BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #23
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

While I'm glad to see GM bring out the G8 it in no way is comparable to the 135. The G8's competition will be the Dodge Charger and perhaps as a poor man's 5 series (not a bad thing a I view Mazda as a poor man's porsche/BMW, its why I bought one).

With the varibale displacement it should get good mpg for its size and engine. Remember this is a 4000lb car so upper 20's is pretty good. Again that is only for the V8, 2 6's will be offered as well, one with DI (as used in the new CTS).

While I'll be cross shopping a 135 with a camaro (G8 platform mate) I'm sure I'll be one of the few who do.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #24
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

GM=Weak-suck resale value. End of story.
      10-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #25
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
GM=Weak-suck resale value. End of story.
I'm not a fan of the G8 and I don't think that ANYONE will be cross-shopping it and the 1er, but it's somewhat unfair to say "GM=Weak-suck resale value. End of story." My hunch is that, yes, the G8 will have poor resale value. It's an unattractive, overpriced car, IMO. But you can't necessarily say that the mere fact that GM makes it is the reason for its low resale value. GM makes a lot of cars, and some of them (e.g., the Corvette) have decent resale value. The Pontiac Solstice was rated in the top 10 in resale value, according to Kelley Blue Book.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/11/27/...lue/index.html
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I'm not a fan of the G8 and I don't think that ANYONE will be cross-shopping it and the 1er, but it's somewhat unfair to say "GM=Weak-suck resale value. End of story." My hunch is that, yes, the G8 will have poor resale value. It's an unattractive, overpriced car, IMO. But you can't necessarily say that the mere fact that GM makes it is the reason for its low resale value. GM makes a lot of cars, and some of them (e.g., the Corvette) have decent resale value. The Pontiac Solstice was rated in the top 10 in resale value, according to Kelley Blue Book.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/11/27/...lue/index.html
Truth is as a whole GM's resale value is very very poor. It may not be fair, but it is the truth!

Put 100,000K of miles on any, and I mean any GM product. The value goes straight out the window.

Facts don't lie. They just dont.

Nothing personal.
      10-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #27
audisp0rta4
Rep
Drives: 05 Mazda Rx8

There are too many haters in the euro community blind sided by their devotion to their respective marks. BMW is my favorite car company but I am still very open to any other enthusiast car out there.

I think its wonderful that GM finally felt the burn from its competition and finally started importing/designing more competitive vehicles for us. I could never understand why GM and Ford could sell high quality cars overseas and peddle a bunch of garbage on its domestic customer base. The G8 is a great step forward for GM and is a definate sign of great things to come from the General. I would definately consider a G8 as an affordable and enjoyable daily driver so I could preserve my 135i for nights, weekends and track days!
89 Nissan 240sx (sr20det) -sold
03 Ninja ZX6R 636
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

^ I somewhat agree.

It will take more than GM pulling their heads out out of their ass' and a few new model to get me to buy anything from them. You would be better off buying a new accord or something that would still be worth 4500 after driving it for 175000 miles. The GM, if it still ran, would be worth 1000 tops. If that wholesale.
      10-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #29
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

:roundel:
      10-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #30
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

The problem with GM and any of the domestics really is a large number of vehicle in the past have gone to fleets and are sold at fire sale prices. This is due to two things or primarily two things. Idle plants and workers cost money so its actually cheaper to churn out product and flood the market than it is to stop production or reduce shifts (This may have changed with the new UAW contract under vote). Secondly lack of focus. GM has too many brands/products and spreads its resources to thin. This also begets bureaucracy which reduces focus even more and slows/befuddles decision making.

Give the domestics another 5-10 years and I think things will be considerably different, either they will file chap 11 or be much improved.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #31
Number_6
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Put 100,000K on miles on any, and I mean any GM product. The valve goes straight out the window.

Nothing personal.
Buick Grand National? '94-96 Impala SS? Corvette? Even 4th-gen F-bodies with the V8 hold a lot of resale value. GM's "good" cars hold value reasonably well. It's the fleetmobiles and crap models (of which there are plenty) that drop like a rock.

I drove two 4th gen Z28s for five years (each), and at trade time got back half of what I paid for 'em. That's not bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #32
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Buick Grand National? '94-96 Impala SS? Corvette? Even 4th-gen F-bodies with the V8 hold a lot of resale value. GM's "good" cars hold value reasonably well. It's the fleetmobiles and crap models (of which there are plenty) that drop like a rock.

I drove two 4th gen Z28s for five years (each), and at trade time got back half of what I paid for 'em. That's not bad.
Yeah those are all cars I hold a high regard for. Just not GM as a whole. I do also like those GOATs like the one you are rollin.

:headbang:
      10-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #33
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
overpriced car
And the 3 series isn't????????????????????????????????????????????? ????? $40k + for a compact sports sedan is a lot of money if you ask me. Aside from that, the majority of people that "own" 3er's can't even afford them. That's why so many cars in the premium segment(including the 3er, along with all other Bimmers) are leased to begin with(aside from so many careless individuals that don't want to maintain a car- but that's a whole-nother story).

It cracks me up how many of you dog on GM and it's products. Remember, it's GM that's helping keep jobs in this country and contributing to our GDP. Not BMW. Fuel saving technologies are not only already availalbe(even on this car) but many are on the way as well. If you even bother yo do your research, GM is at the forefront of hybrid and alternative fuel technology. Ignorace is bliss.

As for the G8??? You'll be seeing an awful lot on the streets and your local track. From what I read this car can actually hold a candle to the 3er and other well known handling cars, despite its size. Power, performance and value sell, and the G8(along with other forthcoming domestic RWD cars) will be another testament to this fact. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #34
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/28/v...ms-reliabilit/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 12:09 AM   #35
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
And the 3 series isn't????????????????????????????????????????????? ????? $40k + for a compact sports sedan is a lot of money if you ask me. Aside from that, the majority of people that "own" 3er's can't even afford them. That's why so many cars in the premium segment(including the 3er, along with all other Bimmers) are leased to begin with(aside from so many careless individuals that don't want to maintain a car- but that's a whole-nother story).

It cracks me up how many of you dog on GM and it's products. Remember, it's GM that's helping keep jobs in this country and contributing to our GDP. Not BMW. Fuel saving technologies are not only already availalbe(even on this car) but many are on the way as well. If you even bother yo do your research, GM is at the forefront of hybrid and alternative fuel technology. Ignorace is bliss.

As for the G8??? You'll be seeing an awful lot on the streets and your local track. From what I read this car can actually hold a candle to the 3er and other well known handling cars, despite its size. Power, performance and value sell, and the G8(along with other forthcoming domestic RWD cars) will be another testament to this fact. :roundel:
Good write-up. I totally agree with you. I dont like comparing it to the 1er because they are very different but the price is very competive. The interior is very attractive too. Not to mention GM LS engines are very very responsive to easy mods such as intake/headers/exhaust. Go GM. I'll definitely give one a drive.
      10-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #36
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Remember, it's GM that's helping keep jobs in this country and contributing to our GDP. Not BMW.
Three words: Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Also, production is expended to increase at that plant to help offset the currency exchange woes.
      10-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #37
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT
overpriced car
And the 3 series isn't????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
Hey, man, when did I say it wasn't overpriced? I'm a freakin' Civic owner who never even considered buying the current version of the 3-series when I was shopping for cars last year. Nonetheless, BMW has proven that it CAN command premium prices. Can Pontiac? Frankly, I'm somewhat skeptical that there are a lot of folks out there willing to drop 30 large on a car like the G8.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #38
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep

How many Chargers and 300C's do you see on the road? Most will be over 30k. Keep in mind you can get a Camry and an Accord up to 30k and if you blink a VW passat is in the 30k range.

Once you get into the bigger mid-sized cars or large cars (New accord now qualifes as a large car) 30k MSRP is not hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #39
gwballin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I do also like those GOATs like the one you are rollin.

:headbang:
Now there is an example of a car with less than great resale value.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #40
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Three words: Spartanburg, South Carolina.
And???? While that does show up in our GDP, the money goes to Deutschland(GNP).

I'm not ragging on BMW, but as time goes on and prices keep going up, it's becoming harder and harder to justify the purchase of one of these fine machines. No one can predict what's going to happen w/ the dollar vs. the euro, I personally thought the damage was done, but many others who are far more knowledgeable than I say otherwise. Only time will tell.... Funny enough though, MB and Audi manage to price their entry level sedans below $40k, even with popular equipment but BMW wants you to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #41
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
Now there is an example of a car with less than great resale value.
Resale Value means diddly, a car is a depreciating asset. Period. Buy what you can afford and like, then go to bed.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #42
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
And???? While that does show up in our GDP, the money goes to Deutschland(GNP).
Your original statement was incorrect. BMW contributes to our GDP and provides thousands of jobs to the citizens of South Carolina. You can not put GM on a pedestal when BMW clearly contributes a fair amount as well (and is increasing their involvement in the US).

And your point that MB and Audi have their entry-level sedans priced below 40,000 dollars (while BMW does not) is incorrect and a very narrow-sided view. The 335i is significantly more powerful than the C350 and A4 3.2. In fact, in performs of out right performance, the 328i is very competitive against the C350 and A4 3.2 while starting at a smidgen over 30 grand. :wink:
      10-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #43
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Your original statement was incorrect. BMW contributes to our GDP and provides thousands of jobs to the citizens of South Carolina. You can not put GM on a pedestal when BMW clearly contributes a fair amount as well (and is increasing their involvement in the US).

And your point that MB and Audi have their entry-level sedans priced below 40,000 dollars (while BMW does not) is incorrect and a very narrow-sided view. The 335i is significantly more powerful than the C350 and A4 3.2. In fact, in performs of out right performance, the 328i is very competitive against the C350 and A4 3.2 while starting at a smidgen over 30 grand. :wink:
Pardon me teacher; I already said BMW contributes to our GDP. Pay closer attention next time.

I'm not talking about performance for the dollar, we're talking purely price point, and the BMW is the most expensive, model for model. Secondly, how the hell am I being narrow-minded???? Just because I don't bend over to whatever BMW NA deems "fair"????? Sorry, I just don't play up to an automotive company because they just so happen to churn out some of the best products in the industry. Lastly and frankly, I don't care how many people BMW Manufacturing employs in 1 state. GM employs thousands more than BMW does and ever will, and hell that's not for just this country but the world. Anyways, I digress.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #44
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Pardon me teacher; I already said BMW contributes to our GDP. Pay closer attention next time.
Clearly so. I was reiterating that the two points that originally mentioned, GDP and jobs, were incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch
Secondly, how the hell am I being narrow-minded????
Because you are simply comparing the top model of each of the ranges assuming that they offer similar features which is factually incorrect. The 335i is significantly faster than the MB and Audi, has more standard equipment, and, at least for the 2007 A4, larger inside. You can not just ignore performance as it one thing you absolutely have to pay for to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch
we're talking purely price point
Hence, narrow-minded. :wink: