into the hidden menu. I made a video showing how to do it...

DIY Radio hidden cookie menu – gaining access…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441064
sorry not everyone just cars without I-Drive those I-Drive you have to code.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ohh shoot! Your right RimasRS... I forgot about cars with iDrive.

As for your question about keeping the USA TPMS and also having the EU(Rest of the World) tire monitoring system that uses ABS sensors... I think you should ask Thorsten at www.car-coding.de I would think its one system or the other, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ohh shoot! Your right RimasRS... I forgot about cars with iDrive.

As for your question about keeping the USA TPMS and also having the EU(Rest of the World) tire monitoring system that uses ABS sensors... I think you should ask Thorsten at www.car-coding.de I would think its one system or the other, though.
So that's cool I want EU ABS system instead of sensors...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
frank_dc
Rep
Drives: 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Ok thanks again. But can you clarify I have now stupid TPMS sensors and I want EU system to through sensors away but still to have tire monitoring system. Is that possible you think?
We can change from pressure-based TPMS ("RDC") to the EU system "RPA" which is based on the wheel speed by coding.
Further to coding the electronic control unit of the RDC system needs to be unplugged or removed. This can be done before or after coding (we prefer before).
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_dc View Post
We can change from pressure-based TPMS ("RDC") to the EU system "RPA" which is based on the wheel speed by coding.
Further to coding the electronic control unit of the RDC system needs to be unplugged or removed. This can be done before or after coding (we prefer before).
One more thing... after coding will I be able to see same menu/screen (car picture) on I-Drive? or it will be displayed in a different way?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
It looks exactly the same.
      02-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I don't know about that unless yours is showing a 1er. When I got mine coded for some reason I have a british ckick talking and the picture that shows is of a touring on my Idrive.
      02-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It looks exactly the same.
Interesting is CIC I-drive (old style) will do the same, because somebody mentioned me that this menu section will disappear and in case of low tire I will get just a warning light.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #20
frank_dc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
One more thing... after coding will I be able to see same menu/screen (car picture) on I-Drive? or it will be displayed in a different way?
It looks a little different. After changing from RDC to RPA you will get the RPA menu as in European cars.

After changing tires or wheels you can initialize the RPA system using this iDrive menu.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
frank_dc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
I don't know about that unless yours is showing a 1er. When I got mine coded for some reason I have a british ckick talking and the picture that shows is of a touring on my Idrive.
Looks like the coding of the CIC head unit was not done properly...

We are able to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_dc View Post
Looks like the coding of the CIC head unit was not done properly...

We are able to fix this.
then we definetly need to talk some more. I will try to shoot you a message later today.