BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Lakeside Trackday 8th October

Ok all you guys that live in South East QLD and sometimes feel sorry for your cars because you just can't drive it like it was supposed to be driven, and especially for all you guys that I spoke to at the Motorkahna at MtCotton, here are the details for the next track day at Lakeside. This is known as the best drivers track in QLD and you will all be hooked after having a go. You can drive as fast or as slow as you would like, leave traction control on or turn it off, drive fast down the straight sections and slow around the corners if you are worried about taking it off the tarmac. This really is the best way to drive your BMW and there will be people out there with both fast and slow cars and skill levels ranging from professional to first timer. There are professionals out there on the day that can ride along with you to give you tips on everything. So here are the detials, I'll be there, if you have any questions feel free to ask:

Hi all,
Time to dust the cobwebs off your helmet! The Club's last track day for 2010, on Oct 8, is now open for bookings. We have opened the bookings a little earlier than usual, as we would like to make sure Club members have the first opportunity at securing a spot on the day. We have only 40 spots available - and it already seems we will fill these pretty quickly - so don't delay, get your booking in place ASAP! To add a bit of extra value to the day, we will have Ash Miller (son of Club member Graham) along to help with driver training on the day. (See http://www.team-dhr.com/ for Ash's profile.) To make your booking:

Firstly you will need to email me (ie reply to this email) or Kristian ksteenstrup@hotmail.com or Ian ians@bmwclubqld.asn.au to the get the member's discount code.

Secondly visit http://www.bmwclubqld.asn.au/Filesto...t-Lakeside.htm to make your booking and have a look at the timetable for the full day (note - we will be trying to get on the track by 9.30am, not 10.00am...) and the requirements for your car & gear.

Lastly, could you please email me (rgresham@ozemail.com.au) once you have booked via the website, as this will give us a double check system and make sure we can update everyone as to how many spots are left as we get closer to the date. Please let me know what car you will be bringing and a Lakeside or QR Clubman/Sprint lap time, so we can start the allocation of running groups. If you are a first timer or do not have a lap time, please let me know this, so we can cater for your requirements on the day.

Looking forward to seeing you there.
Richard Gresham #210

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
1988 E30 320i track car with 2.7L stroker engine and all the trimmings.
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Who is attending? I'm keen!
      08-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
For those of you who aren't members, I'd strongly suggest you join the club. It's an excellent group of enthusiasts who enjoy their cars with as much passion as I know a lot of you enjoy your 1'er.

For those that are fiscally minded, you also get 10% off parts and servicing at Brisbane/ Westside BMW (maybe Motorline too, but I don't use them and am not sure) which pretty much pays for your annual membership fee.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

This sounds really cool, I can't believe I'm only just seeing this now. Any other 1addicts attending? It would be good to catch up with some familiar faces. This would be my first track day. My only concerns are that my front brake pads are close to needing replacements and I have a feeling my hpfp will die any day now.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
This sounds really cool, I can't believe I'm only just seeing this now. Any other 1addicts attending? It would be good to catch up with some familiar faces. This would be my first track day. My only concerns are that my front brake pads are close to needing replacements and I have a feeling my hpfp will die any day now.
Get the HPFP changed. It's been dying for a while and if you've thrown up codes then the dealership should change it for you.

As for the brakes, Lakeside has really only two braking points and if you don't drive at 10/10ths you don't really need to be mashing the pedal to the floor on them anyway.

I need to orangise some tyres as the ones I've got now are on their last legs, so I'll the new set I'll get will purchased with a track day or two in mind.
      08-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Do you need a helmet and/or special license?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
Get the HPFP changed. It's been dying for a while and if you've thrown up codes then the dealership should change it for you.

As for the brakes, Lakeside has really only two braking points and if you don't drive at 10/10ths you don't really need to be mashing the pedal to the floor on them anyway.

I need to orangise some tyres as the ones I've got now are on their last legs, so I'll the new set I'll get will purchased with a track day or two in mind.
PM replied regarding tyres

Yes, I might have to take it in. I had the reduced engine light come on this morning with zero power, it was impossible to redline. It's becoming dangerous now.

The brakes are good, I just hope they don't fade. I should be right and as you said I can take it easy and there is no reason to go 10/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Safety wear: Full length clothing, Helmet. (no open, high heel shoes)

Current civilian drivers license and/or AASA competition license (to be presented during sign on), (Drivers who are not old enough to have a departmental drivers license, but hold a AASA license, and have relevant track experience can participate).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Yes, you do need a helmet but a motorbike helmet is fine. You also need to wear full length clothing whilst on the track (Jeans and a long sleeved shirt are fine) I would love to get as many of you involved in this day as possible. I've already book myself in. I suggest you reserve a spot sooner rather than later as Lakeside can be a popular event.

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm locked and loaded. Now, to find some boots.

I echo Anthony's sentiments, if you are going to do a track day, Lakeside is the one to do. If you've done a day at QR and enjoyed it, you can forget about what you thought was a good track; Lakeside is an infinitely better track with off-camber corners, blind corners, gradient changes, and The Kink (muhahahahahaha!)
      08-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

um, no one has answered the insurance question....

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Pretty sure no insurance company will cover the car on a track?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:

I echo Anthony's sentiments, if you are going to do a track day, Lakeside is the one to do. If you've done a day at QR and enjoyed it, you can forget about what you thought was a good track; Lakeside is an infinitely better track with off-camber corners, blind corners, gradient changes, and The Kink (muhahahahahaha!)
Oh yeah, I remember going flat out through the kink on my old SV650S. Good times!

Quote:
Pretty sure no insurance company will cover the car on a track?
Spot on.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

If any of you don't have a helmet but want to go, I've got a spare. So if you want it just let me know...

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
um, no one has answered the insurance question....
I have heard a couple of the people at these track days say that some of thier insurance companies do cover them, Shannon's in particular. Just a matter of finding out. At the end of the day, if you are driving your car well within your capability and not the other way round there should be no cause to worry about damaging your pride and joy. There are very strict rules about passing and getting too close to other drivers. You are also put in groups of cars that do similar lap times so it minimises the need for passing.

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

I might have a chance of going to lakeside just to watch as i don't have track tyres and wheels and the other week at lakeside scrubed my tyres more than i liked brand new pirelli p zeros too bloody expensive for the track.
      08-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
MissJess
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Subaru Impreza R

Quote:

Brilliant track. Looking forward to coming out and seeing what you guys can do around Lakeside (work permitting)...
      08-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Wedding anniversary........................
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #18
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Wedding anniversary........................
erm, wedding anniversary GIFT

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
erm, wedding anniversary GIFT
yes... not sure if I even want to try for a response lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
Ian S
Private
Rep
Drives: 330ci, E30 328i

Hi guys,

As you can guess...I'll be there with the E30. Lakeside is my favourite track, and I'm looking forward to giving the E30 its first real workout.
Just gotta get the brake proportioning sorted to balnce the front to rear a little better.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Hi guys,

As you can guess...I'll be there with the E30. Lakeside is my favourite track, and I'm looking forward to giving the E30 its first real workout.
Just gotta get the brake proportioning sorted to balnce the front to rear a little better.

Ian
Welcome to the forum Ian! You should introduce yourself, your "Frankenstein" track car and your (rather senior) position in the local BMW community to the forum.
'Hope to see you all on Oct 8.
Tim.
      08-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #22
Ian S
Private
Rep
Drives: 330ci, E30 328i

Gawd Tim, Why would i want to do that...people might think i'm big-noting myself. Maybe I'll start a new thread for it....
Appreciate 0