BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #45
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
No, not at all. I am just saying if BBS was using a 6000 ton press, instead of an 8000 ton press, the quality of their wheels would be equivalent. BBS also offers cast wheels and cast/rotary forged wheels as well.

Chinese companies relatively new to the automotive business quite often have the latest and greatest equipment (brand new forges, CNC's, etc.), but where they lack is the years of experience and Engineering ability of the more established European and US manufacturers.

BBS makes great wheels because of their employees and what they know (their racing heritage is outstanding), not necessarily the tonnage of their forges (though I agree, a company that invests to maintain state-of-art equipment, shows they are serious about their business and the quality/technology of their products).

I agree with your viewpoint on wheels. I just think BBS is also using their 8000 ton press as a good marketing tool.

PS: Sorry for the thread jack.
China also is crap for making wheels because there is no ethic for workmanship in China. Everything is just as cheaply as possible, with no concern for quality, safety, or environmental thoughts.

I actually haven't read anything on the BBS website that touts 8000 ton presses, it is just something I happen to have come across over the years. I know not all their wheels are forged, which is frankly why I don't have much love for the CH line and such.

Once again, I really wasn't pushing BBS. I happen to have them and enjoy them, but they were not my primary suggestion. I was merely painting the field of what would be good choices, and BBS was among them. For most people on the average wheel budget, APEX would be the good choice.

My main goal is to steer people away from the awful "Luxury Performance" and made in China segments of the wheel market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

I run 17's on my E46 M3 too (w/255s all around). I agree.
I'd love to see some pictures if you want to PM them to me!