BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #23
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Yes...it makes the effort of ordering tyres ex-US very compelling. Was quoted $4,000 for a set of Michelin PS2for the M3 locally!!!! I've heard of quotes in the region of $1,500 landed in Oz. That's a hell of a difference! Would be worth buying two sets.

Stuff the balance of payments deficit!
That's cheap! Might tyres are about to go, and I am going to be putting PS2s on. Too bad you live in Perth.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Amk, I got quoted $850 a corner here for 18s and 3 weeks to deliver. $4k for the 19s sounds almost reasonable! Mine were $1800 landed from tirerack in less than a week, including taxes. It was quite painless, email Gill, pay online, pay the taxes when they turn up.

I think one of the other members in Perth was considering an order too; could save a bit more in shipping. But regardless it's a much better deal.

Sparoz, definitely go the PS2s, absolutely incredible grip levels, comfortable and minimal road noise. Wear has been quite good too, so really happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to put up a sticky on the whole process. I'm OK with the ordering process but a bit unsure on how the taxes are paid here in Oz. Are the goods held in bond until you pay the import duty / GST? Can you pay the seller via VISA etc or do they require Western Union or similar?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeez I wish Remus did a sport version for the E90.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #26
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

A sticky would probably be really good, since a lot of people are likely to do this now.

In short, this is the process;
Decide on tyres - type, size, quantity
Email gill@tirerack.com with your order and address

He'll send you price & banking details

They only accept telegraphic transfer into their account - you can do this online. Just need to break their account number into two and enter half into the BSB bit (at least for Westpac). No Visa or MC payments unfortunately.

They get on it pretty quick once the money clears and send you the tracking info for FedEx shipment.

Then you get call from FedEx with customs charges. I think it's 15% and GST 10%, there is also some handling fee etc from customs. My total came up to $380 odd on a $1450 odd order (Inc. Shipping). You can pay this via credit card and yes, they hold the goods in bond till paid. I am not too certain on the customs charges, maybe someone can confirm?

Then they just deliver it to your door/work.

Then get local tyre shop to fit and hope they don't destroy your rims. I would take pictures with the date for safety.

It's a pretty easy process. Let me know if you have any specific questions - happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #27
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Thanks for the info alik. I guess the next thing would be to create a list of competent tyre fitters in each state with a rough indication of price. I'd be seriously surprised if anyone pays local prices for tyres again!

That is until the local importers and dealers petition the govt to ramp up duty and charges or deem these products prohibited imports to protect the local industry..........

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

No problems. As you said I think it's harder to find someone proper to fit it. When I was in Perth I use to take the car to the place near my apartment on Murray St; Carbon Tune I think. The guys there were really good and they would take it to other places for tyres and stuff. Up here Bridgestone Select is the only place to go, they are terrific! Wish I went to them first with mine.

The importers have to pass on the savings eventually; they can't jack the prices up when the dollar is poor and claim hedging when the dollar rises. Above parity is the new equilibrium; so need to start adjusting pricing accordingly. Don't you just love wishful thinking!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

We use to have it in WA around 1995, HBF trialed it at places but everyone was scared they were going to be tracked or some crap so it never took off.

i've been to japan a few times and amazed how easy payments are over there with the right gear. They just swipe their phone at a ton of places and away you go

And in regards to the finger print scanning, we use to have that when I was 17 (1995) and worked at dewsons (like a woolworths). We scan to start our shift and scan to finish our shift. Hi tech yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Actually the technology has been around for over 15 years - just the slow uptake in Australia. Interestingly though, it was trialled on the gold coast as visa cash card when it was first become popular overseas, but the uptake was very poor here. Interestingly, I thought it was actually an Australian company who developed the smartcard technology (may be Keycorp?). What's new though is combining the technology with your visa card instead of an independent card.

amk's issue would be felt by many. I think there needs to be an option for an individual to set their daily limit and transaction limits for wave and go. Also, the ability to temporary block all transaction with just a phone call, or jump on online banking would make it saver. I guess people just need to associate the technology is the same as having cash in your wallet. If someone's taking your wallet, you would have lost the cash.