BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Convertible back seat headrest removal?

I tried to take the headrest out (to better fit a booster seat), but it doesn't seem to come out. I can only adjust it up and down. Is there a way to take it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ View Post
I tried to take the headrest out (to better fit a booster seat), but it doesn't seem to come out. I can only adjust it up and down. Is there a way to take it out?
It is not supposed to come out because the headrests are part of the rollover protection system. In trying to remove them you will break clips that need to be replaced, if you haven't already done so.

Ask me how I know.
      04-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
It is not supposed to come out because the headrests are part of the rollover protection system. In trying to remove them you will break clips that need to be replaced, if you haven't already done so.

Ask me how I know.
Uhh mine come out and go back in no problems at all.

The headrest - you just push the button and pull up - give it a good wiggle and a bit of upward force and it'll come out. The rollover system is behind the headrest, so removing the headrest and putting a baby seat in is no problem - the baby seat sits in front of the rollover system.

It's necessary to remove the headrests and their mounts to get behind the back seats (for me, to install the SmartTop, but also for BMW to get to the rollover system). Instructions for removal of the back seat is here: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...all_1er/en.php

Photos of my car here (sorry for the orientation):

Last edited by xQx; 02-13-2023 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      04-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

The headrest - you just push the button and pull up - give it a good wiggle and a bit of upward force and it'll come out. The rollover system is behind the headrest, so removing the headrest and putting a baby seat in is no problem - the baby seat sits in front of the rollover system.

It's necessary to remove the headrests and their mounts to get behind the back seats (for me, to install the SmartTop, but also for BMW to get to the rollover system). Instructions for removal of the back seat is here: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...all_1er/en.php

Photos of my car here (sorry for the orientation):
I think it is possible that different countries have different regulations, and the cars might be set up differently depending on where it was sold. My comments were what I was told by my dealer in the USA when I was having this issue (removing the seat rests in the back to get better visibility rearward). I can tell you that the headrests in my E88 (135is convertible) do not pull up as you describe.
      04-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
I think it is possible that different countries have different regulations, and the cars might be set up differently depending on where it was sold.
Quite possible.

I'm pretty sure the reason we all have to hold the open/close button down for the entire operation is due to a german or US regulation which doesn't exist elsewhere (which is the whole reason the SmartTop exists).

"No Problem" was an exaggeration - certainly the first time I removed the headrests it wasn't easy, they needed a lot of force more and wiggling than you'd think is 'normal'; but I couldn't see any reason why they were stuck, and they just operate as normal now (click in two or three positions then remove with gentle force).

But they need to be removed to remove the back seats; and I believe you need to do that to inspect the rollover protection which is part of the maintenance schedule - so they must be able to come out somehow in a non-destructive way in all regions.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
I think it is possible that different countries have different regulations, and the cars might be set up differently depending on where it was sold. My comments were what I was told by my dealer in the USA when I was having this issue (removing the seat rests in the back to get better visibility rearward). I can tell you that the headrests in my E88 (135is convertible) do not pull up as you describe.
I have a 135i vert in the USA and I removed the headrest by pulling them out as described above. Just give it a good tug and wiggle......
      04-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

To the OP, yes, these can come out, you just need to make sure you push in the side clip and head rests should pull straight up. If you are trying to remove the back seat, then that's a different story and takes some work to remove the headrest post surrounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

push the 2 clips and pull "HARD" they do come out, if never moved may be stuck.

and NO not dangerous or part of the rollover protection

Mine is out for winter and in for summer
(for visibility with top up)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'm in Canada, classed as NA

mine come out

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

OH OP, PUT a thick towel down, to protect the seats from marking and notches from the booster.

DONT ask me how I know this
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Again, all I can do is to tell you my own experience and what I was told by the lead tech in my dealership who works on all of my cars.

I tried to remove one of the headrests (not following the protocol given here) because I did not anticipate ever having passengers in the back seat and I wanted to improve the crappy rearward vision when the top is up. I could not get the headrest off, but again, did not do it as described here, since I was assuming that it would just pull up and out easily as has been the case with other headrests I have removed in the past on other cars.

I mentioned this at the dealership and what I was told was that the headrests are part of the rollover protection system and are designed (with plastic clips) not to be removed, and in fact that I had broken one or more of these clips in the process of trying to remove the headrest. They ordered the broken part and on a subsequent visit they replaced it (under warranty).

You can take this reported experience in a number of different ways:

(1) The tech was correct (my interpretation because he has shown himself to be smart and very capable in my experience). Although there are other elements in the car to the rollover protection system, the headrests being in place are part of this system and not designed to be removed, at least not to be removed by the car's owner. That is why those clips (a cheap part) are in there in the first place;

(2) The tech is lying, not knowledgeable, or clueless -- I don't believe this, knowing him.

(3) related to #1 -- if in fact the headrests do need to be removed periodically to examine some other parts of the rollover protection system, this is intended to be done in the shop by certified techs. The clips are there to prevent the casual user/owner from removing the headrests, and when the tech removes them for an inspection of whatever he is inspecting, that the part is cheap and can be replaced easily should the clips break at the time of said inspection.
      04-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

I think you can buy a seat protector for the booster seat. Do it, the marks will never come out.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Again, all I can do is to tell you my own experience and what I was told by the lead tech in my dealership who works on all of my cars.

I tried to remove one of the headrests (not following the protocol given here) because I did not anticipate ever having passengers in the back seat and I wanted to improve the crappy rearward vision when the top is up. I could not get the headrest off, but again, did not do it as described here, since I was assuming that it would just pull up and out easily as has been the case with other headrests I have removed in the past on other cars.

I mentioned this at the dealership and what I was told was that the headrests are part of the rollover protection system and are designed (with plastic clips) not to be removed, and in fact that I had broken one or more of these clips in the process of trying to remove the headrest. They ordered the broken part and on a subsequent visit they replaced it (under warranty).

You can take this reported experience in a number of different ways:

(1) The tech was correct (my interpretation because he has shown himself to be smart and very capable in my experience). Although there are other elements in the car to the rollover protection system, the headrests being in place are part of this system and not designed to be removed, at least not to be removed by the car's owner. That is why those clips (a cheap part) are in there in the first place;

(2) The tech is lying, not knowledgeable, or clueless -- I don't believe this, knowing him.

(3) related to #1 -- if in fact the headrests do need to be removed periodically to examine some other parts of the rollover protection system, this is intended to be done in the shop by certified techs. The clips are there to prevent the casual user/owner from removing the headrests, and when the tech removes them for an inspection of whatever he is inspecting, that the part is cheap and can be replaced easily should the clips break at the time of said inspection.
Tech is clueless your headrest has nothing to do with the rollover protection. If you don't want the headrests just take them out and move on with life. Not a hard process!
      04-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
Tech is clueless your headrest has nothing to do with the rollover protection. If you don't want the headrests just take them out and move on with life. Not a hard process!
And your opinions on automobile manufacturing and rollover testing comes with what sort of evidence of its veracity?
      04-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #15
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
And your opinions on automobile manufacturing and rollover testing comes with what sort of evidence of its veracity?
Simple, my dealer.....
      04-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #16
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
Simple, my dealer.....
Well then it is settled; your dealer knows more than my tech.

NOT
      04-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Yes, they did come out after wiggling and pulling harder. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
Well then it is settled; your dealer knows more than my tech.

NOT
Glad you finally saw the light