BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
jay3
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Odd situation... looking for input

At my local dealership, my salesman was able to find a 08 135i that I liked on the computer, which was out of state and had to be shipped down to me. I put a deposit on it and we finalized a price and everything, signed all the papers etc. I was told that it would be ready for me in a few days to a week. Now, a couple days before I'm supposed to take delivery of it, I see a listing on Cars.com for the exact car (I have the VIN) on the local dealer's listings (but not directly on their website). It says "new listing" which I only saw in the last day.

Is it just me or is it a bit dishonest to list a car that they just brought in from out of state to sell to someone that has already put a deposit on it?

(Left details out to preserve anonymity)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

A bit dishonest yes, but assuming the deposit is refundable, they may be protecting themselves in case you drop out.

There may simply be some miscommunication between sales and inventory manager. I wouldn't hesitate to call them about it and ask. You're not accusing them, just a simply inquiry, making sure you're all on the same page, protect you and them. Could be an honest mistake.

Some car buyers are very protective of their purchase. My salesmen knew this, and moved my car to the back and hid the keys the day it arrived. Said customers and employees had their hands all over it. Let the dealer know you mean business, and you're on your game.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
actually it may be nothing. Many dealerships, us included, have our systems set up automatically. As soon as a car enters our inventory, sold or not, it immediately posts to our webisite & few others that are linked to us. The car is still sold, but the system does not know the difference. If someone calls, we just inform them that the car is sold
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
jay3
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
actually it may be nothing. Many dealerships, us included, have our systems set up automatically. As soon as a car enters our inventory, sold or not, it immediately posts to our webisite & few others that are linked to us. The car is still sold, but the system does not know the difference. If someone calls, we just inform them that the car is sold
Ah thanks, I had a suspicion that was what was actually happening.
Appreciate 0