BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
How I got a "good" deal in NJ on my 135i

Let me start by saying that I was not out for invoice. I wasn't hoping for invoice because I know how things work in the NJ/NYC/CT area with premium cars and their dealers. In most cases, you pay MSRP or sometimes markup.

That being said, I knew that I wanted to get a good value price for my 135i. I did my own homework, I knew exactly what I wanted to order, all the dealer would have to do was take the order and make a few bucks. I was doing ED and PD so they wouldn't even have to PDI the car.

I started by visiting 2 of my local dealers for quotes. No negotiations, just to see what was out there. Both salesman gave me somewhat descent polite quotes, $1k off and $1.1k off MSRP.

I went home to "think" about it. When I got home I went on bmwusa and pulled up all the dealers I could find in NJ. I called each one. The conversation went a bit like this.

Me: Hi, I'd like to come in and order a 1 series this week for production with European and Performance Delivery. I was wondering if we could talk about a price over the phone so that I can be prepared for the cost of the car before arrival. I want to be honest, I will be shopping around for the best price, but I am wiling to tell you what price I want. This should make this easy without much guess work for both of us.

The dealer on the other end usually fell into 3 categories. I also had a few that asked me to come in and wouldn't discuss price over the phone, but I politely told them that I would either let them quote me on the phone - or I would not come in.

Dealer 1) Sure, lets find out what options you want, and I'll call you back with a price.

Dealer 2) I'm sorry we don't have pricing information for 2009 yet, but I'll give you a call when I get it.

Me: Really? I have it right here - do you have a fax/email I can send it to?
Them: What? Ok cool! Wow.

Dealer 2 - 20 min later) Sure this is very helpful, let me give you a call back in a little while.

Dealer 3) I'm sorry we do not offer discounts at all on European Delivery cars, you know you are already saving $2500.

I called 12 dealers in 1 afternoon. I got 7 calls back, and the rest I guess just decided to ignore me.

The Dealer 1 style phone calls went rather well. Some were surprised at what I was looking to pay... ($1600 off MSRP) = ($1200 above invoice) A few of them called back to tell me that they thought I was being ridiculous and should look elsewhere.

2 of them totally came through. One called me back within an hour and said, that they could do that price, and that I should come by to meet their team.

The other called and said that they would beat my asking price, and offered $1750 off of MSRP.

The quick response was actually from a dealer ~ 20mi from my house down a very clear highway (rt 78). I was happy and placed an order from them last week.

I am very excited to be joining the 1 community, and even moreso glad that I got to pay the price I wanted. I know some of you have paid a lot closer to invoice, and even some of you in NJ may have gotten a better deal, but I am happy that I shopped around and got the best I could.

I was also not too quick to just choose a dealer based on price... My family has owned many BMW's before and has dealt a few times with 2 of my most local dealers. We have always been disappointed one way or another with both of these dealers - so I decided to give someone new a shot at our business.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
oh before I forget:

I chose Alpine white, everything but ski bag, black interior w/ grey poplar trim
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Nice! Congrats and well done. Im going to see if i can't use your approach when i attempt to buy my own 135.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

Well done, and congrats!